PDA

View Full Version : I need some help with this one

MissMouse
06-28-2001, 10:01 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jun-2001/johnhamsm.jpg
I am using arches 260 lb cold press for this. I really messed up on the leaves in the right. How can I get some highlight in them. Will I be able to sponge or blot this paper? There is a very light coating of lifting prep on the paper. I plan on using WN designers Gouache for the hammock strings.
Thank you
Thanks everyone - I used your advice + an idea of my own (salt) here is the correction. I also tested the gouache and it did look awful, that stuff went back in my son's art box. He is a High School art teacher, so I raid his supply all the time :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2001/treecorr.jpg

Eliz
06-29-2001, 03:08 AM
I've found Arches to be a very sturdy paper. I've had good success lifting by brushing on water, waiting 30 seconds, then gently scrubbing with a stiff brush, or even a tooth brush. If you have a scrap peice, you might want to practice on that. I was surprised how hard I could scrub without damage.

For lifting complicated shapes I've had good luck using scotch tape as a mask. I cut the shapes out of the tape with an xacto knife (being very careful not to cut the underlying paper!) It was nerve wracking, but it worked. Again, try it first on a practice sheet.

Good luck!

Liz

(I love the little tree in back, btw)

billyg
06-29-2001, 06:46 AM
Miss Mouse.
How are things going. You have yourself a difficult painting here which you are doing good work on. Foreshortening is real hard.
Anyway, if it were me - for your hammock ropes , I would either scratch them in but only as an indication that they are there. Dont try to be exact or perfect looking with them.Opaque white in water colour work generally looks dreadful. Or another way I sometimes do grasses for example is, to rewet the area where I'm going to work and score the lines with the edge of a plastic card.The wet paint runs into the score marks and creates a darker line.
Your little tree in the background has too little joining it to the world with just that little squiggle at the bottom, it looks a bit like its floating in green mist.Good opportunity to float in some darks to give a contour and depth back there.
Again on your leaves a few little scratches or some lifting out will show some skyholes and highlights.
Dont paint the hammock and the lucky guy too strong or they will leap out of the painting.
All in all I like the idea of the painting, is it from a photo ?.
Have fun and Paint like a Millionaire.
Billyg :D:D:D:D

RuthT
06-29-2001, 08:08 AM
I am no expert, but my suggestion would be to lift as much color as you can by any of the above methods. Don't try to get back to white highlights, just drop some yellow, or reddish orange into the paper whilst still damp. This way the highlights will blend better and not be too stark. A test piece is a good idea.

Good luck with the highlights, it is a really nice painting.

Jann
06-29-2001, 09:32 AM
What a nice painting! I'm just a raw beginner, but I love what you're doing here. I agree with all of the above, and I might add just a few darker shadows below the hammock and the right side of the tree to enhance the direction of the light source. Lifting is a great idea to soften some of the greens. :p
Jann

MissMouse
06-29-2001, 10:13 AM
Thank you for all the help, I am working on those leaves this morning. I am not even close to painting the figure, thanks for the tip Billy I was going to give John a red shirt but will change my mind to a more muted color. The trees are going
to have ground cover around the bases.

Rod
07-01-2001, 01:29 AM
To produce your final highlights you could use rough sandpaper or a sharp pointed hobby knife and gently scrape through to the white paper. Before you do this make sure the paper is completely dry,
Rod.

domsanto
07-01-2001, 01:39 AM
Rod's knife advice works pretty good.

In the future you might want to use masking fluid for some highlights.

Lise
07-01-2001, 05:32 AM
Lovely picture. Lots of good advice given already. Hope you'll post again when you've completed.

MissMouse
07-01-2001, 06:29 AM
Thank you, and I will use masking fluid for the highlights next time. I read where you can put it on with a toothbrush. I will do some practice things first.