PDA

View Full Version : where to begin?

kaz
04-04-2000, 11:43 PM
I tried acrylics and found out my wife is allergic to the odor even after it`s dried.So I thought I`d try watercolor`s, could someone please mention any helpful advice such as book`s video`s, or helpful thought`s.

------------------

[This message has been edited by kaz (edited April 06, 2000).]

Rod
04-05-2000, 05:17 AM
Hi Kaz,
Have a look here at wetcanvas artschool online the watercolour section has painting demo's tip's and much more,
http://www.wetcanvas.com/ArtSchool/Watercolors/index.html
Rod.

------------------
Watercolours from New Zealand (http://www.artistnation.com/members/paris/rod/)

kaz
04-05-2000, 01:06 PM
Grumbacher Academy Acrylic`s they have a slight odor even when dry. My wife has asthma, so even some slight odor`s effect her asthma but I know not everyone`s asthma is like this, her sister could work in a paint store with her asthma and never have an attack.

------------------

amanda
04-05-2000, 06:30 PM
I'm not sure what other people think but I have been using ordinary folk art (tole)acrylics for my paintings for the past year of so and they work fine. They don't have any odour so if you wanted to continue with acrylics maybe you should give them a go. I use 'Folk Art' brand by 'PLAID'. I bought them in Australia but they have made in America on the back (Plaid Enterprises, Inc. Norcross. GA 30091 - 7600). I also use Jo Sonja brand acrylics. If you really like acrylics and you want to continue, maybe you should give em' a go.

amanda
04-06-2000, 12:54 AM
Hi, I was just wondering what type of acrylics you are using becuase I use tole painting acrylics and they don't appear to have any odour really (or atleast I can't smell it).

kaz
04-06-2000, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the helpful advice from everyone and thank`s Amanda I was able to find the Jo Sonja brand and I hope they will work.

------------------

amanda
04-06-2000, 05:41 PM
No problem, I do hope they are ok, I have no idea about how permanent they are or anything but they work for me. Hope you enjoy them.

marcelo_camera
01-09-2002, 06:38 AM
Hi all,

The weblink that Rod sent to us isn't work more.

I think that this other is appointing to the same contents..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/ArtSchool/Watercolors/db_index.html

Leaflin
01-09-2002, 08:45 AM
Hi Kaz :)
Sorry to hear that about your wife's allergies.

In addition to all the wonderful information you can find here at WetCanvas I woud recommend any of Zoltan Szabo's books.
I bought my first one in 1971 and have really enjoyed his work.

Wishing you success in your endeavors :)

Bone*Diva
01-09-2002, 09:58 AM
Kaz...
You've GOT to try watercolor! I painted in oils and acrylics for years...then, only because a good friend pushed and pushed me to try them.....attempted watercolor. I fell in love and have no desire to turn back!
There are so many wonderful things about watercolor. For one - your brushes will last forever! I was buying brushes like nobody's business, but my watercolor brushes are many of the same ones I started with. I don't believe I can smell any of my watercolors - with the exception of Rose Madder which is just heavenly.
My advice is to start with good supplies. The student grade supplies may leave you frustrated. A solid set of brushes will make life so much easier....so buy the best you can afford right off. A wonderful new friend of mine turned me onto www.danielsmith.com and I am finding their paints to be VERY nice. You should be able to find some great supplies at a discount online. Ebay is a WONDERFUL place to find discounted items.
Try to find a class. My life would have been easier had I taken just a basic class first. I self-taught and when I did finally find a teacher decided I had set myself up with some bad habits. It's much better to learn it right the first time.
Here's my tip of the day: Let the first layer dry (unless you have big changes to make) before moving onto the next phase. It's so tempting to mess with the paint to "get it right"...but your painting will turn out much cleaner if you STOP and go in later for another layer.
Gosh, I'm just full of advice this morning (not like me at all ;) I'm just SO turned on to watercolor (as if you couldn't tell), and passionate about encouraging people to try it! Ok...I'll let you get back to your painting now!
Lisa Luree

pampe
01-09-2002, 02:42 PM
Hi, Kaz and welcome!

Artist quality watercolor (Windsor and Newton, Sennelier) don't have smell....except for rose madder which smells like roses....

You could also visit www.handprint.com which has ALL KINDS of info on paints.....chemistry, etc.

Can you paint other than in the house where she is?

Maybe that's a dumb question, but ....:D

Pam