PDA

View Full Version : Elk Oil Painting

jdeure
06-13-2014, 12:12 PM
I am new to Wet Canvas but hope I am on the right track. I am painting an Elk standing at the water's edge, somewhat foggy in distance. My challenge is: how much hair do I paint in detail and how do I do it? Perhaps with a glaze? Right now the colors are there, but is flat. The Elk is not close, close up, but is a full body view. I think it does need some color in the brown neck area indicating hair or brush strokes indicating hair. I know you probably need to see it right? Any thoughts out there?

birdlady
08-04-2014, 10:01 AM
hi Jdeure..welcome to the forum.. when you get 3 posts in here I would love to see your painting. I know many in here that could help with this so will wait to see what comes in posts til then.

Laurie

Use Her Name
07-13-2017, 02:06 PM
I would ask (hypothetically) how far would the elk away from you if the elk was in real life, 100 yards? 20 feet? Then that is how much "hair" perhaps. I think the hair really depends on your artistic style. A more painterly artist would "designate" hair without getting into microscopic detail, a more realistic artist might paint all the lines possible. Either way, it becomes like painting the leaves on a tree or the blades of grass-- at some point, you need to stylize. The more you stylize, the less realistic, and the more cartoony you might get.