PDA

View Full Version : May 2014 Oil Pastel Monthly Challenge

SarahY
04-30-2014, 08:14 AM
Hello oil pastelists! :wave:

Below are the reference images for May's challenge. Feel free to use your imagination and go wild! You are also free to post works in progress if you need any help or advice.

Please tell us:
What support you used including any surface prep.
The finished size of your painting or sketch.
The brand of oil pastels used.
Whether you have used anything as an underpainting.

Other mediums may be used to complement, but the work must be primarily oil pastels. Oil sticks and oil bars may be used. Wax pastels are welcome too.

You have a month, but the thread will stay open so if you are unable to post by the end of the month you can do it later.

Have fun everyone! :clap:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2014/1713772-Oil_Pastel_Challenge_-_Butterfly.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2014/1713772-Oil_Pastel_Challenge_-_Cemetery.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2014/1713772-Oil_Pastel_Challenge_-_Dutch.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2014/1713772-Oil_Pastel_Challenge_-_Molly.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2014/1713772-Oil_Pastel_Challenge_-_Moon.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2014/1713772-Oil_Pastel_Challenge_-_Rose.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2014/1713772-Oil_Pastel_Challenge_-_Tom.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2014/1713772-Oil_Pastel_Challenge_-_Tree.jpg

Pat Isaac
04-30-2014, 08:56 AM
Great images, Sarah and thanks for hosting this month.
Pat

aolaranora
04-30-2014, 09:32 AM
Absolutely lovely collection! I'm in love with rats and cemetery... regardless if it does or doesn't sounds right.

Flycatcher10
04-30-2014, 10:19 AM
Lovely photographs Sarah, so nice to have you host this month!

Doobi
05-01-2014, 06:26 AM
Hi All,

My first dog painting using Daler Rowney OP on A3 sketch pad.

Looking for comments and suggestions.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Doobi

Flycatcher10
05-01-2014, 08:08 AM
Hi Doobi, wonderful dog portrait - would have never known it was your first! Nice work on his face is pure beagle look - his eyes are fantastic, and you managed to get his body form very well. Lovely work on his color spots, especially the whites.

SarahY
05-01-2014, 10:38 AM
Well done Doobi! Great work on the colours and the whites particularly. :thumbsup: The model is our bitch Molly, she is now 12 years old and has a completely white face.

I had a go at the night sky photo in my lunchtime today; this is 50 minutes work, Senneliers on Clairefontaine Pastelmat, approx 10" x 5". I got to use my Sennelier iridescent white! I'm calling it finished, I don't fancy spending tomorrow's lunchbreak drawing tree branches :lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2014/1713772-nightsky1.jpg

cem
05-01-2014, 01:38 PM
Doobi...Nice work on the Beagle! I have that photo eyed as well.

Sarah...Good way to spend your lunch hour! Well done. I have that one earmarked too.

cem
05-01-2014, 01:41 PM
Well I just had to try the bird first, cropped. Still very much in the learning process. C&C encouraged. Neopastels on 8x10 mat board.811282

tuscanny
05-01-2014, 02:07 PM
Doobi and Sarah - you are fast! Lots of time for another painting?
Lovely dog portrait Doobi!
Sarah well done!

Flycatcher10
05-01-2014, 02:47 PM
Very nice Bird Cindy - like the feather texturing.

Ah Sarah lovely night sky - works so well with the iridescent white! I like the tree silhouettes, beautiful with the sky backdrop.

Pat Isaac
05-01-2014, 04:24 PM
All of you are quick this month....
Wonderful work so far....

Pat

artefice71
05-01-2014, 05:23 PM
You're right, Pat, everyone's quick this month!
Nice pictures indeed Sarah, hard to choose which draw first!
Good work everybody, expecially Sarah's night sky and the eagle's feathers!

SarahY
05-02-2014, 11:10 AM
Well done on the Harris hawk, cem! That's my bird Tom, and you've captured his haughty look perfectly. I particularly like all the colours you've painted in his in his beak. They are more colourful than they look at first glance. When there is strong sunlight behind him, his beak turns pink.

I did a very quick one of the butterfly. I don't like it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2014/1713772-butterfly.jpg

It's 6" x 5", Senneliers on Sennelier oil pastel card. I wanted to try for something looser than normal, with more scratching. I don't feel it worked at all, I should have spent my lunch adding more trees to my previous one after all! And I found the Sennelier card horrid in every way, I'm going back to my beloved Pastelmat! :lol:

Pat Isaac
05-02-2014, 04:10 PM
Well, the butterfly certainly pops out from the background with hs glorious color. Could be too much green, adding some of the subtle tree shapes and browns might help. I don't like the Sennelier card either.

Pat

MarkCC
05-03-2014, 06:13 PM
Could not resist the moonlit scene.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2014/1344562-Cloudy_Moon.jpg

Sennelier's & Neopastels on Sennelier Oil Pastel pad. 10" x 5". I gave the bottom and top thirds a dark grey/blue acrylic underpainting. A black Prismacolor pencil was used to do the trees.

Mark

tuscanny
05-04-2014, 03:08 AM
Very nice hawk painting Cindy.
The butterfly with its red and black definitely make an impact, Sarah.
Mark, I like your trees!!
Here is my dog portrait on gold card A4.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2014/1256189-Ops_challenge_Molly.jpg

Flycatcher10
05-04-2014, 11:38 AM
Lovely butterfly Sarah and nice foreground leaves from shading to scratch effect.

Flycatcher10
05-04-2014, 11:42 AM
Nice nocturnal Mark, interesting cloud structure and I like the tree work, good distance developed.

Wonderful dog portrait Christel, one of my favorites of yours. I think it's because the background color really compliments the dog's face - the yellows in his face have been carried to the back and it works perfectly. Nice soft effect with his fur and ears, and I love his face ~

SarahY
05-04-2014, 02:12 PM
Well done MarkCC and Tuscany, truly lovely paintings! :thumbsup:

Vivien Maloney
05-05-2014, 03:07 AM
Christel - lovely dog portrait! Youve caught his expression beautifully.
I'm just beginning Oil Pastels (one medium Ive always been keen to try). I'm going to an Oil Pastel Workshop for the next couple of weekends, so I'll see how I get on and if I pick it up enough to post anything in these Challenges....time will tell. I'm looking forward to learning a new medium.....should be fun.:D

Flycatcher10
05-05-2014, 07:36 AM
Lovely to see you join us in the OPs forum Vivien and you're going to love painting with oil pastels. Kenneth Leslie and John Elliott each have written a book on oil pastels that are well done and worth the money for learning how to manipulate the medium.

Hope you join our challenges!

tuscanny
05-05-2014, 11:41 AM
Thanks Viv! Hope to see your ops paintings soon!

lorigina
05-05-2014, 01:29 PM
Hi everyone. Been looking at everyone's submissions.

Doobie - Nice musculature on your dog.

SarahY- Love your night sky, and I like the effect of the iridescent pastel. I think I'm going to try them out. Gives a really cool effect.

Cem, You did a wonderful job on the bird's head. I had wanted to try the bird, but didn't know how to approach it.

MarkCC- I love the effect of the moon and the wind in your night scape. It conveys movement well.

Tuscanny - Your doggie looks so real! I love it.

I've started with the graveyard landscape.

6 x 9 on card stock, primed with acrylic gesso.
Expressionists, Caran d'ache

Pat Isaac
05-05-2014, 04:09 PM
Nicely done, Mark....you have captured the mood.
Fantastic dog portrait, Christel. You have captured his essence.

Pat

Flycatcher10
05-06-2014, 06:40 AM
Nice graveyard Lorigina - nice distance and I like the light atmosphere that you created with the scene. Your trees have a lot of character.

AllanWaiShingMak
05-06-2014, 07:36 AM
l really like the moon light painting. the bright and silvery moon shinning through storm thundering clouds. it is a perfect storm.

MarkCC
05-06-2014, 03:47 PM
Sarah, I really like the smooth gradients in your night sky. That is more the effect I was going for initially but could not achieve it. I don't seem to be able to get smooth blends easily with OP's. Particularly the Senneliers which often seem to slide around on me too much.

Both puppy portraits are really nice in this regard as well.

Mark

artefice71
05-07-2014, 04:04 AM
@Mark - I definitely like your night vision; the tree design, your color choice, your style, everything. I think your painting is something Caspar David Friedrich would be proud of. It's simple and visionary.
@Christel - Awesome work with your dog portrait. Beyond the design, the great fur texture, the vivid colors, your dog has life and character.
@Lorigina - Nice cemetery (as much as a cemetery can be :)). I don't know if this is a start or it's finished. I would add more contrast and nerve, but this is just my impression, maybe due to the colors of the picture you've taken.

SarahY
05-07-2014, 06:06 AM
Sarah, I really like the smooth gradients in your night sky. That is more the effect I was going for initially but could not achieve it. I don't seem to be able to get smooth blends easily with OP's. Particularly the Senneliers which often seem to slide around on me too much. Have you tried a different surface? I saw on your post that you used Sennelier oil pastel card, I have the same problem with this surface. I usually use Clairefontaine Pastelmat and the colours blend much more softly and smoothly. As I'm still fairly new to oil pastels I don't know enough to say why for sure, but I would speculate that it is because the Pastelmet has little grabby fibres throughout its surface, whereas the Sennelier card has a waxy smooth layer over the texture and the pastel can't take hold.

Flycatcher10
05-07-2014, 09:09 AM
Hi MarkCC - Sarah is right in her assessment. Senneliers need something to grab onto or the OPs will slide around a bit. You can put down thinner layers and let the OPs setup overnight or a couple of hours so that they harden slightly making it easier to apply subsequent layers of OPs.

Some surface choices to consider that have a sandy/gritty surface: pastelmat, museum board, hardboard w/a clear gesso coating, watercolor paper w/clear gesso coating, Mi-teintes touch paper or pastel paper, sandpaper, U-Art or Wallis pastel papers, Ampersand boards or cardstock papers.

Senneliers can be slippery and depending on the temperature of where you paint, this can also effect how the OPs perform. I'm in TX and now that the temps are in the 90's they easily melt in my hands so thinner layers are better for me.

MarkCC
05-07-2014, 10:08 AM
Have you tried a different surface? I saw on your post that you used Sennelier oil pastel card, I have the same problem with this surface. I usually use Clairefontaine Pastelmat and the colours blend much more softly and smoothly. As I'm still fairly new to oil pastels I don't know enough to say why for sure, but I would speculate that it is because the Pastelmet has little grabby fibres throughout its surface, whereas the Sennelier card has a waxy smooth layer over the texture and the pastel can't take hold.

Hi MarkCC - Sarah is right in her assessment. Senneliers need something to grab onto or the OPs will slide around a bit. You can put down thinner layers and let the OPs setup overnight or a couple of hours so that they harden slightly making it easier to apply subsequent layers of OPs.

Some surface choices to consider that have a sandy/gritty surface: pastelmat, museum board, hardboard w/a clear gesso coating, watercolor paper w/clear gesso coating, Mi-teintes touch paper or pastel paper, sandpaper, U-Art or Wallis pastel papers, Ampersand boards or cardstock papers.

Senneliers can be slippery and depending on the temperature of where you paint, this can also effect how the OPs perform. I'm in TX and now that the temps are in the 90's they easily melt in my hands so thinner layers are better for me.

Mary and Sarah, thank you for your suggestions.

This was my first time using the Sennelier oil pastel card. I like the heavy weight of it, but yes it lacks tooth. Most of my OP's have been done on the toothier side of 138# mixed media paper, or Ampersand pastel boards. But I still struggle with getting smooth blends. Another problem I run into consistently is that I start out too dark and then cannot bring the values up. I am trying to train myself to think light to dark with the OP's.

Mark

lorigina
05-07-2014, 11:08 PM
Mary, Paolo, thanks for commenting on my painting. I agree that I need to have more contrast. The colors look dull due to the light I took the pictures in. They are somewhat brighter in the original. I'll make the changes and post again.

Flycatcher10
05-13-2014, 01:22 PM
Loved the Night scene Sarah, here is my go at it.

Mystery
Oil Pastel: Mi-Teintes black pastel paper
Senneliers and Holbeins

C&C welcomed. Thanks, Mary

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2014/974094-Mystery.JPG

Pat Isaac
05-13-2014, 01:30 PM
It is a mysterious scene. I really like the lighting around the moon.

Pat

tuscanny
05-13-2014, 01:32 PM
That really is mysterious! Love it!

Flycatcher10
05-13-2014, 01:46 PM
Thanks Pat and Christel, this was so much! I had a ball painting this nighttime scene.

lorigina
05-13-2014, 06:18 PM
Mary, that is just gorgeous. I love the colors in the dark sky.

Flycatcher10
05-13-2014, 10:01 PM
Thank you Lorigina, the sky was a lot of fun to develop on the black pastel paper.

artefice71
05-14-2014, 01:32 AM
Great job Mary! You've done magic on that sky! I love the richness of the colors.

SarahY
05-14-2014, 04:18 AM
Lovely cemetery scene lorigina, I missed it somehow! It has a great airy, light atmostphere.

Beautiful night sky Flycatcher, wonderful colours!

Flycatcher10
05-14-2014, 11:26 AM
Thanks Paolo and Sarah!

MarkCC
05-15-2014, 08:55 AM
Love those colors in your sky Mary. Not just the colors but how naturally you laid them in.

Mark

Flycatcher10
05-15-2014, 10:00 AM
Thank you Mark for your comment and feedback!

Vivien Maloney
05-17-2014, 08:33 PM
Hi everyone - I'm new to Oil Pastels so this is my first OP post in this Forum, I've been a soft pastel artist for many years. I did think that OP's wouldn't be that much different from using soft pastels...how wrong I was!:eek: The dust from Soft Pastels was beginning to disrupt my breathing, so I thought I'd try Op's and I do like them:thumbsup:

I did everything wrong with this OP painting! My first mistake was to choose black Mi-Teintes paper (my thinking was that it would work well for the darkest values in the rose). Of course it did but then I had to cover up the black background, so I laid on a wash of Gouache, then pasteled over it. Still couldn't get it to look good, so I apologise for that! My second mistake was not to wait until the Neopastels, I've ordered arrived, so I used my harder, OP's and of course had so much trouble covering up and blending!:o
Then because I was using Mi-Teintes paper, I couldn't get anymore layers on and my pastels were sliding off at the end when I wanted to add highlights on the petals. I certainly learnt a lot about blending etc from this one!
My next OP is in progress at the moment, and is for the A & W Forum, monthly Challenge - I'm using Colorfix for it and I'm much happier with it.:crossfingers:
Please let me have your comments and suggestions on this piece, as I'm really keen to learn.

30cm x 25cm - Oil Pastels on black Mi-Teintes paper
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2014/196305-img161.jpg
C & C's welcome and appreciated.

tuscanny
05-18-2014, 01:22 AM
A very lovely rose for your first ops painting! for harder ops I use tortillions as I have more control over blending. I make my own and have a variety from thin to thick. A trick I've picked up, when I use hard ops I add just enough soft ops to aid with blending. This helps if I add soft ops on top right away. More layers can be added after it has set for a day.

Vivien Maloney
05-18-2014, 01:25 AM
Christel - thank you. How do you make your own tortillions? Can you tell me how to make them?

tuscanny
05-18-2014, 08:20 AM
Sure Vivien. I use stiff paper the size of a postcard or roughly 10x17cm. The different types of paper have different effects and last different times. The green card is softer. The magazine cover I halved and then folded the half again. Then I roll it up making a stiff point. The masking tape is to tape down the end and the folded open end. Try out different papers. The glossy papers last longer. Hope it helps! I actually read about how to make these on a post here at op forum but I can't remember where though.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2014/1256189-tortillions.jpg

Pat Isaac
05-18-2014, 10:29 AM
Welcome to the OP forum, Viv...:wave: First OP....this is nicely done and you obviously learned a lot doing it. I do like the the soft variegated colors in the background. Perhaps there could be some stronger highlights on the rose.

Pat

Vivien Maloney
05-18-2014, 03:45 PM
Christel - thanks very much for your info on making the tortillions. I'm going to make some.:)

Pat - thank you! Yes I did learn lots with my first OP.....mostly about what NOT to do! I have finished my second OP for the A & W challenge and have begun a 3rd one for the Floral Forum Plant Parade. I feel I need to keep using my OP's so I can continue learning about them. The more I use them, the more I like them! :thumbsup:

Flycatcher10
05-19-2014, 09:47 AM
Hi Vivien, so glad to see you and excited that you're painting with oil pastels. OPs take a little getting used to, but you'll love them - no doubt about it. A variety of techniques for paint and manipulating the medium, they really do let your imagination take over - it's fun.

I can't believe your rose is your first OP, because through trial and error you managed the black paper very well - beautiful rose! It's a great surface color for when you want a darker tone to the overall scene, but a bear to cover up - so I'm amazed at how effective you were in getting the lighter tones. The leaves are wonderful, I can see how the dark paper worked in your favor for those beautiful tones. I love the rose, you did get some beautiful value ranges w/n in the petals - so nice.

Can't wait to see more of your OPs paintings Vivien!

Vivien Maloney
05-19-2014, 02:26 PM
Mary - Yes, it was a bit of trial and error with that first OP rose!:o
I'm enjoying Oil Pastels and very excited, as our local Art Shop has contacted me to tell me my new Neocolors OPs have arrived. So I'm away into town today to get them. Cant wait to try them out. :clap:

Pat Isaac
05-25-2014, 04:01 PM
The neos are just wonderful....I'm sure you will have a good time.

Pat

Vivien Maloney
05-26-2014, 10:20 PM
I wanted to try our my new Neopastels, so I've painted the Beagle dog with them.
I love the Neopastels - so much softer and makes blending so easy compared to my cheaper, harder Oil Pastels!

25cm x 20cm - Neopastels on Mi-Teintes pale gold paper

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2014/196305-img167.jpg

Flycatcher10
05-26-2014, 11:21 PM
Absolutely stunning painting Vivien - gorgeous edging work from soft to hard, those eyes are fantastic and love the fur from colors to the softness.

You managed the neopastels beautifully - really hard not to love these oil pastels.

tuscanny
05-27-2014, 12:48 AM
Beautiful!! It looks as if you're a natural with ops!

artefice71
05-27-2014, 03:48 PM
This is awesome Vivien, really amazing! I'd love to see some wip just to know your methods.

Pat Isaac
05-27-2014, 04:33 PM
Oh my, this is outstanding Vivien....I love everything about it. I knew you would like the neos....

Pat

Vivien Maloney
05-27-2014, 10:12 PM
Mary, Christel, Paolo and Pat - Many thanks for your lovely comments on my Beagle dog Pastel.
Paolo - When doing animal portraits, I always do the eyes first because if the eyes aren't right, the whole painting falls to bits.
You were right....I do love those Neopastels. Hope to do many more OP's paintings with them! :)

rjmarchitect
05-28-2014, 10:17 AM
Really Really NICE! I agree on the intensity of the eyes. I have a question for you as your closer to Australia than I am, have you used or heard of Marcus Art oil pastels?

SarahY
05-28-2014, 11:08 AM
Lovely beagle portrait, Vivian! :thumbsup: beautiful colours and blending.

Shirl Parker
05-28-2014, 11:52 AM
Vivien, ditto on everything everyone has said. I just love the soft look of it.

lorigina
05-29-2014, 11:38 AM
Vivien, your Beagle is excellent! I love his eyes, especially. Beautiful job.

lorigina
05-29-2014, 11:48 AM
This is my re-do of the cemetery. I changed the tree, and tried to pump up the value contrasts. Caran d' ache, Craypas Expressionists, and some Portfolio, acrylic gesso coated card stock. 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 (I erroneously posted 6 x 9 before)

thevaliantx
05-29-2014, 02:57 PM
Absolutely lovely collection! I'm in love with rats and cemetery... regardless if it does or doesn't sounds right.

That's a little creepy. Planning on a natural burial? ;)

thevaliantx
05-29-2014, 03:01 PM
Lorigina, I like the sense of depth in your cemetary piece, and the textures of the trees.

Pat Isaac
05-29-2014, 04:24 PM
Looking good....I'd actually put some darker values in the foreground and the sense of depth would be greater.

Pat

lorigina
05-29-2014, 05:15 PM
Pat, you are so right. Making the foreground darker will also help me connect the darks. I appreciate your input.

TheValiantx, Thank you for the nice comments on my painting.

Vivien Maloney
05-29-2014, 05:24 PM
Lorigina - many thanks for your comments on my Beagle dog painting.
I agree with Pat about your painting. If you put more darks in the tree and the foreground, that will help to bring them forward and let the background recede further. Its a lovely painting, you just havent gone far enough with it yet.:thumbsup:

mudcat3
05-29-2014, 10:25 PM
I started this early this month, then got to working outside and didn't get back to it until this past weekend. When the weather is nice, I'm outside alot, when it gets hot later this summer, more indoor work is done. Guitar, Van Gogh and Cray-Pas OPs on matboard primed with home made grit primer.
18" x 27"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2014/161683-undertree_cropped_reduced.jpg

Pat Isaac
05-30-2014, 08:27 AM
Nicely done. I like the light coming through the branches.

Pat

SarahY
05-30-2014, 10:27 AM
lorigina, that's looking great! I love the soft pastel colours and the impressionistic strokes look really juicy and thick.

mudcat3, your tree is superb. I really feel like I'm standing under it looking up. Wonderful work on the shades and highlights.

lorigina
05-30-2014, 07:18 PM
Mudcat3, your tree looks really good. The perspective is accurate, and the canopy of leaves letting the light filter through gives a lovely effect.

Vivien, I know that you and Pat are right. I'm going to make the change now. Hopefully, I'll finish it before the end of the month: :D

Sarah, Thanks for commenting on my painting. Glad you like it.

aless
05-31-2014, 10:16 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2014/29508-beaglemolly.jpg

Wonderful work from everyone.
This is my first attempt at a dog portrait
Sennelier Oil pastel and a mixture of other pastels on A4 cream pastel paper.
I should have used better quality paper as this couldn't take the layers I was putting on.This is my attempted at getting back into art work again.Trying to participate more in the monthly challenges.

C/C Welcome
Sandra

Pat Isaac
05-31-2014, 10:52 AM
Great first attempt. You have certain captured the personality of the dog. I can see that it was difficult layering, but this is a very nice prtrait.

Pat

aless
06-02-2014, 05:07 AM
Thank you Pat for your comment.

Sandra.

Flycatcher10
06-05-2014, 08:33 AM
Very nice landscape Lorigina - beautiful work on the tree structures, the foreground one has a lot of character. The foreground darks have already been mentioned, just adding a bit here and there. I really like the soft atmosphere of the whole scene.

Lovely canopy w/the tree Carol - real nice light treatment as it streams through the leaves. I like how much structure you've given the tree, nice strength coming from it.

Beautiful work Sandra on the dog - just love the face and your treatment of his fur. While the paper might not have been able to take additional layers, the soft effects compliment the beagle. Real nice work on his nose and eyes.

pizzuti
06-19-2014, 04:01 PM
:)