PDA

View Full Version : make your own watercolors

grannyb
02-24-2000, 08:11 PM
OK folks I'm back to basics here ...I have a dozen cans of pure pigments ...from Umbers to cadmiums ....who has the recipes?
I know I need gum arabic ...how much?? ...and what else do I need .....help!
Are there any websites with recipes for watercolors?

------------------
Be True to Yourself !
from Sue in Oz.

Drew Davis
02-24-2000, 11:36 PM
From Mayer, an average starting place:

Gum arabic 2 oz
Boiling water 4 oz fl oz
Honey-water 1:1 or sugar syrup or glucose
1.25 fl oz
Glycerin 1.5 fl oz
Wetting agent 2-6 drops
(Oxgall is traditional; usually synthetic these days)
Preservative 1/4 teaspoon
(Dowicide A or 10% phenol)

Dissolve the gum in the water, then add the rest of the ingredients. You might have to fiddle with the proportions to suit your own preferences, and probably will have to fiddle a bit for individual pigments.

http://www.sinopia.com caters to people that like to make their own paints.

Mich451
02-25-2000, 03:06 PM
Remember to wear a simple face mask when using powdered pigment. Your lungs will thank you for it.

grannyb
03-31-2000, 08:27 PM
Well I can report that making watercolours is just the easiest thing!
I used Mayer's recipe and so far have done red oxide into Indian red and itself,cadmium red,orange from cad red and yellow oxide,as well as Y.Ox,mars puple ..even though it will fade given time ..it makes wonderful shadows!!and green oxide made into an Australian yellow green for acacia tree foliage...it was great fun and so easy ....I have made pans and they dried overnight without too much shrinkage...the colors are painting true and nicely thank you!! LOL
I still have mars black but rarely use black so didn't bother with making it ......wonder if I could make acrylic ? Hm
What do you call me ....a diversionist ????I make my own paper (acid free) and then my paints ...what next!!

oleCC
04-03-2000, 02:26 PM
Drew... This morning in class there was a lot of talk about some company in the states that is making a new watercolor with the honey. Everyone seems quite excited about it and those that have tried it say it is awesome.
Have you heard of this company? Seems their name is initials of some kind, and no one in class could remember. ?! Carol