PDA

View Full Version : Love to paint, hate the naming. HELP!

Delmus Phelps
04-22-2014, 10:02 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2014/159648-zalia800.jpg

There's alot of glare, a hurried photo. Any naming idea's? Pink Azalea with bee just doesn't cut it for me, and, well, I'm terrible at names. This is a pretty big piece weighing in at 39" x 60". I can't even back up enough in the studio to get a good picture. Oh well, another day at the office, and I'm not complaining.

Thanks in advance!

Joanne_N
04-22-2014, 11:59 PM
Oh, wow, that is so beautiful!! Sorry I can't help with naming it, but I sure would love to hang it on my wall.:clap: :clap: :clap:

dougbug
04-23-2014, 09:52 AM
call it " Oh I Like that one" Doug

FEARLESSCAT
04-23-2014, 10:16 AM
What about "natural attraction "or simply "pollination in pink " ?

maryinasia
04-23-2014, 10:18 AM
beautiful!

Vivien Maloney
04-23-2014, 10:13 PM
Very beautiful painting! I'm no help with naming..can never think of names for my own...sometimes the most difficult part of the painting!

Delmus Phelps
04-24-2014, 12:47 AM
What about "natural attraction "or simply "pollination in pink " ?

oooooo yea. pollination in pink. will grab my thesaurus and play off of that.

This was my Easter painting this year, and these bushes are just now blooming. It is a glorious and magnificent thing to behold, as my neighbor does nothing to his bushes (which surprises me every year he gets these displays), and he has over a dozen (all different colors) that bloom for a few weeks.

Thanks for the suggestion fearless.:thumbsup:

Charlie's Mum
04-24-2014, 12:57 PM
A beauty to behold indeed - this is gorgeous!

(One of the reasons I like to watch The Masters golf from Augusta is to see these in full glory!)

Titles? ....... Glory Bee!

............ Ah, Lunch!

............ Honey in the making!

:D :D

Delmus Phelps
04-26-2014, 02:57 PM
Some of the things about this painting I would like to push into the name. I've read some articles on naming or titling your work, and the first thing that comes to mind is a sentimental name. when I first saw these flowers, as I do when I view most flowers, is their short life span, and the need to drink this in before it is gone.

another theme I want to include is the color. PINK.

I'm continuing to let my subconsciousness work on this too. I look at it before putting my head down for the night.

Still open for suggestions along these lines.
Thanks for those that have responded, you are the BEST!

cem
04-28-2014, 12:39 PM
Gorgeous!

Antiqueteacher
05-02-2014, 10:08 AM
Delmus, wow and wow!! :clap: :clap: Yes, I do like the Bee, too. He is a little 'treasure' to find in all of the pink. 'Radiating Pink'? Names are not always easy, but it has been proven that the name helps to grab the attention and helps to sell the painting.

Katherine :music: :music:

Margaret 59
05-02-2014, 11:02 PM
Beautiful painting!
How about Symphony in Pink?

bhavani.krishnan
05-05-2014, 03:57 PM
Wow! Love it!

RamyaSarvesh
05-06-2014, 03:26 PM
what depth , great painting

Ole_Bitty
05-14-2014, 04:29 PM
Gorgeous indeed--beautiful work! How about "In the Pink"? The phrase means "In perfect condition, especially of health" which ties in nicely to the fleeting perfect health of the blooms.

Lady Carol
05-14-2014, 05:55 PM
In coming!!!!!

Love the painting.

Delmus Phelps
05-14-2014, 06:42 PM
Thanks for all of your suggestions. The more I looked into how to name a painting, the more I came back to how I felt when I first saw these blossoms. There were literally wave and wave of blooms all round me. Charlies' house has so many of these bushes each year. I felt like I was in a sea of blooms.

As a kid, when we would go to the beach, one of our activities was, and still is, to ride the waves. Body surfing on a small board. You would have to wait for the wave and catch it just as the surge was rising.

The name chosen is "Pink Surge"

At five feet across, when close to the piece, if feels just like that.

Thanks again everyone for your help. It indeed got my creative process started in searching for a great title to this piece.

Best wishes,

Delmus Phelps
05-21-2014, 10:45 PM
In coming!!!!!
In the Pink
Symphony in Pink
Radiating Pink
Glory Bee!
natural attraction
pollination in pink

I hope you don't mind, I've added these to my "naming journal".
Since I paint alot of flowers with bees, these may come in handy.

Again, thank you for helping in this en devour. WC never lets me down!

............ Ah, Lunch!

............ Honey in the making!

Susaleena
05-23-2014, 12:38 AM
This is so gorgeous!!!

Some ideas on naming:

"Radiance"
"Immense Delight"
"Pink Delight"
"Think of Me"

lol I have so many painting names..without the paintings...

MSRivers
05-26-2014, 01:42 AM
Amazing! Regarding the name, the first word that came to my mind was ...blush. Perhaps working that word into the title?

MSRivers
05-26-2014, 08:37 PM
Your work is beautiful. May I ask, how long it's taken you to develop your level of skill? Thank you.

Lea51
05-27-2014, 02:50 PM
That must be a real stunner in real life! Wow! I've never painted anything that large! I like what you chose for the title...I think it fits very well, and it's always good to go with something that relates to what you felt that made you want to paint the scene! Sometimes I know that I need to paint something because a title pops into my mind when I first see it. Other times, I grope for a title and usually settle for something boring...

I think your painting is superb, and the title is perfect!

bluemoonstar
05-31-2014, 06:01 PM
Wow! Its truly gorgeous! Would love to see this baby in "real life"! Thanks for sharing it here in the digital world.

billy boy
06-04-2014, 01:11 AM
I know I'm late with this. How about,
"Flight of the bumble bee." A beautiful
painting....

PaintingMum
06-06-2014, 12:39 AM
Fantastically beautiful painting and I love the name you chose too :)

Ladysue
06-06-2014, 11:00 AM
Well, this might be late but useful.

When I try to write, I follow a path that goes often from one language to the next and follows images. I am lucky to speak 2 languages and dabble into a third one and you would be surprised at how inspiring it can be to translate.

So for your painting, I was thinking of what you said, how those flowers don't last long. It struck a cord... with the winter we had up here!:envy:

So the word in English I thought of was : ephemeral, which translates into éphémère, and the first saying that came to mind was a French one l'amour est éphèmère, then I went onto Linguee to get a few versions of this saying translated to English and ended up with one which was love is fleeting I feel it sounds appropriate by the sound fleet which could refer to a bunch of planes and calls to mind fly... I may be making links where there aren't any, but there you have it, my suggestion Love is fleeting or fleeting love...

If you want to add the color, I'd go with the meaning of the color rather than the color itself. For exemple, pink brings to mind : young, feminine, delicate, sweet

Ah! sweet!;) with the bee, wouldn't that be appropriate! Fleeting sweet love...

I could go on for ever:clear: , so'I'll just stop here. :rolleyes: