PDA

View Full Version : Rusty Old Truck - Please Critique

arl
04-13-2014, 12:05 PM
This painting is based on an image in the RIL; thanks to the contributor. I used Corel Painter 12 mainly oil and acrylic brushes and a custom leaf brush. I used copper paint for the truck and tones of green with the wet oil brush. I then used the photo add grain brush; metallic satin on the window, head lights and truck. I left the linear perspective skewed. All help and comments are appreciated. Thanks.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Apr-2014/114108-study_truck_JPG_adj.jpg

LavenderFrost
04-14-2014, 11:09 AM
I feel the foreground plants are competing for attention, they are very sharp while the truck is fuzzy. Would like to see more light on the front of the truck, and the back of the truck needs a bottom.

The colours are good, and you got the darks in there which I know you often struggle with.

Elainepsq
04-14-2014, 02:35 PM
You have a really good start here Arlene. I would put a few sharper details particularly on the front of the truck. I was just visiting an oil painting workshop the other day, and the instructor was talking to a student about varying edges how you should have some soft and some hard edges, I think you have too many soft edges on the truck.
I see what Michelle is saying about the back of the truck, In needs something inside the bed of the truck, not green.

arl
04-15-2014, 06:24 AM
Thank you for your help.

dennylives1
04-15-2014, 10:30 AM
firm up soft edges and vary the tone and texture of the rust. maybe sone lettering on the side. stanford and son. age the name too.

dennylives1
04-15-2014, 10:30 AM
crack the windshield

arl
04-16-2014, 05:59 AM
Thanks to everyone for their help. I implemented all suggestions. I had left the truck's bottom empty because I liked the pattern and integration with the background. Since it appeared to jar people, I added some brown to this area.