PDA

View Full Version : Framing behind glass, is krylon needed?

terekita
05-30-2014, 05:54 PM
Hello,

I'm going to be framing some pieces behind glass, and the surfaces are all fairly pristine (devoid of fingerprints, etc.).

I have never enjoyed the spraying with Krylon business (getting an even coat drives me crazy).

Given that these pieces will be protected by the glass, if I am happy with the way the surface looks as is, is there any significant need to seal the surface with fixative? Put another way, what potential negative consequences might there be from *not* spraying?

Thanks so much, T

scratchmaster
05-30-2014, 07:13 PM
I wouldn't consider spray fixative a necessary step. It can help even out the surface and protect from fingerprints. But, if you are already satisfied with how it looks, I don't see a reason for spraying. It will be sitting behind glass, so it will already be protected.

Crias
05-30-2014, 09:57 PM
No real reason to varnish if everything looks good. The only real reason I can see is if someone buys it and somewhere down the road reframed it and it could get scratched. Also if it rubs on the frame at all it may scratch there.

terekita
05-31-2014, 03:37 AM
thanks very much for the responses. I also forgot to mention that they will be shipped first, before being framed. In the past I shipped smaller pieces (16x12) in plastic sleeves (with no fixative), and they were fine at the destination. However, these are 36x24, so I'm more nervous about the shipping. Perhaps another argument in favor of spraying? Thanks again!

scratchmaster
05-31-2014, 10:20 AM
I could be wrong, but if they are going to be shipped in the frames with the glass, I don't think spraying is going to protect that much from shards of broken glass. And, if something did happen, it would be easier to make the fixes with ink on the original surface than it would to try repairing with a thin layer of plastic in the way.

Diana Lee
05-31-2014, 02:03 PM
Sorry to invade this thread, but RUSS! HELLO!
Good to see you here again. Are you in or going to the ISSA show in Cary?

Diana

scratchmaster
05-31-2014, 08:01 PM
Hi Diana! The show will be in a building that is maybe 10 minutes from my house, so I didn't have any "good" excuses for not entering. I have two pieces entered. Will you be coming?

Diana Lee
05-31-2014, 08:23 PM
No, and I am really bummed about it. It just isn't in our budget. I do have a couple of pieces in the show though.
You are in for such a treat! You'll be meeting some of the nicest people ever there. These things are so much fun! I have been to three gatherings. One an ISSA show.

Diana

Diana

scratchmaster
05-31-2014, 08:53 PM
I thought for sure I would finally get to see you, but I guess it isn't meant to be. Though I have done a lot of commercial work, this is the first art show I have entered, so it will be a new, and hopefully fun, experience.