PDA

View Full Version : Blick pastels, any good?

Mettaphorica
04-11-2014, 02:32 AM
Hi
Has anyone tried Blick pastels? What are they like? Do you know where they are made? Recommend or not?
thanks
cheers
Donna

robertsloan2
04-11-2014, 04:24 AM
I got a sample Blick Artist pastel, the nicer ones, just by emailing Blick and asking for it. It broke in the post but it has a nice soft texture, medium softness closer to the soft side. Round stick, very nice texture, strong pigment, I would easily buy a set of these if I had the budget to add more brands to my lineup and do trust Blick for quality on their house brand materials. They tend to come up with good suppliers and have high standards if it will carry their name.

I am not sure but I think these are actually made for Blick by Daler Rowney, or one of the other regular artist grade brands. They're not student grade. They are good pastels. I want some, like I said I just don't have budget. Price is excellent and the packaging looked decent too. Cheaper in sets than in open stock, so I'd suggest first ask for a sample, then consider a set. I had the full range set on my "next to buy" list for some time and was about to get it right before I moved and stopped having ludicrous amounts of spending money to put into art supplies. Then they doubled the range, which I thoroughly approved of.

Depending on your tastes, skills and habits, the smaller sets might be okay. This could make a good brand for the big set to anchor a collection. My big full range set is now discontinued, that was how I could afford it. But if I wanted one where I could afford to replace used up sticks, Blick is high on my choice of what I'd replace it with.

I wonder why no brand has come up with the Full Range Half Sticks Set for some of us completers. They'd sell like crazy. Though I like the trend to 120 color half stick sets, that's very cool and a good range for carrying out for plein air.

RickinNM
04-11-2014, 04:47 AM
I am a beginner but I like them softer than Art spectrum or Rembrandt . I have heard they are made by Daler-Rowney similar color names like lizard green Daler-Rowney has 186 colors Blick 180. For the price $2 / stick is pretty good.

I started with Nupastels moved to 45 piece set of blicks Been adding different brands to try I will get more Blicks and more Art spectrum for medium soft been buying a few schminke like them better than other soft brands but need to try a few more brands.

I think I have 90 blicks some have a hardskin on them till you use or sandpaper it off. I had 1 middle grey crumble on me the rest are fine it must have been dropped before I used it. The amount of pigment or color strength is better than hards but cant touch the real soft ones .

ArtistMelinda
04-17-2014, 07:55 PM
I tried about 6 of them and really like them - they seem a little softer than Rembrandt and have good strong color. If I didn't have 250 Rembrandt, I would get a whole set of DB.

DBfarmgirl
04-18-2014, 09:19 AM
I have several of these, and plan to buy more.
I like them much more than rembrandts. I especially like that the pigments are listed for each color, not some mystery red-violet, but good lightfast red-violet pigments are used.

SAS Designs
04-18-2014, 01:16 PM
I called DB and they are happy to send you one as a "sample" - mine arrived today, and I'm pleasantly surprised at the almost creamy texture. The one I got is green, so I can't vouch for the darker violets, blues. Those are the colors which seem to be the most variable in the soft pastels I've used.
I tried some Great American because they were so highly reviewed here on WC, but I'm finding them surprising hard, with little "chunks" of what seems like clay in them, can't see how Dakota has them so high on their list of "soft" pastels. I'd put them harder than Mt. Vision.

Devonlass
04-18-2014, 02:11 PM
I like the DB pastels, I have quite a few and use them often. SAS I'm amazed that you find GAs to be hard, to me they are extremely soft and creamy and I love them. Different strokes for different folks I suppose. They are certainly a different texture than Mount Vision which I also love, but I definitely wouldn't describe them as hard.

Grinner
04-19-2014, 11:14 AM
SAS, I have several Great Americans - the vast majority are absolutely creamy soft. But a few of my violets are harder, and I'm wondering if the ones you have are in that family. All of the other ones are just scrumptious!

SAS Designs
04-19-2014, 11:21 AM
Grinner - yup, violets, and very dark blues, bluegreen. I bought only about 8 pieces to "fill in" - and those are harder ( even my art teacher was surprised at the texture) of them than the Mt. Vision of almost same colors.
BTW: Loving the 120 half Rembrandts, notice they are sold out at DB for a while. ALSO, found a better way then sandpaper to take off the "skin" - I used a very small bristle stencil brush. Perfect. And of course saved the "dust" to make a new pastel.