PDA

View Full Version : Good use for the Mi-Teintes holes

cjkelly
09-26-2003, 05:02 AM
Just reading about Blissfully's woes with the holes on the rough side of Canson (recent cloud project posting) I can certainly relate, having had to ditch a good few pics in frustration - before realizing that it is allowable to use the smooth side...:rolleyes:

I did however find a good subject for the rough side. I finished this pic a while ago and it's hanging in my kitchen. Soft pastels (mostly W&N/Rembrandt) 31 cm x 55 cm.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Sep-2003/26542-MANDARINS_WC.JPG

jackiesimmonds
09-26-2003, 10:04 AM
Lovely pic you should be v proud!

Lots of artists DO like, and use, the rough side of Canson, and it can work well with certain subjects. It is good for landscape subjects particularly ... as well as lemons and oranges!

Jackie

Dyin
09-26-2003, 10:09 AM
this is a nice one! Hard to take a pic when it's behind glass...good subject for the rough side!

PablosDream
09-26-2003, 10:31 AM
Mmmm... makes me want an oragne. :D It's really nice.

blissfullyunaware
09-26-2003, 11:19 AM
CJ - This is an excellent painting of oranges :clap:, I also love the way the leaves came out too. Has a sun shiney type of feel to it. I love it! Now I know what to do with the rest of this Canson paper.... lol :D. Thanks for sharing this! Sharon

Luvy
09-26-2003, 12:40 PM
Love these oranges and can see the paper coming through Good use of the rough side *S*

E-J
09-26-2003, 06:48 PM
Luscious oranges and great shadows, cj!

I tend to use the 'unholy' side of Canson :D ... but yes, the pitted side can give a pleasing effect, depending on the subject.

ctmobitz
09-26-2003, 06:59 PM
Like your painting on rough side of Mi-Teintes.......lol.......Great job......I too have painted on rough side.........but turned out to my advantage........The White Birches in Snow......was done on the rough side.......its a real challenge but fun.

Happy pasteling

Claude

cjkelly
09-26-2003, 07:49 PM
:o Oh dear - it seems that perhaps my rendition of mandarins has not been too successful, being confused with their bigger cousins. I should have included the title I guess - "Mandarins".:D :D And yes, they really were delicious! Home grown.

Thanks for the comments everyone - I laugh and shake my head remembering my first experience with the 'holey' side - I bought a nice big sheet to try out with, but chose a portrait to do on it! Boy, I can't believe I'm sharing that embarrassing moment.....:o

Yes, the paper certainly has it's uses, with the right subject, and gives some really great results. I didn't throw away the disasterous portrait, but used the other side later on.

Dyin
09-26-2003, 08:42 PM
well, don't think mandarins on the bush are anything we see in the states, so think it's our fault! They're luscious, no matter what kinda citrus they are!