PDA

View Full Version : Where to start?

mmdm
04-23-2014, 10:30 AM
I would like to learn to paint landscapes. I haven't been happy with my attempts so far and it seems very different from painting still lifes or animals or portraits. I wanted to download some of JV's lessons to get started but I'm a bit lost. I bought Oil Landscape Painting Essentials but it was mostly tips on this and that like trees or rocks. No homework and nothing on how to paint a landscape as a whole. Where is a good place to start? Paint Stunning Landscapes from Photos? Essentials of Painting Trees, Complete course? And would the tree one be isolated trees or would we be putting the trees into a landscape?

Do either of these have homework that I could still get responses at this late date?

Are there other downloadable courses would be better to start with?

roseC
04-23-2014, 01:15 PM
Ah...good question, I would like to know this as well

Johannes Instructor
04-23-2014, 10:50 PM
I would like to learn to paint landscapes. I haven't been happy with my attempts so far and it seems very different from painting still lifes or animals or portraits. I wanted to download some of JV's lessons to get started but I'm a bit lost. I bought Oil Landscape Painting Essentials but it was mostly tips on this and that like trees or rocks. No homework and nothing on how to paint a landscape as a whole. Where is a good place to start? Paint Stunning Landscapes from Photos? Essentials of Painting Trees, Complete course? And would the tree one be isolated trees or would we be putting the trees into a landscape?

Do either of these have homework that I could still get responses at this late date?

It depends on how much material you can afford or the time you have to watch. The "Paint Stunning Landscapes from Photos" addresses general compositional aspects and ways to avoid the reliance of copying photos. The Essentials go directly to the specific themes of each landscape area mentioned in the titles and reveal the "secrets" of what you need to know to depict the diverse landscape symbols.

Johannes Instructor
04-23-2014, 10:52 PM

It depends on how much material you can afford or the time you have to watch. The "Paint Stunning Landscapes from Photos" addresses general compositional aspects and ways to avoid the reliance of copying photos. The Essentials go directly to the specific themes of each landscape area mentioned in the titles and reveal the "secrets" of what you need to know to depict the diverse landscape symbols.

mmdm
04-24-2014, 11:23 AM

I can't afford the whole set of either at once, so I'm glad they are available in sections. That is very helpful. I hope to eventually get all of both but I don't know which should come first. Sounds like maybe the Essentials should come before the photos one?

Will prior landscape experience be necessary for the flowers class? I'm not clear on whether it will be flowers in the landscape or up close florals.

Johannes Instructor
04-25-2014, 07:19 AM
I can't afford the whole set of either at once, so I'm glad they are available in sections. That is very helpful. I hope to eventually get all of both but I don't know which should come first. Sounds like maybe the Essentials should come before the photos one?

Will prior landscape experience be necessary for the flowers class? I'm not clear on whether it will be flowers in the landscape or up close florals.
I would start with the Essentials first because the complete 24 photos course is longer and more costly. No, you do not need landscape knowledge for the flowers course.

mmdm
04-25-2014, 07:49 AM
I would start with the Essentials first because the complete 24 photos course is longer and more costly. No, you do not need landscape knowledge for the flowers course.

That's where I'll start then. Thanks very much. I'm looking forward to learning from you.