PDA

View Full Version : Singing Rose - WIP

bhavani.krishnan
05-05-2014, 04:05 PM
Recently I realized the most important thing about color. To make one color sing, all others have to whisper. What this means is a colors looks bright when surrounded by greys and muted tones. This painting was my attempt to try out this theory. When I looked at the painting this morning, I feel like my background purple could be muted further and some more lighter greens in the background. So calling it a WIP and will work on it tonight. WSO on ampersand gessoboard 6x6 in
C&C welcome
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2014/980567-photo_1.JPG

ColinS
05-06-2014, 03:32 AM
Interesting theory Bhavani - has a nice poetic ring to it anyway. :) But I do think you have a point, and this painting certainly has a strong chorus of pink and red and a lot of great whispering greens in the back. That is certainly a very classical approach to painting, but one that Monet, Van Gogh and most of the other Impressionists abandoned in favour of vivid wall to wall colour. I will watch to see how you get on with this idea. :D

I must say that your pink rose is a knockout. :thumbsup:

Charlie's Mum
05-06-2014, 09:33 AM
Very lyrical B - and a symphony in waiting here! ...... with a nice little counterpoint from the bud:D

Mind you, it's already looking quite ravishing - fair bit of dram here!:)

Babli21
05-06-2014, 09:58 AM
I've never understood what people really meant when they said, "Make those colors sing!" or "Those colors really sing," so I was interested to read your interpretation of it. Whatever the expression means, you sure have made a beautiful painting; one you can really be proud of! :thumbsup:

bhavani.krishnan
05-06-2014, 03:06 PM
Thanks Colin, Mum, Sandy. What the expression "color sings" means to me is that color really glows and grabs your attention. I was painting something and used Cad Red from the tube but still it did not look bright enough. So I started studying the works of lot of accomplished artists to understand why a color looks the way it does and what I saw was they strategically placed their highest chroma colors next to neutrals or greys. For eg: if you look at the works of Daniel J Keys or Quang Ho. Qiang Huang does lot of still - life paintings - his backgrounds are always grey or neutrals. This applies to landscape paintings also. Becky Joy says in her blog that the key to getting luminescence in a painting is greys. This kind of art really appeals to me. Thus my theory. Anway here is my completed painting. C&C welcome.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2014/980567-photo_2.JPG

RamyaSarvesh
05-06-2014, 03:12 PM
Just lovely Bhavani...too good.....wonderful shades ...love it

Lea51
05-07-2014, 09:48 AM
It's beautiful, and I think you've accomplished what you were aiming for--the colors do sing! I too have experienced what you're talking about, where I'm using the brightest color I have, straight from the tube, and it's not bright enough to say what I'm trying to say. I had a teacher who explained what you're saying here (validating your theory!), but I have a bad tendency to use all the bright colors, because I like them.

However, it really does work better when you provide contrast as you have here--clear color against broken color makes the clear colors sing, light color against dark color makes the light color sing, and so on. It also helps to place a color next to its complement, but not at the same value and saturation. So using the dark, dull greens behind the light, clear pinks helps the pinks to really shine.

Beautiful work!

ColinS
05-09-2014, 03:30 AM
I like the updated version a lot, Bhavani, and Lea's observations about colour are very interesting and helpful.

Charlie's Mum
05-09-2014, 08:51 AM
Update is lovely - such an inadequate word!

The thread is useful too because of the discussion/theories it generated - thank you ladies :D

bhavani.krishnan
05-09-2014, 06:43 PM
Thanks Lea for your observations. Some of them were intentional and some were accidental (or instinctive). Adding the complement at a much less saturation level is something I am learning to do. I think it is more effective and less disturbing than having both at same chroma level.
Thanks Colin, Mum :D

Vivien Maloney
05-11-2014, 04:12 PM
What a wonderful painting. You have certainly made your colors sing Bhavani, beautiful work!
I agree with what you are all saying about "making color sing". There is a book titled the same name as that, where she explains her color theories. Sorry I cant remember the Author's name, but its a very well known, and excellent book.