PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop: how to create grids?

Uppercut
04-08-2014, 04:14 PM
Hey guys,

Trying to create perspective grids using the pen tool (I've seen people on Youtube do it) but I can't replicate it.

This has more to do with my inability to use the pen tool I guess. When I draw a straight line, I'm unable to start a new straight line. The pen tool always joins them up, even though I've seen people use the tool to draw reference/perspective grids.

Any tips on the pen tool would be useful. Also, the reason I'm asking this in a forum is this:

Do you have any general tips around using perspective grids? I've never drawn using one, but as I'm starting on landscapes I believe it'll really help to map out a horizon, and then get the grid in place so that I have an understanding of how the landscape should lay out as far as proportions etc.

Thanks!

Elainepsq
04-08-2014, 04:51 PM
Hi,
I would personally use the pencil tool, not the line tool. If you click on where you want the line to start, release, click and hold the shift key, and then click on where you want the line to end you will get a straight line. I would do any of this perspective drawing on one layer, and then start painting on another. You will see your line drawing while you paint, but you can hide that layer later if you don't want it to show.
Also, you can save the lower level as a separate document and then just start with that when you want similar perspective - not have to receate th wheel each time.

LavenderFrost
04-09-2014, 12:19 PM
I don't know much about your experience in art, but if you are just starting out I would suggest using good references to learn from. I painted many landscapes from a reference before trying to paint one from imagination. All that observation helps you learn how to lay things out and you may not even need a perspective grid, unless there are buildings or straight roads. And even then you really just needs a few lines, the horizon and the necessary vanishing points. I think a grid is more important for interiors.

A good book on perspective is Perspective Drawing Handbook by Joseph D'Amelio.