PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know how accurate this website is?

everelusive
04-09-2014, 07:58 PM
Hi everyone....

I am adopting a new medium (again), and after coming across information about using a CMY colour wheel, decided that I would get my 7 colours using this as my base (1 x white, 2 x each primary hue in opaque and transparent)

Having decided on a specific brand (Atelier interactive if you are interested- lol) I went looking for information on their colour composition as I wanted to get my colours as close to the primaries as I could and I came across this website..

http://www.art-paints.com/Paints/Acrylic/Acrylic-Paint.html

To me (and my inexperienced eye) this seems perfect as it breaks down the hue into its CMYK values so I can

1- avoid any colour with black in its composition and get a paint with a high chroma

2- get my colours as close to the ideal primaries as possible.

I was wondering if anyone would have any idea about how much I should trust the information on this site as it seems too good to be entirely true.

Rettakat
04-09-2014, 08:53 PM
I'm using the Interactive acrylics, too. Love em.

My all time favorite book on color is by Stephen Quiller, "
called "Color Choices". My old copy is all marked up, since I studied it and did the color experiments. Highly recommended.
http://www.amazon.com/Color-Choices-Making-Sense-Theory/dp/0823006964/ref=pd_sim_hg_8?ie=UTF8&refRID=0F4F87XBCDTBSXVVQGWE

I found a discussion here on wetcanvas about his color recommendations you might find helpful:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540283

As far as the website, dunno, sorry.

Hope this helps.

wingedbear
04-11-2014, 04:18 PM
colors online are composed of light, colors from pigments are composed of reflective light, so color fidelity is almost impossible.

the CMYK model is created from a limited palette of Cyan , Magenta, Yellow and Black, and can only describe a limited range of colors; there are many colors that fall outside the range of CMYK. further, while a printer may use Cyan, Magenta and Black to mimic the color Phthalo Blue, the actual pigment contains neither Magenta nor Black.

If you want a high chroma palette, the following colors are a good place to start:

Transparent Yellow - PY74,
Transparent Perinone Orange - PO73
Quinacridone Magenta - PR122
Phthalo Blue - PB15:3
Phthalo Green - PG7
Dioxazine Purple - PV23RS

you will be able to mix a wide range of high chroma colors from the above, though remember, painting is, in part, about the relationship of colors on the canvas, not how they sit on one's palette

a color that looks perfect on the palette can look all wrong when placed on the canvas with other colors.

everelusive
04-11-2014, 08:18 PM
Thanks wingedbear.

Patrick1
04-12-2014, 07:23 PM
It is laudatory (kodotory? :lol: ) that they took the time to post the GRB values for all those paints. Although it sounds like it might be a good idea, I don't think a whole lot can be gained by using those RGB values help you to decide which paints to choose - for several reasons. In my opinion, only real paint samples, mixes, and experience can show you what paints can do.

Choosing a paint without black in its composition might be a good idea, but that can only be known by checking the pigments used. As an aside, I remember some Grumbacher Academy acrylics (some 'pure' hues like Dioxazione Purple if I recall) inexplicably had tiny amounts of black added. I finally learned this was to adjust the chroma downward a teeny tiny bit in varying amounts, to ensure consistent color from batch to batch. But I found that to be a turnoff even if it wouldn't be a noticeable loss in chroma.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about trying to find the one ideal set of primaries. Everyone has different criteria about what is ideal. Your idea of one opaque one transparent of each primary hue + white is one good basis to choose your colors.

I've found that having variations in transparency for roughly the same hue is more important (to me) than choosing the 'just right' hue. For example, I like having an opaque mid or orange-red for solid color & highlights and mixing lighter colors, and a dark transparent counterpart (such as Alizarin Crimson or a good 'hue') for underpainting, mixing shadows, darkening lighter reds, and for mixing various blacks. Same with yellows and blues. I'm so used to using transparent colors alongside opaque ones of similar hue that I'd have a hard time getting by without them.

everelusive
04-14-2014, 07:43 PM
fantastic, thanks patrick!

opainter
04-15-2014, 03:13 AM
I went looking for information on their colour composition as I wanted to get my colours as close to the primaries as I could and I came across this website..

http://www.art-paints.com/Paints/Acrylic/Acrylic-Paint.html

Thanks, Luke, for that link. I also wondered about the accuracy as well as how up to date this website was. I decided to compare their information against manufacturer information from Golden Paints, specifically their Open acrylics.

On the Art Paints website, they have links to their Golden page, and on their Golden page, to "Golden Open Paints." If this is up to date, the number of colors and their names should be what Golden Paints has on its website. I was disappointed, because Golden has 80 colors of open acrylics, but Art Paints only shows 50. Not only that, but Art Paints says that Golden's line of open acrylics has 40 paints even while they (Art Paints) show 50 colors! The last color that Golden introduced new to this line was Titan Green Pale, two years ago (on February 13, 2012), and so the Art Paints website is clearly well over two years out of date.

As far as how accurate their color samples are, I didn't bother to compare.

So it looks like a great site, and the idea is sound, but the execution is lacking. Sorry!