PDA

View Full Version : Purple flowers by the river

b'anna
04-24-2014, 01:58 PM
This was done in PainteX3 , mostly "REAL WATERCOLORS" with some opaque for details to finish. All comments and critiques are welcome and thanks for looking.
Barb

frayling
04-25-2014, 04:57 AM
I like it the softness is nice ...the only things that hit me are the sky and the water have very similar tonal levels which makes the far bank seem as if it's floating in the air. IE it doesn't seem connected to the rest of the picture and due to the dark tones in that strip it is pulled forward especially as the black addition overlaps the middle bank.Also you have put detail in the middle bank and the far bank but none in the immediate foreground where you would expect the most detail to be?So my tip would be ditch the black and repaint /alter the sky or the water tone and put some atmospheric perspective in for the mill and the far bank and get some detail in the foreground
Sorry if this seems like I've ripped you picture to pieces but I'm known for saying exactly what I see as "I" see it .but that doesn't mean I'm right
regards Rob

LavenderFrost
04-25-2014, 11:56 AM
Very pretty scene and the building is really interesting and nicely done.

Good advice given already. I wouldn't touch the sky but I think the water just needs to reflect the background more.

Lucy-Foote
04-25-2014, 11:47 PM
I guess I don't need to give you any advice Barb, I do like the colors and the purple color of flowers. The building looks interesting too.

Lucy http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2014/70668-A_Foote_icon_bak.JPG

b'anna
04-27-2014, 04:24 PM
Thanks for looking everyone and Rob, Thanks for the feedback. It all makes sense. Think I might go back and work on it a little.
Barb

b'anna
04-27-2014, 04:47 PM
I softened the background and the building a bit and strengthened the foreground. I think this helps a bit. What do you think? thanks!
Barb

frayling
04-28-2014, 08:09 AM
Hi Barb you have improved it quite a bit but I would have gone much further with it I hope you aren't offended but I did a quick dab along the lines I would have taken to show the areas I felt needed adjusting for my personal taste only. I will post it in a comment here if you are interested or put it in a PM if that is possible
Regards Rob

b'anna
05-09-2014, 01:12 PM
Rob, thanks for the feed back! i really appreciate you taking the time. Now all I have to do is find the time to go back and play with it some more.
Barb

Oh and if you still have the touchup I really would like to see it!

frayling
05-09-2014, 06:31 PM
my pleasure barb
In my touch up I softened the black and gave some distance by adding highlight to the water.added some quick reflections in the water.cropped the foregound a little to make the mill more of a focal point.took away the pointed edge on the middle bank as it led my eye over to the left.added a softlight gradient black to white to highten the blue and soften the background.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2014/50510-barn_and_pondwc.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2014/50510-barbs_barn_adjust1a.jpg the single picture is the first crop i did but it is a little to short in the foreground the comparison picture is the correct crop

bryn
05-10-2014, 08:21 AM
I think this is good, I have no success with painter water colours even though I used to use the real thing.
bryn