PDA

View Full Version : 6 color gouache palette, how is this for a 'natural/realistic' gamut?

Phthalocyanine
04-21-2014, 03:26 AM
I am basing this off of how some colors reacted when used in watercolor/same brand. I'd paint people/faces.

1.Titanium / Permanent White
2. Pyrrole Red
3. Azo Yellow
4. Ultramarine Blue
5. Prussian Blue
6. Burnt Sienna

1. Indispensable.
2+3 = Primary colors.
4. To make a dull but adequate purples. Dull greens with yellow.
5. For greens with yellow. Black-ish indigos with red.
6. To make grays with blue; skin/flesh with red/white/yellow.

Mythrill
04-21-2014, 09:19 AM
I am basing this off of how some colors reacted when used in watercolor/same brand. I'd paint people/faces.

1.Titanium / Permanent White
2. Pyrrole Red
3. Azo Yellow
4. Ultramarine Blue
5. Prussian Blue
6. Burnt Sienna

1. Indispensable.
2+3 = Primary colors.
4. To make a dull but adequate purples. Dull greens with yellow.
5. For greens with yellow. Black-ish indigos with red.
6. To make grays with blue; skin/flesh with red/white/yellow.
Hi, Phthalocyanine (what a nice nick!)

Your palette should suffice, but I'd add "Quinacridone Magenta" (PR 122) for lips and cheeks. Mixed with your Pyrrole Red (PR 255 or PR 254?) PR 122 should give you a rose hue, almost identical to Quinacridone / Permanent Rose (PV 19.)

If there's no PR 122 available, look for PV 19 (rose or red shade, in this order.) Quinacridone Rose / Red (PV 19) is a bit warmer and less versatile, but it still works as a nice "magenta" for the cheeks and lips, and gives you more natural mixes out of the tube.

You can extend your range of dull greens by using a black pigment (yes, black!) and mixing it with your azo yellow. If you want "cooler" (leaning to blue) greens, try Mars Black (PBk 11) or Lamp Black (PBk 9;) as a more versatile mixing color, though, I personally prefer "Ivory" (Bone) Black (PBk 7.)

Also, by mixing black (any) with Ultramarine Blue (PB 29,) you should get a more lively indigo without loss of chroma. If you want to mute it further, then you can add your Pyrrole Red. This will improve your "indigo" range.

Finally, I'd also recommend Yellow Ochre (PY 43,) or Opaque or Transparent Yellow Iron (both PY 42.)

Any of these yellow three colors should suffice, but on a limited palette, Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide (PY42) is the most versatile. It gives you a dull yellow used as-is, but as you lighten it with water, it gives a soft, glowing yellow that can be mixed with white and give you natural skin tones almost magically. It can also be used for natural sunlight effects or more realistic greens.

Mythrill
04-21-2014, 09:28 AM
In a nutshell, here's your palette with those additions:

Titanium / Permanent White (PW6)
2. Pyrrole Red (PR ?) -> Is it PR 254 or PR 255?
Azo Yellow (PY ?) -> Is it PY 3 or PY 74?
Ultramarine Blue (PB 29)
Prussian Blue (PB 27, I assume?)
Burnt Sienna (PBr 7 / PR 101)
Quinacridone Magenta (PR 122) or Quinacridone Magenta (PV 19)
Black (any; use the one you like best.)
Yellow Ochre (PY 43) or Opaque Yellow Iron Oxide or Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide (both PY 42, but the transparent version is more versatile.)

Patrick1
04-21-2014, 02:49 PM
The original 6 colors make a good all-round moderately high chroma palette. Purples will be especially limited in chroma but this might be good as a natural/realistic palette. As Mythrill says, maybe add a Quin. if you need the brightest mixed purples. I find real Prussian Blue unbeatable for mixing blacks & near blacks.

Have you tried out these 6 colors on portraits as you intend - and if so how did you like the results? Were you able to subtly control/vary the mixes (especially chroma) in the 'warm' fleshtone color zone (various peach, pinks, browns, reds, greyed violets, greys, etc.) ?

opainter
04-22-2014, 09:49 AM
For a limited palette of 6 colors, you have selected just about what I would chose. "Azo Yellow" could be a high-chroma yellow (if PY3 or PY74), or a lower-chroma yellow (if Nickel Azo Yellow, which is PY150). A lower-chroma yellow will probably serve you better because it mixes more natural greens. A higher-chroma yellow mixes better (i.e., not brownish) oranges. So I would increase my palette to 7 colors. You will be able to mix something approximating a dull Alizarin Crimson using Pyrrole Red and Ultramarine Blue, but you won't get anything higher in chroma. If you want to mix any clear cool reds or violets, you will have to also add Quinacridone Magenta (PR122) or some flavor of dark purple. That makes 8 colors. Too many, already?

Gigalot
04-22-2014, 01:27 PM
1 Cadmium Orange PO20
2 Dioxazine Purple PV23
3 Phthalo Green PG7
4 Quin Magenta
5 Phthalo Blue PB15
6 Lemon Yellow

If I can't add the seventh white color, I just avoid it and will use pure paper or primer instead because it is nonsense for me to paint without normal pigments. :lol:
If no choice to have normal paints, then I will try to use two-colors monochrome palette:
1 Burnt Umber
2 White

I hate to limit myself, I hate limited palette and limited color gamut. When I have no money to buy artists paints, I will go to buy student grade. If no money to buy student paints then I will go to buy Chinese paint, kids paints, and I will grind self-made black, brown, aluminum, copper resinate and iron oxides. I wish to get normal colors anyway.