PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday 5/16/14

Darisc
04-16-2014, 07:28 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2014/1706895-image.jpg

ChristyQ
04-16-2014, 07:40 PM
Oooo I really like this theme you have going.

Darisc
04-16-2014, 07:43 PM
Thanks Christy. Still having trouble with posted images migrating.

Spottters
04-16-2014, 08:53 PM
Boy that is beautiful. Love it.

Spottters
04-16-2014, 08:53 PM
What is the size medium etc. ?

abstractca
04-16-2014, 09:15 PM
I really like this!

Darisc
04-16-2014, 09:51 PM
What is the size medium etc. ?

All are done on iPad using Procreate app. Some of my previous posts describe the app. I've printed canvases up to 40" x 60" with sharpness and clarity.

They're all studies for paintings but I've printed many and exhibited them as giclees; all the creative energy goes into coming up with the images, after which painting them becomes like changing tires. :(

Procreate is the first computer program I've used which allows one to create images just as if it were not a stylus, but rather, brush, pastel stick, pen, et al.

There aren't a lot of bells/whistles/filters like in Photoshop. The artist, not the app make the art.

jimwhalen
04-17-2014, 05:28 AM
I am really enjoying your series. I find this one especially appealing.

Darisc
04-17-2014, 06:44 AM
Thanks to all! I'm happy you enjoy my work.

Kim34
04-17-2014, 01:23 PM
I'd be interested in seeing some of the paintings you create after the studies. I usually do my studies in pastel, but recently I tried creating a study in Photoshop instead. The final painting was much more difficult for me with the Photoshop study...

Anyway, your computer generated piece is lovely!

Darisc
04-17-2014, 05:54 PM
I'd be interested in seeing some of the paintings you create after the studies. I usually do my studies in pastel, but recently I tried creating a study in Photoshop instead. The final painting was much more difficult for me with the Photoshop study...

Anyway, your computer generated piece is lovely!

Thanks, Kim. My studies have become the finished pieces. I'd go bonkers trying to duplicate them with paint on canvas or other natural media.

I'd originally thought that I'd project them on canvas, then paint them, you know, the old fashioned way. So I decided to employ an inkjet printer to project ink rather than colored light onto the canvas and ended up with exhibit quality pieces on which, I quickly realized, I'd spent my creative energy and moved on to create more images. I realized that starting over by painting over them would be like changing tires. So, those images that I choose to exhibit are giclee prints.

However, now that I've discovered an app which let's me work as if I am using ink and paint, I've decided to "augment" some giclees with oil bars/acrylic/collage/or... So, rather than painting over the print completely, I'll be creating original, mixed media pieces.

I looked at your website and like what you do, especially your jazz series! In one of those paintings you've very subtly represented some facial characteristics which, to my eye, makes the painting warmer and more personal than the faceless musicians in the other paintings.

A slight aside; "computer generated" implies that the computer is "programmed" to generate images. I don't use a computer in that way, although in the past I did a lot of work in Photoshop, wherein I used a LOT of computer generated filters and effects.

What I like about the Procreate app is that it is totally UNLIKE Photoshop, in terms of its use as an approximation of natural media for creating images...in other words, my Ipad images are no more "computer generated" than my paintings on canvas are "paintbrush generated". :)

I still laugh when, more infrequently, lately, someone viewing my work will exclaim, "Wow! A computer did that?" Once I replied, "Yes and you ought so see some of the paintings my brushes did!" :wave:

Kim34
04-19-2014, 11:39 AM
That's interesting and I think it's very cool that you've found the right medium for you. Especially like the idea of augmenting to create a mixed media piece!

Thanks for checking out my work - if it appears I put in facial features in a jazz piece, it is purely coincidental. :)

I can see you are very talented and in no way have prejudice toward how a piece of art is created. I believe it is the end result that matters, not how it was achieved. Paint on! :)