PDA

View Full Version : What do I set my paper size to??

Crackers
04-14-2014, 06:44 PM
I never know how big and how many pixels per square inch to put. I want something in which I can get real detailed, but not something so big that it slows my computer down. What do y'all usually do??

I have Corel Painter X

LavenderFrost
04-15-2014, 12:28 PM
I usually set the size in inches and the resolution at 200 or 300 ppi. Often I set it to 11 x 14" at 300 ppi and I don't have much problem in Painter. I also use a lot of layers. But I also mainly just work with brushes. I noticed when using the dodge tool that it was a little slow.

stevenlee-idraw
04-15-2014, 07:47 PM
Jumping in, hiya doin!....

I don't think in terms of paper size unless my intentions is to end up in print.

My thinking even then is generally in pixels and then to paint as large as my system allows with good function. My imac can handle Photoshop files in layers easily at 5000 x 7000 pixels, 8000 x 10000 a little slower.

To my way of thinking it's more important to decided on height to width ratio first, just as you would with in a pigment painting. You know, does a scene look better square, landscape, portrait, cinematic? Then work out the pixel size and worry about the print resolution last, if at all.