PDA

View Full Version : warning about framing black paper pics

jackiesimmonds
05-24-2014, 12:59 PM
Just a little word of warning. I framed some of my recent scenes painted on black paper...and when I got them back, the glass had "killed" a lot of the darkest tones. You can try it for yourself if you have some glass, or some cellophane.

Take a pic you have painted on a black paper. Notice how it sparkles! Now put the glass down onto it...or the cellophane. Notice now how it FAILS to sparkle in the same way.

You need to make sure that your dark areas are not too dark.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2014/1805-where_shall_I_put_this_one,_finish.jpg

keepingpure
05-24-2014, 03:26 PM
Oh wow! I JUST ordered a few different kinds of black paper! Thank you for the tip, this is SO timely!

(I LOVE this picture, by the way!)

Sarah Rose
05-25-2014, 01:02 AM
Thank you Jackie! I never take into consideration how glass will effect the painting, but since it is a must for this medium I really should think about it. Your suggestion for laying a piece of glass over the unframed painting will come in handy.

jackiesimmonds
05-25-2014, 01:48 AM
my pleasure - forewarned is forearmed.

bobbymac
05-25-2014, 06:33 AM
Jackie, thank you for posting this information. What type of glass did you use, regular, AR or museum? My experience has been that although very expensive, the museum glass affects the painting the least. Bob

jackiesimmonds
05-25-2014, 07:43 AM
I used regular. I know that museum glass would be better........but it is horrendously expensive. I cannot justify it.

toniov
05-25-2014, 11:11 AM
Wonderful ! I love the presence of blue and green.

Sarah Rose
05-25-2014, 12:45 PM
I just got an order of conservation clear glass since it is less than half the price of museum glass. That stuff is very pricey! If money were no issue I'd have gotten it, but....ouch!

jackiesimmonds
05-25-2014, 05:41 PM
I know what you mean. These days, I use regular glass but always tell the client that it can be changed to museum glass if they are prepared to pay the extra cost.

bobbymac
05-26-2014, 05:33 AM
I agree Jackie and do the same with my clients as well. I have used museum on a couple of smaller paintings that I have kept for myself. Especially if they are hung in a sunny location.

*Deirdre*
05-27-2014, 05:02 PM
Good tip Jackie...but it needs to be in the Talk section so I'll move it there.:)

Colorix
05-27-2014, 06:19 PM
There is a cheaper alternative than museum glass, where I live it is called "anti-reflective", and it reduces glare with 70-98%, depending on brand -- and the glass is water clear! (No greenish tint, no darkening by 1 to 2 values on a scale of 10.) The cost is about twice the price of ordinary float glass. Affordable, and much nicer! (OK, museum is "da bomb", but getting close to it is rather nice too.)

robertsloan2
05-27-2014, 07:47 PM
Really interesting thread and thank you for the tip! I love working on black but that happens with framing. I'm glad Charlie's posted an alternative to the museum glass that doesn't make it suffer as much.

Colorix
05-28-2014, 06:44 AM
The water clear glass I'm talking about is coated with something, just like the museum glass (or eyeglasses) but it is not as high quality. Avoid the etched type of glass with one smooth side and one "pebbly" side, that really makes darks milky.

If I find it, I'll post a picture showing the difference.

Edit: Better yet, I found the article I wrote in The Pastel Scribbler newsletter of the Pastel Guild of Europe. Where I compare the glass (but not museum) and show in pictures the difference the two types of coating make and how clear water clear glass really is:
http://pastelguild.org/Scribbler/pastel_scribbler_Oct2013.pdf
Page 10

maxibleu
05-29-2014, 11:38 AM
[quote=Colorix]There is a cheaper alternative than museum glass, where I live it is called "anti-reflective", and it reduces glare with 70-98%, depending on brand -- and the glass is water clear!

As a general comment, I find that any type of anti-glare covering, be it glass or acrylic, really "dumbs down" your artwork. Tiny details disappear and the colors just fade out.