PDA

View Full Version : untitled for now

jimwhalen
04-12-2014, 08:29 AM
I painted this piece yesterday and this morning. Iwas inspired to step out of my box and do something inspired by the conversation in Dave's thread Integrating Representational Objects into Abstraction Work . While this piece does have a title, I have not included it. I will post it after hearing some of your impressions of the piece.

Acrylic on Canvas 16"x20"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Apr-2014/1121432-1-P1040272.JPG

DMSS
04-13-2014, 08:29 AM
I like your colors and the way the major masses fit together in interesting ways, like puzzle pieces. My eye seems to want a small, maybe only very small, pop of higher chroma color. The circle shapes, especially the largest one --in the upper left--keep me looking at this piece, and I like the way the smaller circles support and balance the largest circle.

I also like the way the circles (line) provide contrast -- because they say "line" -- with the large colored shapes, which say "mass." In this regard, your painting has taught me something (how line and mass can interact compositionally) and I think that is really cool, so thank you for your teaching.

I'm looking forward to learning the title.

jimwhalen
04-13-2014, 05:01 PM
Thanks for your comments David. One thing I forgot to mention when I posted this is that with this piece I was exploring the painting as a 2 dimensional object as you discussed in your post...so this piece is intentionally as flat as the canvas it's painted on.
I think it is very cool that my crazy experiment has taught you something. :)

Inward Arts
04-13-2014, 05:09 PM
LOVE that palette and the orb (circle) above the cross. I sort of find the white rectangles a bit distracting, but overall I really love this piece.

jimwhalen
04-14-2014, 06:08 PM
Thanks Rachel.

The title for this piece is "Moses Delivers the Tablets".

ChristyQ
04-14-2014, 07:15 PM
It has a religious feel to it. The front looks like a cross with the circle above it like the old paintings of saints with the gold halolike circles.

Edit: i just read the title. I win!

Hairy wolf
04-15-2014, 02:55 AM
Love it, Jim!

abstractca
04-15-2014, 11:58 AM
such beautiful bright colors, great placement!

Eraethil
04-15-2014, 02:48 PM
With the religious context, I saw the white passages as very intentional distractions - the hidden subjects of the painting. We all see something different. They do seem to fight a little with each other and the circles for attention, but I cannot help but enjoy the piece, so I think it is working overall.
Cheers!

trufflecat
04-16-2014, 10:55 AM
I spotted the cross also and figured it might have something to do with the resurrection, given the time of year, but didn't guess Moses. I do love your choice of colors and the overall composition. I think the circles fit in well with everything else and just add to the vibrancy and originality of the piece. Excellent job.

jimwhalen
04-16-2014, 12:03 PM
Thanks for all your thoughtful comments. This really iwas an experimental piece on several levels. I was attempting to:

1. paint the imagery as 2 dimensional as the canvas itself
2. incorporate at least one recognizable image into the abstract painting
3. withhold the title to see if or how it changed the perception of the viewer
4. I also used symbolism, some universal and some self created, to convey
a narrative (a narrative that would be unrecognizable without
the prompting of the title).

I hope it was as fun and informative for you, as it was for me.