PDA

View Full Version : Sculpture in 3D

it'sALLart
04-10-2014, 10:10 PM
And you don't need the glasses.

harrymspitz
04-11-2014, 04:05 PM
Somewhat related to Hans ARP and Henry Moore (good company). I like the high contrast shadows and the scratchy blue overlay. Very nice adventurous work.

it'sALLart
04-11-2014, 04:52 PM
Thx, Harry! I wondered if you would notice this, very much your kind of shapes.

davefriend
04-11-2014, 09:43 PM
The color intensity is off the charts Keith!! Wow what an impact! I like it. I am going to come back later and stare at it in the dark for a while and see what happens... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Inward Arts
04-11-2014, 10:08 PM
Yowsa! that is intense. I stared for only a bit and my whole body reacted. I like the intensity of it. It makes quite an impact.

fatbrush
04-12-2014, 02:31 AM
Oh wow! This is quite remarkable. Fascinating artwork. Ady

DMSS
04-12-2014, 07:53 AM
Vibrant. What medium is this made in?

it'sALLart
04-12-2014, 08:48 AM
Thank you for the nice comments, all...

This is actually two photos superimposed on each other in Photoshop. The top layer is a sculpture of mine that is a model for a larger piece, the bottom layer is a picture of a pile of sticks that is mirrored and then reduced to a two-color high-contrast image. Using some filters and special effects, I was just playing around and when this 3d effect happened, I couldn't figure out why. Sort of took me by surprise.

Eraethil
04-13-2014, 01:04 AM
Exciting use of colour!

There are good theories about why this happens, but I don't know if anything has been completely proven. I think I was reading about "colour and depth ordering" last year when I was preparing to teach a workshop on the use of science in art making.

One theory is that the lens of our eye bends the lower wavelengths of light (reds) slightly less than the higher wavelengths (violets). As a result, we perceive warm colours as closer to us than cool colours. The stronger the contrast in wavelength, the greater the illusion of depth.

DMSS
04-13-2014, 07:51 AM
Exciting use of colour!

There are good theories about why this happens, but I don't know if anything has been completely proven.
Starting on page 2 of the following thread there is a good discussion of the science:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1342572