PDA

View Full Version : Inked - WIP

KKing
06-09-2014, 02:41 PM
Here is my current project. I'm going to start a series of portraits, and decided this was a good one to start with. This is 10x8

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2014/1089532-image.jpg

I over scratched the hair, which is nearly white, and the diluted it down. I'm a little worried that the hair isn't going to match the style of the skin. If anyone has any suggestions Id love to hear them :)

PaintDog
06-09-2014, 06:35 PM
She's looking great so far - love her eyes! The hair texture won't be the same as skin, of course, but if you're worried about a difference in tone, you might wash some parts of her with ink to carry that tone into other places. Maybe just the tattoo? I think you'll see better what you need to do once you're further along.

Looking forward to updates!

ggart4u
06-10-2014, 07:04 AM
What I see so far is that her hair is smooth while her skin is textured. You could re ink part of the hair and put texture in it with some scratching instead of using the fiberglass brush. As Ann said, depends on what you do with the rest of the portrait. I'd wait to see how it looks as you go. Great start!

KKing
06-10-2014, 08:23 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2014/1089532-image.jpg

I ended up finishing this much faster than I thought I would, stayed up late last night watching the new season of Orange is the New Black and doing this. I'm unsure if this is done or not, I like the way it looks in person, but photos make the skin seem uneven and blochy. I've tried to fix it but I can't seem to get all of it to go away, specifically on the arm.

CC welcome! I think I'll come back to this in a week or so.

Harry Seymour
06-10-2014, 08:48 PM
There are some great parts to this that show much promise as you progress in your portraits. It is a terrific characterization. Well done.

ggart4u
06-11-2014, 06:45 AM
One of things that I was given advice about skin is to not follow the contours with your strokes. Establish a consistent pattern and vary your lights and darks in that pattern. I can't tell, but did you break up her eyebrows a bit. They look solid on my monitor. Love the subject!

Trilby
06-18-2014, 04:12 PM
Very nice characterization. Remember that a photo does not place the image at a viewing distance as would happen in person, so the scratches show more than they do in person.
TJ