PDA

View Full Version : Nestled Squash

Leslie F.
04-28-2014, 01:07 PM
Finished this as a break from another project. It's been languishing since the autumn, when I was 'gobsmacked' as always by the squash and and gourds on display outside my local Whole Foods. (I stalk vegetables. I'm surprised I haven't been run out of the store with my camera phone.) It was done in ArtRage for iPad - sort of mixed media, as I think I used both watercolor and roller in the earlier stages. Having saved it as a jpg preparatory to uploading, I see that the contrast isn't strong enough- should have shadowed more, I think, although I believe I actually took the reference photo in a strong noontime light.

Comment/critique always welcome.

Elainepsq
04-28-2014, 02:11 PM
Leslie, you have a nice mix of textures here, but you are correct about the shadows. I would suggest deciding on which way you want the light and add some highlights and shadows. My first observation is the stems of the pumpkins. Typically, there should be more shadow, around the base of the stem.

Leslie F.
04-28-2014, 03:38 PM
Thanks, Elaine. I evidently postulated light from the right, since what shadows I have fall to the left. I'll go with that and strengthen them, as well as shadowing the stem depressions. Actually, the stems look kind of unfinished to me, maybe because the underlying pencil drawing shows strongly, maybe because I really didn't quite finish them last fall, and didn't notice when I quickly wrapped it up yesterday.

PeriSoft
04-29-2014, 01:36 PM
I see your nestles squash, and raise you a squashed nestle!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2014/1697450-sq.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :D

My main impression of the squash is that the textured bits and the non-textured bits seem to transition kind of abruptly; that might be the style you were going for, but it caught me out a little visually. I think if it were 'integrated' a little more to connect the various elements it would improve a lot with fairly few changes, but since I don't really know what I'm doing, I can't say exactly how I think that ought to happen! :)

Leslie F.
04-29-2014, 03:16 PM
Thanks, Peri. I think you're right about the transitions, I believe they were bothering me, too. Thanks, also, for the chuckle!