PDA

View Full Version : Making Prints

lucasmon24
04-25-2014, 07:16 PM
I have only sold original acrylic pieces but, have been working on some digital art that I would like to make prints to sell.

Is there a good site like Fine Art America that will print on demand? I would like to sell the prints for $8-$15.

I am new to this so, I am a bit confused on the methods.

FAA will print a 6x6 print for $7-$11,

Aspen Creek Photo will print a 5x7 piece for $.89-$1.07.

What is the difference? Is one a photo print?

If so, are photo prints of digital art work "good enough" to sell quality wise?

I have used Aspen Creek Before for large photos so, I know the quality is there but, I wonder if it would be acceptable for artwork prints.

LavenderFrost
04-26-2014, 11:37 AM
I'm not familiar with Aspen Creek Photo but just considering that it has the word photo in there I would guess that there would be a difference in quality. Do they offer any information on their site about the print quality, or perhaps you could email them. Is their product considered archival? And does it matter to you and your customers? What if you went with both to offer a choice? Some people will pay more for quality, others want a good deal.

Elainepsq
04-26-2014, 01:45 PM
If you have used their printing before and was happy with it, I'd go with it. I'm not familiar with Aspen Creek Photo, but I'm assuming they have some sort of customer support person you could ask about longevity. There are so many variables there. Will it be hung in a sunny spot, will it be in a moist environment? And of course, it's always best to have it matted with acid free matting and mounted under UV glass. But generally, I find that photo printers as well as good quality color laser printers are saying their prints are good for 100 years or more.

Personally, I like to stick to a printer I'm satisfied with. No matter how many times I download the color profiles, there are some printers that I'm just not satisfied with the color or the values.

bsnance
05-06-2014, 05:29 AM
I agree with Elaine. It is amazing how different two different print shops can look. Try a couple different ones, and when you find one you like, try to always use the same one.

Good luck,

Bryan Nance

www.facebook.com/bryannanceart