PDA

View Full Version : Daring to share?

kishtara
04-16-2014, 06:41 PM
Hi all.. I've been a lurker here for a long time! I really want to start sharing my art and getting some valuable feedback and criticism, so here we go..

Here are 2 abstract pieces I did this week.. thoughts?? I don't know if I'm finished them yet or not.

birdhs
04-16-2014, 08:21 PM
well....

the upper painting is interesting. almost seems a bit centered. I like the subtlety of the colors, it could be brighter-but that is just me.
Research "Color Field" artists on the web, this is related to that style.

The fluidity of the lower piece is soothing. again, a little bit more of brightness would appeal to me, as would a little more modeling.

as a side note-- try to hold the camera so that it is square with the painting. The quality of the phot really affects the way the art is perceived. and we do not need to see what is outside the painting, it is distracting. There are a few free programs you can download that will do the basic cropping functions.

and glad to see new artists showing up here.
welcome!

tanxfersharinwidus

greggo

abstractca
04-16-2014, 09:17 PM
the second picture I really like the structure and colors of the posts

AndreD
04-16-2014, 09:45 PM
I like these two pieces. The first one has nice pastel colours that give it a "calmness". The texture gives it a more organic feel to me.

I like the second piece. It has good depth and the muted tones in the background don't overpower the grey "tubes". It would be interesting to see what they would look like against a more contrasting background but that's more for my curiosities sake :P.

kishtara
04-17-2014, 10:49 AM
Thank you for the valuable feedback, I really appreciate it. I realize photography is a skill that I should develop more as an artist, especially for posting photographs of artwork online. For example I don't think the brightness and colors come through correctly from the photographs.

I really love abstract art and I'm trying to learn how to paint this way but it's more of a mindset and sometimes difficult to achieve! I'm going to keep on practicing :)

AndreD
04-17-2014, 05:25 PM
It can be hard to get the pics just right. Even if you had a calibrated monitor and got them perfectly they would look different on somebody else's monitor.

Abstract is definitely a mindset and for some it comes more easily than others. I struggle with it some days and others everything flows just right. Just keep practising and you'll get into a groove with it that works for you. You're off to a great start with the pieces you've shown already!