PDA

View Full Version : Abstract #1

josephxengraver
04-08-2014, 08:31 AM
My wife took one look at this and said “yuck, hate it”. As I know for a fact she has no idea what she is talking about when it comes to art. I post this before you and ask for comments hopefully to justify to her my first abstract work.

DMSS
04-08-2014, 09:45 AM
I quite enjoy your painting. Great colors, and there is a playful quality to your lines.

Inward Arts
04-08-2014, 10:16 AM
Ha. My husband is the same. Doesn't 'get it' at all! Anyway, I love the movement in here and there is depth too. Personally, Im still trying to tackle abstract and can appreciate how difficult they can be. Deceptively hard, really! I'd love to see more variety of shapes out of this one.

davefriend
04-08-2014, 12:34 PM
Abstraction is like vegetables to some people - there are those who love then and those who don't like them. People closest to us can be the best critics ...or the worst. Those usually carry the hardest impact and leave the deepest impressions.

Everyone has to find their own way in loosening up from the traditional approach if that is where they want to go. The two genre really are two different worlds and to live comfortably let alone productively in both is a unique and special gift.

What I like the most, interestingly enough are the 2 vertical lines. They break the curve theme. I also see the straight lines in the background of this which adds some compositional contrast in depth. A thought on this would be to expand the 2 layer depth and create a 3 layer depth by intertwining the curved lines with some of the straight ones.

In reality I think there are more than 2 layers in your painting but I use the 2 and 3 layer example just to simplify the concept.

Keep on with your explorations Joseph and find the place where your feet begin to leave the ground.

josephxengraver
04-08-2014, 01:12 PM
Thank you Dave for the encouragement.
Inward Arts Yes this is more difficult than most people realize.
DMSS You are too kind.
Here is the same Masonite panel with a few changes and cropping down in size to 30x45cm.

gulden
04-08-2014, 03:21 PM
Haha, I really had to laugh, when I read your intro! :D
For the painting, I really love it! Great piece of work!

abstractca
04-08-2014, 07:12 PM
really like it in the second, the colors and movement all dance

Trier
04-08-2014, 10:55 PM
Joseph, I think we are in the same boat in a couple of respects.

My wife just asks if it is something from my mad period, when I go to show her my latest effort.

Hang in there.

Regards,
Trier

Ishka Baha
04-10-2014, 03:16 AM
I think Abstractca's comments have nailed it on this one. Great piece.