PDA

View Full Version : bestsaidlater

saje
04-12-2014, 05:35 PM
plaster, iron oxide, wc 18"x5"x12"

the title is very directional so I will post later. This piece goes to where I do not but, oh well. I initially did not understand what the meaning was but the images moved up through the primal dust in my head to be born. After a couple weeks of angst the title gave me the 'ah ha' moment of what this all meant.The first picture is the best true color representation. The red iron oxide seeps from the outer points of plaster.

your comments will be much appreciated.

saje
04-12-2014, 05:42 PM
the mask the one person is holding was formed by a mold made of the face on the other side of the wall and then poured plaster.

materials-inside the bowl is cold cast bronze

Spottters
04-12-2014, 06:41 PM
Wonderful as usual....amazing the feeling that is conveyed in your work

birdhs
04-12-2014, 08:45 PM
Could look at this for hours and still be amazed

abstractca
04-12-2014, 09:03 PM
Amazing works!!!

Ishka Baha
04-13-2014, 04:11 AM
Wow, what an emotionally moving piece. To me it represents, 'Outside looking in'.
I really liked your statement, "I initially did not understand what the meaning was." It is strange how sometimes you can create something and not understand the meaning behind it until sometimes days after. This is so true.

DMSS
04-13-2014, 07:58 AM
Very interesting piece. Your sculpture, this one included, makes me think, and ask questions. Someday I would like my paintings to have that effect on people. Really interesting work. Thank you for sharing it.

saje
04-13-2014, 10:00 AM
thanks spottters, birdhs and abstractca, thanks much

Ishka, this was the most time consuming piece for me to get to know. I can easily see your work fringes on this edge also.

thanks DMSS and your Dobson quote on the bottom of your page relates.

after the digestion period for a title, a phrase became the title "again, where are you?" what I don't like about this title is its directed correlation to creationism, gods and religions. I don't really care if people find this association, more representation of concept to them. It doesn't fit me. The head on the solitary side is as god which hands the bowl of life to the humanity. The humans can see the gift bestowed but cannot see the godhead.

then reading "Integrating Representational Objects into Abstraction Work" in the "abstract/contemporary" discussion the correlation to has become parallel. Using Ricks words "Using this perspective there is a high stone wall between representational and non-representational art". Reading this I immediately saw the wall in this piece as that wall Rich spoke of. Both sides have representational images, the second photo'd side of this piece has a lot of subtle images that make this piece more suggestive of inner representation.

Ishka Baha
04-13-2014, 01:22 PM
Saje, I can honestly say this sculpture is far more thought provoking than any of the sculptures I saw today in the Tate Modern in London. I can't get it out of my mind it is really great.

Ishka Baha
04-13-2014, 07:00 PM
And I am still staring at it!

saje
04-13-2014, 08:01 PM
Ishka, i am at loss for words, humbly 'thanks to you' because i also know-we speak from the same place!

Ishka Baha
04-13-2014, 08:11 PM
She bows wrapped in the highest grade of bubble wrap. LOL.

davefriend
04-13-2014, 08:16 PM
She bows wrapped in the highest grade of bubble wrap. LOL.What a great line!

So, Nikki, at the Tate ...were you on display? or maybe just part of the show? :lol:

Ishka Baha
04-13-2014, 08:23 PM
Pop, pop, pop and pop!

Ishka Baha
04-13-2014, 08:26 PM
Thank goodness Saje's pieces were not on show because I probably would have had to have been air lifted out!

Eraethil
04-14-2014, 04:48 AM
Intellectually captivating and it connects emotionally for me as well. There are many potential ways to interpret the piece, which is highly desirable. Well done!

jimwhalen
04-14-2014, 07:54 AM
Intellectually captivating and it connects emotionally for me as well. There are many potential ways to interpret the piece, which is highly desirable. Well done!

I couldn't have said it better.

saje
04-14-2014, 04:44 PM
Rick and Jim a deepest thanks and appreciation!