PDA

View Full Version : Scratchy Corner - June 2014

Celticelf
06-04-2014, 01:23 PM
Hi everyone! Houston has just gone from Not Summer to Summer and our summer reading clubs have started. Nuff said. Have fun.

Foxyheart2002
06-04-2014, 03:47 PM
Hope you have a great time during the summer, Terri!

I am in California with my sister who has undergone some surgery. Getting my ISSA entry ready to ship. Finishing up the horse that looks wonky in color in my thread. Starting my WW2 commission. LOTS of things to keep me busy for the next few weeks.

Hope everyone's days are filled with happiness and productivity!

Crias
06-04-2014, 07:23 PM
This spring has been FULL of setbacks, trials and tribulations in my life... And every time I think "I Hope that was the last thing" I seem to get hit with something else. The newest development is that my landlords have sold their house, and now need to move into my place while they build a new house. So I have to move out by the end of the month... Not the total end of the world, but I really like it where I am... And like most people I HATE moving. And just one more time consumer that I don't have time for... But obviously now have to make time for.

Unfortunately due to all of my setbacks this year I have made the difficult decision that I am not able to attend this years ISSA gathering :( I am very regretful as I know it is going to be a spectacular show and opening and I will greatly miss seeing all my old friends and making many new ones. It is the first scratchboard gathering that I have missed since the very first one!

goatmilksoapgoddess
06-04-2014, 09:09 PM
Cathy,
I am so sorry you aren't going to be at the ISSA gathering, I was really looking forward to meeting you. Since this is a new month, maybe your luck will change.
Let's hope you will find a new place to live that is lots and lots better than the one you have now. :)

PaintDog
06-04-2014, 09:16 PM
Bummer, so sorry you won't be in Cary, Cathy. A difficult decision, but probably a wise one. Burritos won't be the same there without you! I hope once you get through the challenge of finding a new place, things will be on the upswing!!

ggart4u
06-04-2014, 09:50 PM
Cathy, I'll miss you but I hope you soon find a place that will be good for you and your creative needs. All the best for a positive up-turn.

PatrickHedges
06-05-2014, 08:23 PM
Cathy, my heart bleeds for you! That sucks!

My news is I'm popping in quickly to let you know I'm heading to Vietnam today for a two week holiday/photo trip. Will share later!!

XQB
06-06-2014, 05:22 PM
Have fun, Patrick, and share TONS of photos! I know you'll produce acres of amazing scratches from those pics!
For me, I may as well pile on the bummers...as I told Ginger this very morning, I won't be able to attend either. With Jacquelynn unable to find work, the funding just isn't there. Things ARE turning around for us, just not quite quickly enough for Cary. I'll miss you all, for certain.:crying: :(

JonathanW
06-06-2014, 05:59 PM
Well, just Dang! So sorry for all the tribulations, Cathy. I was really looking forward to meeting you in Cary, but I agree with Ann ~ under the circumstances probably a wise (if unavoidable) choice. Maybe next year. And Matthew! Double bummer! I was looking forward to meeting you as well, but understand your circumstances. Maybe next year for you, too. Be well and strong everyone. We'll be thinking of you.

PaintDog
06-06-2014, 10:11 PM
So sorry you won't be there either, Matthew :(.

On a different note, yet still related to Cathy . . . I taught a scratchboard workshop today and I always have my students bring their own reference photos. One of them brought what she thought was a photo, but I recognized it right off as one of Cathy's wolf drawings! It's the wolf looking at a butterfly. It cracked me up. Of course, that was a perfect segue to discuss sourcing photos and copyright infringement. She promised she would never let her version go public.

Celticelf
06-10-2014, 12:13 PM
My bummer contribution. Got home from work Saturday and went back out to the car (spoiler alert: Never, Ever Go Back Out After Getting Home!) stepped off porch, knee went, threw me into built-in brick planter. On concrete with arm wrapped in neighbor's towel, (exposed muscle not pretty sight) waiting on paramedics (3 minutes!) and my honest thoughts: 1. how the he!! are they going to get me up, and 2. at least it's my left arm and won't interfere with art. 7 hours in emergency room and I didn't even get to feel too sorry for myself because Saturday night in Houston meant people being rolled in with gunshots. Happy June all.

Crias
06-10-2014, 12:45 PM
Ouch Terri! I hope you recover speedily!

Diane Cutter
06-10-2014, 12:46 PM
Oh, Terri... what a bummer... and you have kept your sense of humor through it all. Here's wishing you heal quickly.

Cathy... I hope you land on your feet soon. I thought the place you were in sounded totally idyllic, perfect for an artist like you. Hopefully the new place is even better.

May and June have been slow art months for me. Between still moving in and the family gathering for my Dad's memorial services, I've only found a few minutes here and there. I did want to share that the Navy personnel at the Santa Fe National Cemetery did an excellent job. The hardest part of listening to taps at the end. I think the whole family "lost it" then. Dad was one of the last of the "Greatest Generation", a patriot to the end.

Diane

PaintDog
06-10-2014, 02:02 PM
Oh goodness, Diane, just thinking about hearing taps at a military funeral makes me misty! I'm glad the Navy personnel honored your father appropriately. I'm sure it was a powerful experience.

Terri, I'm so sorry! Get better soon!

Celticelf
06-10-2014, 02:46 PM
Same here Diane. My family has a small graveyard on my sister's farm, and the Army bugler stood at the top of the hill under a lone pine tree. I will never forget it. Beautiful and heartbreaking.

Diane Cutter
06-10-2014, 03:39 PM
Thanks, Ann and Terri... Although he died the beginning of April, I still find myself teary eyed and quavery voiced at the oddest moments. Maybe it has a lot to do with the fact we all enjoyed his company for a long time... kind of like he would always be here.

ggart4u
06-10-2014, 04:43 PM
Diane, my sincere condolences. I always feel I have my loved ones as long as I keep them in my heart. It's not the same, but it's something.

Foxyheart2002
06-10-2014, 06:15 PM
Diane, so so sorry. I lost both my parents when I was in my 30's. Feelings for them will pop up at the most unexpected times. (((hugs)))

Terri, WTH? Get yourself well, gal!

Cathy and Matthew, I am sorry you cannot go to Cary this year. It seems a lot of us really want to but circumstance won't allow it. :(

PatrickHedges
06-17-2014, 05:10 AM
Terri, you have an awesome sense of humour. Get well mate!

Just a very quick visit to say, in this bizarrely awesome developing country of Vietnam, we are in a home stay deep in the heart of the Mekong Delta, only accessible by boat, totally isolated, and yet we have the strongest wi-fi we've had so far. How weird is that!!

Celticelf
06-17-2014, 01:24 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2014/95885-Neal_Immega.jpg Thanks for all the good wishes everyone. I always thought it would be scary to be injured living alone - hence the life alert. However, in the five minutes it took paramedics and ambulance to get there I had neighbors from 4 houses who have adopted me (Old Widow Woman of Scribner Road) were there making sure I was well taken care of. Awesome. Stitches out today, hope pain will be gone soon. Meanwhile, great library programs: here I am with my go-to program guy, Dr. Neal Immega, geochemist and paleontologist with a replica whooly mammouth bone (the rest of his bones were real.)

ggart4u
06-17-2014, 03:39 PM
Wonderful that you are healing. Hard way to meet your neighbors. Glad you are safe. Love the bone!

Diana Lee
06-18-2014, 11:36 AM
Quite a bit of news on the downside this time in this thread.
I am so sorry Diane!
Terri, stop that! Falling down is not good! You poor honey, take care of yourself!
Cathy, all I can say is "Moving STINKS"!
Patrick, I sure hope you guys are having the time of your life! Give your beautiful wife a hug for me. She chose your vacation well.

Diana

Trilby
06-18-2014, 03:07 PM
Hi guys, I'm back again after my most brief prior appearance. Simply too much on the plate, need a bigger plate or fewer items on it. Was in court getting rid of a crazy and non paying tenant Finally. Then ill, then meeting art deadlines, painting furiously. Gave a demo on Scratch board art then gave a great week end workshop. The students stayed two hours past Saturday's end time, came in an hour early on Sunday they were so enthusiastic . A great bunch. New addicts. Just finished a 20x16 piece in two days that I thought would take several weeks.
Diane, I'm sorry for your loss, Parents are hard to give up.
Terri, exposed muscle is not good, take care. I'm still recovering from a fall on my sidewalk---cracked my cheek bone. Upright is much better.
cathy, I'm sorry to learn you are having obstacles to life's flow. That interferes with the art. Keep faith you will find an even better home.
Patrick, isn't it great that "going to Vietnam" now has a happy meaning. It is a beautiful country. Enjoy.

Celticelf
06-23-2014, 02:34 PM
Well, still irritatingly out of commission. Stitches came out, arm reopened, another evening visiting the ER. Getting to know too many friends there! Again, could be worse, but annoying.

Obedec
06-26-2014, 11:04 PM
I've had a lot of friends losing dear ones this last week, but, there's been new births too. Not enough to even out but it does lighten the depression a bit. I've got tickets for Faerieworld at the end of next month...I hope to get lots of great pictures. I'm lovin' this retirement thing. I've been doing a lot of sorting and cleaning, going to be moving next door while they re-do my side of the place. I found this piece stashed. It's on copper and it's when copper scratchboard was cheap. I just priced it on Jerry's and it ain't cheap no more. You could say it's my TBT.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2014/48983-Corgie-on-Copper.jpg

PatrickHedges
06-27-2014, 09:47 AM
Hi Karen, that's a very cool piece. I have no idea what copper is like to work on but its a great result in your hands.

Trilby, yes what an amazing country. I loved it!!

Celticelf
06-30-2014, 01:44 PM
Okay - at midnight June is officially over. While I am practicing mindfulness to the best of my ability, and not waiting for the future, I have been too much in the moment the last two weeks. Final saga before starting fresh for July. Ego got in the way: got angry during an exercise class, left early having major diabetic blood sugar drop, assured friend I could handle it. Driving away I realized I was in no condition to drive, pulled into a parking lot, realized it was the wrong lot, cut too quickly and wrecked my car. To quote my mentor, angry but gentle, "Well, we will just consider that a very expensive learning experience." Don't you hate it when they're right?
Somebody, please start July upbeat, new puppies or something.

DocBoots
06-30-2014, 03:55 PM
Terri and Cathy - thinking of you both!

~ Boots