PDA

View Full Version : Crumbly Unison

stapeliad
04-21-2014, 11:10 PM
Hi All,
Has anyone had experiences with darker unison colors being brittle and crumbly? I recently took the plunge into buying a 36 set of these awesome pastels after trying a few open stock ones...and I was very surprised when trying out my BV18 that it was hard and wouldn't make a mark. When I applied a little more pressure it broke. (it did start making marks tho)

I have read that this has been an issue with dark colors in other brands but is it typically true of Unisons?

Sunione
04-22-2014, 06:37 PM
Yes, I have had the same experience with the dark colors. I do like the Unison light colors a lot though.

keepingpure
04-22-2014, 10:11 PM
I have had the same problem with my darker Senneliers. They tend to seemingly have a hard, outer shell.

I find that if I rub away the outer layer on something textured like sand paper (don't have to rub hard that way), the inner layer is much softer, and very usable.

DAK723
04-22-2014, 11:33 PM
I have never used Unisons, but in my years here on the forum I haven't seen many comments about Unisons either being hard or crumbling. But there are the occasional hard sticks even in the very soft brands such as Sennelier. I can recall one green that was very hard and almost impossible to use. Senneliers (the full size sticks) are also known to crumble a bit, and Rembrandts are often mentioned as having an almost wax like covering that often needs to be sanded or rubbed off.

Don

stapeliad
04-23-2014, 09:54 AM
Thanks everyone! :) I will try lightly sanding the outside.
Don, I also haven't seen comments about them being hard and crumbly. (btw you should give them a try :evil:)

I have a set of Rembrandts from about 15 years ago and they do not crumble, I also have three sets of Senns and have very recently acquired the full set of Blick pastels with a 40% off coupon. And of course the Unisons and some open stock Schimnkes....... and a set of Diane Townsend too.....

I love paint. Dry or oily, doesn't matter. :)

SAS Designs
04-23-2014, 02:55 PM
The Sennelier half sticks ( 80 Landscape, 120 Paris) are so much more usable than the full sticks wrapped in paper. Every time I tried to take the wrapper off a full stick, it crumbled. Especially the dark blues, violets. But the 1/2 stick are much creamier, seem to stay together better.
I used a small, stiff Stencil brush on the 1/2 120 Rembrandts, it was easier for me than using sandpaper.
Think I'm one of the few who have also found very hard, almost too hard to crumble in Great American.
Does anyone else disagree with the Soft Pastel Llisting Chart from Dakota. Still surprised they put Mt. Vision at the bottom of the Soft list.

Ruthie57
04-24-2014, 05:39 AM
I've never had that with the darks or BV range. The ones that seem to be too hard to make a mark are a couple of the darker ones in the red violet hues. Sanding would help, but breaking them should also expose useable pigment from the inside.

Saskia
04-24-2014, 07:05 PM
The Sennelier half sticks ( 80 Landscape, 120 Paris) are so much more usable than the full sticks wrapped in paper. Every time I tried to take the wrapper off a full stick, it crumbled. Especially the dark blues, violets. But the 1/2 stick are much creamier, seem to stay together better.

I keep reading this, but the 30 or so Sennelier full sticks I bought open stock a month ago have not crumbled. From what everyone said I sort of expected them to, but I took the wrappers off, broke them in half, and they were fine. I wonder why.

I also have their set of 120 half sticks, and I do like the shape better, but I haven't noticed a difference in regard to breakage. Of course, I've only tried the 30 full sticks, so maybe that doesn't mean anything.

JPQ
04-27-2014, 06:25 PM
I have on hard blue? (i think its blue not dark violet or dark blue violet actually to my eye is more green blue than violet blue) is Landscape 8 its very hard to compared all other unisons what i have. saddly i like mostly darks and lights in Unison. btw i dont much more to get level where i dont have limits maybe about 13 hues which i going get sennelier(i dont found suitable form Schmincke,and Unisons are big part special order here and their some are too colourful compared what i magined based colour chart). btw still my main brands are Unison and Schmincke not in order. Some darks,greens,and lights (even these are not in order) are biggest reason what i even need Unison. but for single brand i prefer Schmincke.(i paint mainly flowers).