PDA

View Full Version : Do you know if it fits?

AnnaLisa
06-11-2014, 11:37 AM
Hi guys!

I have been thinking a long time to buy a Heilman backpack. Now I shall
do so. But I am not sure if Mount Vision pastels fit into the box.

Do you know?

When I look at the Picture on their webpage, the pastels on the right side
seem to be so big that the lid wonīt fit without crushing the pastels. The
pastels with a White label maybee is Mount Vision.

Maybee some of you have the backpack with Mount Vision in it?

westcoast_Mike
06-11-2014, 12:36 PM
It's the same depth as the Original (which I have). Mount Vision's will fit fine.

http://heilmandesigns.com/?page_id=292

AnnaLisa
06-11-2014, 01:37 PM
Thank you Mike for answering so fast:clap:

Now I will order the box, at last I have decided.

Also I will order some Mount Vision. We pay an extra 25% of
the cost when ordering overseas. But who cares when it comes
to pastel boxes and pastels:)

What paper do you prefer when painting with the MV?
I see that wallis and Uart are not that available as they were
Before.

Thank you again!

robertsloan2
06-11-2014, 02:27 PM
With the price on MV and their size, even the increased cost may still result in net savings. I've always been stunned by how much you get for your money with those.

I thought my Mount Visions performed beautiful on Colourfix paper, which is my favorite sanded paper. Partly because I love the variety of colors available in it and the primer that lets me use ordinary watercolor paper if I'm short on the real Colourfix and have the same surface. I default to watercolor paper with Colourfix primer.

I also bought Colourfix Supertooth primer right when I moved. To my surprise, it comes out in the range of Wallis and the coarse Uart. It's very toothy, it may be a good alternative for you. An advantage is that I don't have to worry so much about brand shortages because any all-rag acid free watercolor paper works with it. I just get whatever's on sale when stocking up and discover texture differences.

Hot Press and some Cold Press/Not Surface papers are similar and the surface identical to the printed Colourfix papers. I'm just doing a labor step the producers do when I combine that with the primers. Some Cold Press/Not and almost all Rough papers will add another texture to the grit texture, which can be its own interesting broken color effect.

It also means I've got practice paper on cheaper watercolor pads that has the same surface as my good paper. This is really great for studies and preliminaries, I'm not left having to adapt to a different texture from the study to the painting.

Congrats on the Heilman! Those always tempt me...

westcoast_Mike
06-11-2014, 02:28 PM
I'm currently using Uart. I've used Wallis in the past, as well as PastelMat with good success.

AnnaLisa
06-11-2014, 02:50 PM
Thank you Robert for the congrat,

I have now ordered the box!!! I have been waiting and waiting not
knowing which one to order. But I found out that the backpack has
shoulder straps which not all have. And that I need.

I also ordered the easel which seems to be very good to have when
not using the ordinary easel. Hmmm the freight was $60 and the
custom? cost maybee $83 haha but its Worth when buying quality I
guess.

About the papers, thank you for your info. I ordered one time a colourix
supertooth paper and I was a little surprised that it didnt have more tooth
to it compared to the ordinary colourix paper. But its good to see that your
supertooth primer has more tooth. Maybee I shall try that one.

I have one primer of colorix which I also use on watercolour paper and that
primer is very good. But since one use different kind of sticks its nice to
test different Surfaces (as long as the paper doesnt eat up the stick too much)

Mike, I Believe that Uart is a very nice paper. I have not tried it yet, I have one sheet that I will try later. Does Wallis eat up your sticks or why did you
stop using Wallis if I may ask?

westcoast_Mike
06-11-2014, 05:14 PM
I was running into a consistency issue with thwe Wallis for a while. Uart was available and I wasn't having the same issues so I switched. I can also order Uart factory mounted on card stock. Nice for Plein Air and makes framing easy. I like PastelMat a lot as well. It just comes in odd sizes for US frames.

Still-trying
06-11-2014, 06:32 PM
Check out the price of The Fine Arts Store in Rochester NY. I think you may find them a bit cheaper even than buying from mount vision direct. I mean the Mount Visions.

AnnaLisa
06-13-2014, 10:35 AM
I see Mike, consistency problems, thats not good. The paper is rather
popular so I hope they will fix the problem.

Uart seems to be very nice, the finer grit Close to Ersta I Believe.

I got a reply from Heilman that they have shipped the box, wow they are
fast!!!!!! I ordered also the easel, very good thing when not taking the usual easel with me.

Have you guys made an account with them? I did when ordering, but then
its funny because I dont find anywhere to login:confused:

Thank you still-trying for your info. I know about that store, I have been buying from them and they are fast.

I have been listing the MV I want, and the list Went too long so I have to
cut it a bit...

Now I am looking at the Terry L, (which I have the 10 set of and donīt like that sooo much dust comes in my hand) but I like the vibrancy of the colours! Unfortunate the shop doesnt sell the TL openstock so I have to
buy a set. I am after the V100 colour and only one of the dark sets has it.
Unfortunate its not the set I want, the darksI has a lot of reds in it. The darksII looks better with those colours but doesnt have the V100...

When it comes to paper, the shop doesnt sell uart or wallis any longer.
And one thing I donīt understand is the difference between the Richeson/Unison paper and the Unison paper. They are shown on different
pages and they have different colours.

I must be careful hehe to go through many stuff since its better to buy one
time and not miss anything instead of buying several times with only a couple of items per time.

Colorix
06-13-2014, 12:33 PM
Contact TL himself, I believe he can make a custom made set for you.

AnnaLisa
06-13-2014, 02:16 PM
Hi
I was thinking that I shall buy open stock. I saw the Most wanted violets
14 stick set and there was the V100!

Then I figure out that I can pick my own pastels because the price will be
almost the same at Terrys website.

Another thing I have noticed about Mount V is that I read on the page that
they are non-toxic but then when I Went to the resellers website almost
every colour, at least the tinted ones say Ca prop65....so its not correct
then that they are non toxic.
But I will buy them anyhow.

I found Uart single sheets in the shop, they werenīt under the pastel Surface
so I thought they didnīt have them.

I try to figure out how on earth people with the Heilman box can handle
the TL inside the box. I Think I need to protect the whole inside of the box
with foam Before putting any TL stick inside, otherwise dust will be all over
the Place:) I have been looking at the Vibrant 60 set for a while, super nice
colours. But then I asked myself What will you paint with those colours?

Can you use it for more than flowers? (I mean the dark ones)
I found out that the open stock colours donīt look like the colours in the set-photo. I will now pick certain colours from that set, in the open stock instead.

I donīt understand how the hours just pass when looking at the pastel sticks.

westcoast_Mike
06-13-2014, 02:48 PM
There is a prop65 warning for just about everything. Lead crystal wine glasses have a porp65 warning. It was another over reaching, feel good law passed by the Good Citizens here on the Left Coast.

The Heilman box have memory foam on the bottom inside of the box as well as the lid. The TL's will do fine in it without additional alterations.

Potoma
06-21-2014, 12:34 PM
I donīt understand how the hours just pass when looking at the pastel sticks.

This made me giggle. Here I am on Wetcanvas after a long hiatus so I can look at what people are doing plein air and to carry their pastels out and about. I do not have a studio set up and wind up opening box after box of original boxes when I go someplace.

Of late, I decided I need either a Heilman backpack or a Dakota box. I've gone through the French Mistress, the Roz Bag, the French easel, the Soltec, the photo tripod, the Mabef tripod, you name it.

In essence, I've gone all around but the prize - seeking yet wary of the gold. As I write this, I realize I should break down and get the Heilman backpack because that is what I've been dancing around all along. It would work on a tripod I already have, either photo or Mabef with its arms for support.

I also looked at Easel Butler to use with a photo tripod and use the attachment to make the tripod's clip into the painting surface's support. But then I'd need something to make the shelf on the Easel Butler on which to set the expensive pastels. So out went that idea...after a couple hours.

But you can see the time I've put into this instead of painting! We all have! Cheers!

A few weeks ago, a friend asked me what I did that day. Saying I researched pastel equipment online all day just didn't sound like full enough a day, but it was. And my head was equally full.