PDA

View Full Version : What difference does a Year Make.. ......

Dark_Shades
09-27-2003, 08:11 AM
..... more or less a year to the day that I orginally posted this....... I tried it again to see what difference there was in my work.....

I was sooooooooo delighted with this ha ha ...... as it was the first time I had gotten anywhere anything looking like skin

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2003/12116-Baby_Lee.jpg

..... this one isnt finished yet, and not sure it will be..... started it a couple of weeks ago, pick it up, and fiddle a bit more with it, and then put it back down, ...... .... need to lighten the hair some what...... and bits n bobs

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2003/12116-Lee.jpg

Luvy
09-27-2003, 08:36 AM
Big difference and you get all those colors in the skin. I don't see them so I can't add them. What am I missing? I don't think I"ve done a portrait since I first started I don't have any people to do. LOL I have photos of my kids but none I"m real thrilled with to do. I have to really like the pose to do something

You have improved so much Dawn. You can tell you enjoy these pastels *S* So many of your paintings have left me feeling like I'm missing something. We've been doing pastels about the same time I think. I'm about 11 months into pastels. I"ve been going to try my oil paints again but just can't give up my pastels.

tonii
09-27-2003, 09:17 AM
Wow, Dark_Shades.... your improvement is more than obvious. Hopefuuly I could achieve the same result as you ....

You have learnt colour relationship & the concept of colour to build up form.

And I just love his eyes...

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Tanya:)

Dark_Shades
09-27-2003, 10:05 AM
Thank you Luvy and Tonii........ yes I do love doing faces..... and I have a 'thing' about eyes :D ..... love doing them more so...... to be honest all credit is due to WC and participating artists..... sounds perhaps corny, but its true...... I would haunt the 'portrait forum' and pastel lol, looking, reading, viewing other portraits, hopefully take in what was being said....... look at the colours they would use......... I had for so long, only 'thought' skin colours... pinks, beige, orange, brown..... on those lines....... but I was limiting myself, and the look of how things turned out..... saw what others were doing, seemed more vibrant and alive.... and wanted to try....... so I took the plunge and thought, right which is the most unlikely colour I could use..... NOT for skin :D ..... and was so surprised it seems to work....... you have done some lovely portraits Luvy..... I remember them....... and I am sure you will do well too Tonii, half the battle is wanting to achieve..... its all here, ready and your finger tips.... and such a wonderful source of information, ready available advise and help not forgetting encouragement...... Yikes!!!...... think my colds gone to my head lolol..... mush or what :)
Actually luvy, the photo was awful, though I loved how he's face filled it all, there was no flash and was inside, so the colours were all drab and dark...... so I had no choice BUT to make them up :) ....... Ive never painted my other son.... (who keeps reminding me :) ) .... so Ive pulled out an old photo of him, this is in reverse as too much light, so hardly any colours.... so will be interesting how this works out....... try, if you 'dont see', Imagine it ..... see where it takes you

Thanks again....... do appreciate your time to comment

jgarroyo
09-27-2003, 10:29 AM
wow, that's incredible. congratulations on such a big improvement and on finding a style. your use of color is beautiful, almost accidental in a way, but works perfect together. :clap:

Dyin
09-27-2003, 11:20 AM
wow....such a diff! We TOLD you you were getting good with those colors!!! I've seen the biggest jump just in the last month or so...you've been building confidence and it shows.
Luvy....if you see the colors in this, then you just have to look and see how she used them...blues and greens and violets for shadows...reds and yellows for lit areas...play and try it, just for fun!!!

Stoy Jones
09-27-2003, 11:30 AM
In just a year? No telling how your work will look in another at this rate! Congrats to you :D

Stoy

blissfullyunaware
09-27-2003, 11:47 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dark_Shades
try, if you 'dont see', Imagine it ..... see where it takes you

Wow, DS, you sure have gotten the color mystery solved! :clap: :clap: I'm having problems with the "imagining" part I think! Your use of color is wonderful, I just love how the face lights up and your use of background color to set it off, very very nice! Thanks for sharing this with us, gives me hope... :D!

sharon

E-J
09-27-2003, 01:16 PM
Dawn, the improvement is astounding. Look how free and loose and confident you are with your colours now! You have developed a very recognisable style, especially with your portraits.

This might make an interesting project! Taking one of our earliest pastel works and tackling the subject again.

Mo.
09-27-2003, 01:52 PM
Oustanding difference Dawn :clap::clap:.....You've certainly cracked those skin tones, they are luscious! .....dare I say how about greens? :D

E-J..... go on then start the project. :)

Mo.:)

Nori
09-27-2003, 02:12 PM
Fabulous. The shadow colors are magnifcent. Shadows and light really bring it life. Your skin tones have so much depth. Love the lip colors too. They are the hardest for me, partially because there is such a small area to work in, but also because my head still tells my hand to make lips look like they have lipstick on them.

Artaholic
09-27-2003, 02:25 PM
Dawn, how wonderful to see the changes you have made in a year.:clap: :clap: :clap: what an improvement!!

Gerry

vrashton
09-27-2003, 02:32 PM
What a difference. It's not just the colours,but the composition and the drawing skills. You've obviously been working hard at this and it shows, a year is really not that long a time. Great work.:clap:
Val

Dark_Shades
09-27-2003, 04:23 PM
Wow, thanks guys..... see, this is what I mean, the support and encouragement is so great in here..... means alot

Originally posted by jgarroyo
your use of color is beautiful, almost accidental in a way, but works perfect together. :clap:

lol, thanks Jg...... everything I do, is accidental lol.... as I havent a clue what Im doing :D

Originally posted by Dyin
wow....such a diff! We TOLD you you were getting good with those colors!!! I've seen the biggest jump just in the last month or so...you've been building confidence and it shows.

Thanks Sue, means alot ;) ..... Thankyou Stoy..... Thankyou Bliss .... if you cant 'imagine' .... then just pretend you can :D ...... just pick up a 'wild' colour and go for it..... have fun

Originally posted by E-J
This might make an interesting project! Taking one of our earliest pastel works and tackling the subject again.

Thanks EJ......... now what a splendid Idea!!! ...... yes do it..... lol Ive already done mine :)

Originally posted by Mo.
Oustanding difference Dawn :clap::clap:.....You've certainly cracked those skin tones, they are luscious! .....dare I say how about greens? :D Mo.:)
Thanks Mo, there's always a thorn in the side isnt there lolol .... well all I can say, is that, I'll appease myself with the greens in the skin tones...... and come to accept I can not do greens in landscapes or bushes :P :)

Lol Nori about the lipstick :D, thanks for your comments and compliments.... you too Val........ got so much wasted time to make up for......

... Id better quit now while Im ahead ha ha

Mo.
09-27-2003, 06:35 PM
Thanks Mo, there's always a thorn in the side isnt there lolol .... well all I can say, is that, I'll appease myself with the greens in the skin tones...... and come to accept I can not do greens in landscapes or bushes :P

Except that your thorn is a blunt one.... the way you paint your portraits more than makes up for greens in landscapes.... it's funny really 'cos you paint gorgeous seascapes too, and I'm sure you use green in them.... it'll come Dawn, sooner than you think probably, because you are a determined to improve all the time, the above proves it.... keep at it girl !

Mo.:)

k9artist
09-27-2003, 07:52 PM
This is VERY fun to see the difference a year makes!! Hope I can get the same results with these pastels!! I am trying to sort them out now!
WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!
Dana

PegR
09-27-2003, 08:18 PM
Dawn, thanks so much for posting this, you're a real inspiration!

I've really enjoyed seeing all your work, and I had no idea that you'd only been working on portraits for a year! It gives me the guts to pick up my pastels again, and try again!

Peg

Dark_Shades
09-27-2003, 09:12 PM
lol Mo, thanks..... Im not so sure you should feel so confident in me about green landscapes...... but I will try :P

.. thanks K9, you do wonderful stuff :) and will have no trouble at all with this medium .......

thank you Peg, thats soooooo nice of you to say ...... LOL, Ive only been painting a year full stop!!! on ANY subject hee hee ... well since Aug 2002 (date of joining WC) ;) .... yeah pick them up again, and give them some welly !!!! will look forward to seeing what you do

...... so it just proves.... if I can do anything ...... anyone else can too

Dark_Shades
09-28-2003, 10:46 AM
I started this one, this morning, taken about 2-3 hours so far......

One thing I did forget to mention which has made a BIG difference to my work, is the use of textured papers...... the grip and take the pastel off so easily..... what I have been using of late is Art Spectrum

..... this is of my other son, I showed it to him......... he just grinned :D .... so I know he recognises himself...... (he's now 16 and at college...... not for art, but he is very good at it.... I was very pleasantly surprised)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Sep-2003/12116-Perry.jpg

Dyin
09-28-2003, 11:50 AM
nuther nice one Dawn...and he was a cutie!!!

Dark_Shades
09-28-2003, 12:32 PM
lol Sue, thanks...... he still thinks he is ;) ...... used to love putting my hand round he's tiny little neck..... something gorgeous about it ......... would still love to on some days :D :eek: :evil: ;)

Artaholic
09-28-2003, 01:20 PM
Dawn, what a cute baby. You have done beautifully a lot of people have trouble getting the proportions on a baby's face right but yours are perfect.

They just grow up to fast for Mom's:)

Gerry

E-J
09-28-2003, 02:21 PM
Dawn, there's those trademark big eyes again ... they give your portraits a real emotional appeal, I think ... I'm sure you could make shedloads painting children's portraits.

Dark_Shades
09-28-2003, 04:33 PM
Thank you Gerry :) ... yes they do dont they, this little one is now as tall as me ..... he's brother is now over 6' and broad too :eek: :D .... was such a tiddler when he was born ... lol

EJ!!! ...... now you went and made me go back and look at he's eyes lol ....... I swear..... scouts honour...... haven't enlarged them :) ....... Oh, I wish...... I wish - no takers, Im afraid :( :)

Dark_Shades
09-29-2003, 06:32 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2003/12116-My_Two_Sons.jpg

Dyin
09-29-2003, 10:32 AM
How very nice they both came out...bet you had tons of sweet memories running through your head while you did these...

BTDogMom
09-30-2003, 12:31 PM
WOW!! Dawn - u have exploded!!! These r wonderful!!! I'm amazed at the difference - very fun 2 c though!!:clap: :clap:

bnoonan
09-30-2003, 12:38 PM
Dawn I totally missed this post!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! What a wonderful idea to post the beginning and end of the year to see what you have learned in a set time period. I may have to do that myself on something.

You have taken great strides, but a lot of hard work/play into this and really mastered it quite well.

Thanks for reminding us that it does take some research, and a whole lot of practice and feedback to improve. For me... I find when I experiment and listen to what's being said, I learn a whole lot.

Again - my hat off to you! thanks for sharing.

Barb

PS: love the colors you chose for the skin - especially on the first piece. It's warm and rich.

Luvy
10-01-2003, 09:04 PM
Dawn if you don't mind I'm going to use your protrait and see if I can get anything close to those colors. If I do I'll show you LOL If I don't I won't LOL

Kathryn Wilson
10-01-2003, 09:10 PM
Dawn: Congratulations! Your year of hard work, research, experimenting and just plain blood and tears has paid off. I only hope I will see this improvement at the end of my year with WC!

You are an inspiration to us all - :clap: