PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a Scratchboard Workshop

KKing
05-27-2014, 12:45 PM
I've been volunteered to set up a scratchboard workshop at a fair this weekend and I have no idea what I should do. I have plenty of scratchboard paper, and scratch art color paper for kids. But I don't have many tools, and none to share.

I'm thinking I will set things up by tracing out a couple simple pictures on paper that people can take and scratch. But I really don't know what I should use for tools! I think I have some of those wooden sticks that come with packs of scratch paper, but they don't work well and I don't even know if I still have them.

Has anyone done a workshop before? The fair is going to be mostly college aged people.

lorna12
05-27-2014, 02:18 PM
It's too bad you don't have more notice...Ampersand would probably supplied you with some small sample boards. Anyway to let people know to bring a tool to scratch with? Xacto knives? If not, perhaps you have time to get some scalpels either from Amazon or a local medical supply outlet?

There is a thread somewhere around here with ideas for workshops, perhaps someone can point you in the right direction...probably in the tips/tricks thread stickied at the top of this forum.

Send me your email and I will send a sheet that might be helpful, from workshops I taught. My email is [email protected]

SandeVBL
05-27-2014, 02:52 PM
This made me curious so I started hunting - here are links to 2 of the discussions:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1206422&highlight=workshop
and
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1071912
Now I have to go through and read them too...just in case I ever get the chance to teach.

Crias
05-27-2014, 06:41 PM
You can probably pick up a bunch of generic brand x-actos for pretty cheap. Hobby lobby has them for like $3. That or just do a demo rather than a workshop... depending on the time allotted. I do quite a few 30-45 minute demos where I just talk about the medium, do a small demo on one of my own boards that I am working on, then answer questions.

theBoardLady
05-29-2014, 10:10 AM
Kendall, I did a workshop this past weekend and I had them do a feather as practice. Here's one participant practicing on his feather. I got several x-acto knives from Wal-Mart in the craft department. I made sure my knives were not taken so that I may use them for another time. The feather was 2" x 3". Ampersand was kind enough to supply me with some small boards for practice. Thank you, Dana. I, also, showed examples of my work so that they can see what can be done with scratchboard. Hopefully, I got some new converts. :crossfingers:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2014/123973-Scatch_Demo.jpg

KKing
05-30-2014, 02:06 PM
Thanks everyone :) unfortunately the plan fell through but I'm saving this thread for the next time the chance comes around!

Trilby
06-18-2014, 04:38 PM
When the chance comes around again, you can purchase breakaway blades at Walmart, or any DIY box store for under a dollar each. Also hat pins are good, Michaels, or Hobby Lobby or joAnne's Fabrics should have them. Definitely get the Ampersand sample pieces, the scratch paper just discourages folk. I recently gave a two hour presentation and I had folk do a Zentangle type of design rather than struggle in a short time with a full on image. It was a small enough group(24) that I could pass around my boxes of tools for folks to try as well. I wrapped a bit of blue masking tape around the handles so they would come back to me. Another thought, you can buy a box of 100 hyperdermic needles for around $8 to $10. Take a roll of masking tape to wrap the shafts with. Hope you get to do the workshop.
TJ