PDA

View Full Version : Pastel Pencils?

maddybarr
04-22-2014, 11:55 AM
I'm looking to buy a set of pastel pencils, but I am completely lost on brand to buy. I own a set of Fabre castell pastel sticks which I love but I am not sure if I will like there pastel pencils as much as I like the sticks. I know pastels come in different hardnesses, but I'm not sure which brands are softer or harder than others. What brand of pastel pencils should I buy? And how hard are the pencils?

Judy Manuche
04-22-2014, 12:47 PM
I use Carbothellos, the are a good multi-purpose pencil. I have heard that Caran d'ache's are great, I want to try those. If you have an art store like Blick nearby, they sell pencils a la carte, you can purchase one or two and see if you like them.

_Tomo_
04-22-2014, 01:54 PM
The best thing to do is to check a few of each brand. I am pretty sure you can not go wrong with any of the well know brands. I have Derwent which i can say are very good. Just today a got a second hand set of Conte pastel pencils, so i will make a review of them pretty soon. I have a few Cretacolor and they are a bit harder then other two, which is good for details. In the end i dont think you can do wrong even if you buy a set beacuse you can use different brands with each other. Be sure to check the lightfastness ratings of pencils if you want to sell your stuff.

Oh and by the way you will have some fun time sharpening them :D I have heard that carbothellos are best for sharpening beacuse if i am not mistaken binder in them is not what most of others use. Though not sure about that

Studio-1-F
04-22-2014, 03:47 PM
Better than following anyone else's advice is to chose which brand YOU like best. You can order a Pastel Pencil Sampler from Dakota, here: http://www.dakotapastels.com/pages/index-pencils.aspx

It has six different brands that you can compare and chose the one best suited to your own needs.

Have fun!! :thumbsup:

Jan

*Deirdre*
04-22-2014, 05:08 PM
I've moved this to our Talk section as it's a discussion, and I've left a redirect just in case!

tulabula
04-22-2014, 05:26 PM
I have a little of almost every kind and find uses for all of them but my favorite by far are the Caran dAche pastel pencils. They are really wonderful! When nice and sharp they give a clean line and they lay down on top of other layers better than any of my other pencils. They are soft and buttery. I also use my Carbathellos and Conte some but 98% the Caran
I love them!!!

Sunione
04-22-2014, 06:35 PM
Like the sticks, the pencils vary in softness and chroma within any brand. I have Pitt, Carb-Othello Stabilo, Conte and Gioconda pencils. The colors I love in one, I might not like in another brand. I know it's frustrating but experimenting is the best way to narrow down your choices. If I had to choose just one brand it would be the Stabilos. The subjects you are painting, the paper you work on and how much you use the pencils within your work will determine which brand is best for you.

keepingpure
04-22-2014, 10:15 PM
As Jan said, it is best if you try out several kinds and figure out what you like best. Just be sure to experiment how you will most likely be using them.

I have Carbothellos; which are wonderful if you are doing an entire picture with them, but they are really too hard to mix with or accentuate regular pastels. My goal is to find something a little softer that I can use with my pastels to accentuate the finer details.

colinbradley
04-24-2014, 10:02 AM
I moved from Carbothello a number of years ago to Faber Castell Pitt Pastel Pencils. The reason I prefer to use them is because their pigmentation is higher and their manufacturing process creates a more durable pencil in my opinion. The pencil leads don't crack or break when I sharpen them.

I used to have to fix and re-work my pictures when I used Carbothello pencils but I don't have to do that with Faber-Castell. I haven't had to fix a picture to date and I have been using Pastel Pencils for 30 years.

_Tomo_
04-28-2014, 12:20 PM
Post in the other thread

colinbradley
04-28-2014, 12:27 PM
Moved reply other thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20066463&posted=1#post20066463)