PDA

View Full Version : shipping pastel paintings from Germany to US

LValent
06-02-2014, 05:22 AM
Hi everyone!

I need to ship a pastel painting (unframed) valued at a bit more than 500 from Germany to US. DHL only insure up to 500. I could send it by Express but that would cost 150. Is there anyone who has experience of sending paintings from Europe to USA who could let me know how they do this? Thank you very much.

Colorix
06-02-2014, 11:29 AM
I only send paintings (no frame, no glass), and I considered the risk for damage, and decided that it is easier and cheaper to repair the painting, or even paint it again if there is a total wreckage. So I send them as letters, not parcels.

So far, all of the mailed paintings have arrived whole and safe.

But that's me, and I hope someone who does insure the painting replies, so you get more ideas.

JustinM
06-03-2014, 12:10 AM
Double check, very carefully, that ANY carrier will insure your painting & actually pay for it if lost/damaged.

99% of the time they will not. They will gladly take your money but even if you are a well-established artist selling paintings routinely at a set price, the best you will usually get in an insurance claim is the cost of materials. I had a discussion about this recently with the great Jeremy Lipking and he confirmed this having tried to make claim on his work, which has a very 'tangible' average value.

The stupid thing is that you can easily be compensated for the loss of a print! but not an original. lol.

By the way, the only company I know of that definitively insures artwork (here in canada at least) will only do so if you purchase one of their specific boxes and you may not reuse it - its a one-time deal.

LValent
06-03-2014, 05:55 AM
Thank you Charlie and Justin for your replies. It looks as if I just send it and keep my fingers crossed.