PDA

View Full Version : June 2014 Oil Pastel Monthly Challenge

raizes
06-01-2014, 01:11 AM
Hello everyone !! My name is Rich and Iíll be your host for Juneís Challenge. All the pictures are of my own, taken on my iPhone. Feel free to change it up, add your own interpretation and most of all use your imagination!! Some pics are of recent travel to San Luis Obispo California, Wine Country (Sonoma county, Cali.) my dog Sofia, and my (time intensive, but worth it) garden. If Iím not painting in the studio, Iím painting my yard :)

These pics are for starters. Iíll add some more from my backup drive.

Let us know your progress. We love seeing WIP, so donít be shy. Also please share what type support youíre working on and what brand Oil Pastels used, and any cool techniques you can share. I learn so much on here from you guys!! As many details you can provide, the better.

You are welcome to use another medium as a base or complement, but the majority of the work must be done in Oil pastels, sticks, etc.

I canít wait to see what you all can create. Have fun
I hope I can get some free time soon to join in...

raizes
06-01-2014, 01:13 AM
:clap:

aolaranora
06-01-2014, 08:42 AM
Thank You for starting this month hosting, Rich!
Nice choices, I especially love the garden. :)

raizes
06-01-2014, 12:08 PM
Thanks Tatiana. Glad I can help out. Here are more pics from recent travels to Paris, Costa Rica, California Coast....

tuscanny
06-01-2014, 01:07 PM
Great variety to choose from! Thanks for hosting, Rich!

Vivien Maloney
06-01-2014, 03:29 PM
Lovelyl photos Rich, nice variety to choose from! Thanks for hosting.
I checked out your link to your paintings -wonderful, colorful work! What breed of dog is Sofia! A Bull Terrier?

Pat Isaac
06-01-2014, 05:17 PM
Thanks for hosting, Rich. What a wonderful collection of photos.

Pat

raizes
06-01-2014, 06:41 PM
Thanks everyone! Sofia is a mix of Pitbull, chocolate lab, rhodesian ridgeback, and lots of cuddling. We rescued her from the county animal shelter. Her previous owners were jerks, basically. Lots of abuse, aggression training, and abandonment. We've had her for two years and she is the sweetest most affectionate dog I've ever had. and loves to play.

Vivien Maloney
06-02-2014, 04:01 PM
Rich- Poor Sofia, yes I can see the Pit Bull in her. Im so glad that she now has the love and care she deserves! We hear many sad situations on A & W like Sofia's. Some of them heartbreaking. It's so rewarding to hear, after what some of them have been through, of a happy outcome. Well done Rich.

AnnKB
06-03-2014, 07:35 AM
Great pictures, I don't do many pets but couldn't resist that face! here's my slightly scruffy sketch of Sofia on yellow Velour . never tried OPs on Velour paper before, I kept smudging it .Serves me right for doing it on my lap instead of easel which is packed away for a workshop tomorrow. Will definitely try on velour again.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2014/973128-wetcanvas_dog_OP_Velour.JPG
Ann

Pat Isaac
06-03-2014, 09:24 AM
Wonderful sketch of Sophie Ann. You nailed the expression and I really like all the color in her fur.

Pat

raizes
06-03-2014, 09:26 AM
Thanks Vivian. If i could afford to adopt more, I definitely would.

Ann, this looks awesome! I think it's a tough body position to re-create but you did it perfectly. Very nice! You even pulled off her brindle coloring. Nice job.

AnnKB
06-03-2014, 10:17 AM
Thanks all. the photo is not the same as the actual image. there is more brown in the 'fur' and the photo seems to show more of the background 'paper' colour than it does in the flesh. It's altogether much darker.
anyone have any tips on photographing oil pastel pictures (NB forgot to say I was using Neopastels).
Ann

Vivien Maloney
06-03-2014, 03:07 PM
Ann - wonderful OP of Sofia! She looks so realistic, well done! My goodness you can certainly make those Oil Pastels work for you! :clap:
Ive just bought myself a set of Neopastels - they're great arent they, I love them. So easy to blend with them compared to my harder, cheaper OPs.

artefice71
06-03-2014, 05:04 PM
Thanks Rich for hosting this month! Really nice and varied pictures. Can't wait to start painting!

tuscanny
06-04-2014, 02:46 AM
Ann, great painting! Photographing ops is tricky because of the translucency of the ops. Painting indoors and photographing outdoors makes a huge difference some times. I usually compare my photo with the reference on screen and make adjustments from that before I post. Sometimes it is well worth the effort.

AnnKB
06-05-2014, 03:50 AM
Thanks for the info. Neopastels are my favourites, senneliers are good too. They are the only artist quality brands we get in the UK. It was interesting to view the image from a sharp angle, really vivid. I forget how translucent OPs, I did a picture over a pen drawing and you could still see the pen marks which I liked
Ann

Flycatcher10
06-05-2014, 08:22 AM
Great pictures to choose from Rich - thank you for hosting this month.

Ann, love your painting of Sofia especially her beautiful face and those soft eyes. Nice work on her fur, the colors are perfect for the darks. Neopastels are wonderful oil pastels.

tuscanny
06-06-2014, 01:18 PM
About 7x7 on green card. I first had darker values in the background but I scraped them off and added the lighter colours.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2014/1256189-sunbird.jpg

Pat Isaac
06-06-2014, 02:06 PM
I love these little birds, and your hummingbirds are a different color than ours. Great work on the feathers.

Pat

raizes
06-06-2014, 02:26 PM
Beautifully done Christel. Feathers look great. I like the lighter background

I took the picture at the Butterfly garden in Monteverde Costa Rica. Awesome place! 100's of hummingbirds flying all around you, and no entrance fee! They are fast and zip around you, going from feeder to feeder. And they are very hard to photo!! This was my only photo of them that was in focus.

tuscanny
06-07-2014, 01:45 AM
Thanks Pat and Rich. I've never seen these colours before on a hummingbird either. Beautiful little birds!

Flycatcher10
06-07-2014, 01:03 PM
Beautiful Christel - nice soft work on the feathers, looks good. Also like your background choice.

tuscanny
06-08-2014, 03:15 AM
Thanks Mary!

Vivien Maloney
06-09-2014, 03:03 PM
Beautiful bird Christel. Great feathers!

Flycatcher10
06-10-2014, 04:50 PM
Here is my attempt at painting the hummingbird.

I used a 7x5 cheap artist canvas board, which makes painting very slippery and the paint bleeds. I didn't clear gesso the board, since this was more for a practice study.

I liked the branch that Christel incorporated, so I used it in my painting. I think I need more definition in the feathers, but that will have to be for another day.

C&C are welcome. Thanks Mary

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2014/974094-DSCN5988_infraview.jpg

Pat Isaac
06-10-2014, 05:02 PM
Nice, Mary....I would run the branch off the paper and give a glint to the eye.

Pat

Flycatcher10
06-10-2014, 05:29 PM
Good suggestions, thanks Pat!

raizes
06-10-2014, 08:18 PM
Nice job Mary. I agree with adding a glint to the eye. I like seeing the texture of the canvas. Do you like OP's on canvas? i've done it a couple times and sure does eat up a lot of OP.

tuscanny
06-11-2014, 01:53 AM
Thanks Viv!
Mary, lovely little bird. I like the colors on the wings!! Your background show the canvas texture beautifully!

Flycatcher10
06-11-2014, 08:12 AM
Thanks Rich and Christel. I agree and went back in to add some glint in the eye.

Here is the thing about the canvas board, Christel you are right it shows the texture beautifully which is what I love about this stuff. But, and here are several reasons why I won't purchase the material again:

- if you don't put a clear gesso coating on it, the surface is slippery as all heck and makes it difficult to add OPs or get nice detail. I didn't put the clear gesso on it to show the texture, but the result was not as vivid of detail as I would have liked.

- these artist canvas boards shrink and warp in our hot, very dry Texas climate. Shock to me, every board I've used to paint on has warped and of course the paintings are worthless to frame or do anything else with. Shame some were my favorites too. The backing of the boards is what has shrunk and warped, not the canvas. :eek:

So my little hummingbird, well it was a good exercise. :o

tuscanny
06-11-2014, 12:43 PM
That's bad news about the canvas boards!

Flycatcher10
06-11-2014, 03:17 PM
Yes, Christel.

BUT here is the fascinating thing, I went back to my 8x10 boards and they didn't show any effects of warping. I'm rethinking what I wrote about shrinking/warping.

So, perhaps I just got a bad batch of 5x7 boards - they come in three and I've used up the batch. I'm going to go back to the store and check out the others, this particular bunch I bought through Dick Blick.

robertsloan2
06-22-2014, 06:02 AM
These photos are incredible, Rich. The landscapes are gorgeous and you've got an eye for color, violet is always a friend to green!!

Great paintings from them too!

robertsloan2
06-22-2014, 06:13 AM
Mary, the feathers don't need more detail. They're lovely as painted. I love the way you captured those shimmering greens, more detail would distract from it rather than enhance it. You might expand the back of the head and thicken the neck a bit but be careful, that face is so beautiful it has to be kept looking natural. Love that background in its lightness. The bird really jumps out at me and that green shimmer makes me smile. Your feather texture is spot on perfect.

Christel, I like your hummingbird too. Lovely crisp hard edges on the beak and claws, nice background, gorgeous eye and facial details, you got that great color too.

Ann, your puppy was spot on accurate and enchanting. Love how you got that expression so perfect.

Flycatcher10
06-23-2014, 09:03 AM
Thanks Robert, I appreciate and value your input.

tuscanny
06-23-2014, 11:57 AM
Thanks Robert!

AnnKB
06-27-2014, 06:55 AM
Thank you for your comments Robert . I'd love to know what the dog was thinking, she looks a bit fed up! Am glad she has a good home now.
Ann

aless
06-29-2014, 08:19 AM
Sennelier oil pastels and various oil pastels on pastel paper.

Love all the interpretations of the photos here is my attempt of the hummingbird.Had problems with background as pastel paper was from a pastel sketchpad thinner sheets than I realized.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2014/29508-hummigbirdcropcopy.jpg

C/C welcome

Pat Isaac
06-29-2014, 10:23 AM
Lovely color on this hummingbird...

Pat

raizes
06-29-2014, 11:46 AM
beautiful hummingbird aless. I like the softness of it and wonderful color application.

tuscanny
06-30-2014, 08:01 AM
Wow,Aless. Love the colors!

Flycatcher10
06-30-2014, 12:18 PM
So beautiful Aless - very delicate in how you handled the feathers and colors. Wonderful painting!

aless
07-01-2014, 12:31 PM
Thank you Pat,Raizes,Christel and Mary for your nice comments I'm glad you all like the colours in the hummingbird and the way the hummingbird turned out.