PDA

View Full Version : Where does confidence come from to say "I'm good enough"?

Abstractasia
09-26-2003, 10:30 PM
My advance apologies if this post is inappropriate here. I have yet to familiarize myself with the map of the forums.

Here's what is on my mind.

I have been creating since I was old enough to hold a crayon. I got my first blue ribbon in kindergarten, and it seemed to go that way through the school years. I don't think it was due to any artistic genius, just a different imagination and style.

Well, as an adult, I tried my hand at painting and other mediums. I tried to do it "right" and make the subjects look "real". Needless to say I was struggling and getting frustrated. It never was good enough.

Recently, out of the blue, I became possessed to paint without a plan. Emotion on canvas. Just starting with a dab of paint and seeing where it went. I'm so happy painting now! I have done a few that I am completely thrilled with.

The thing is, no one in my environment appreciates visual art. When I pour my emotions into a piece, they remark that 'a child could have done that', and it gets to me.

A child probably could have done these, but I did. Yes, this new style of abstract/impressionism is new and out of character for me, but I'm so happy with it.

Please tell me.. when do you know you're good enough? What makes you hold your painting up and scream "I'm an artist" in the face of all who talk you down?

Where do you find the confidence to put your work next to others or put an honorable value on it and offer it for sale?

Thank you for any opinions and advice you might have to offer :)

Stoy Jones
09-26-2003, 11:54 PM
Don't be fooled into thinking "nobody" likes your work. You may want to try me :) I walked into a frameshop one time and saw a large painting that looked to have been done by a child, but to find out it was the work of an adult. The thing is, it caught my attention right away just as I walk into the door.

My work demands precision, however I'm growing in my interest in contemporary styles with bold color that shows a lot of emotion, eventhough I could not duplicate that myself. I just like to hang it in the livingroom for my enjoyment.

I think you need to find people who work in similar styles and mediums and find support through them. Check around at WC. I don't know and perhaps others in this forum may have a better reference for you, but check out the list of forums and subscribe to a few that may be close to what you do.

You don't have to agree with me here, but personally, when it comes to confidence I'm a self-doubter who just ploughs through and works hard. The more I learn and get feedback from my posted work, the more confidence I build. The take the plunge approach is scary, but it works for me.

Stoy

DanaT
09-27-2003, 10:03 AM
Welcome to the Creativity forum.

Sounds like you just haven't found the right audience. But sometimes we need to keep our work to ourselves for awhile to give our style time to evolve. There's a time for showing and a time for not showing.

Stoy made a good suggestion to find others with interests and styles similar to yours. Then you can inspire each other.

Keith Russell
09-27-2003, 04:29 PM
For me, it isn't about being 'good enough'. (I neither expect, nor hope, to ever believe that I'm 'good enough'.)

For me, it's about continual technical improvement and conceptual development.

For the viewer, an individual work may be 'good enough'.

For the artist, at least as I see it, it is all about the continual, ongoing process...

K