PDA

View Full Version : Recent work

Darisc
04-07-2014, 10:53 PM
Hi folks,

I'm a painter, NOT a "computer artist", but I have discovered an iPad app which allows me to use a dollar stylus as a brush, pen, pencil, pastel stick, to sketch out ideas for works in traditional media.

The app is Procreate ($6 at the App Store) and is addictive. Trial and error are swift and results can be saved rendering one stultified as to deciding which to save/print/paint.

Here's a drawing I did ( on the iPad) and numerous images, all based on the original grayscale drawing.

Again, I'm not a "digital artist" per se, I just have found an incredible digital sketch book.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Apr-2014/1706895-image.jpg

karen m
04-07-2014, 11:25 PM
Very dynamic work! Keep it up. :wave:

AndreD
04-07-2014, 11:31 PM
That's pretty impressive. Almost makes me wish I had an ipad to play around with for a bit :P

birdhs
04-08-2014, 06:55 AM
Always glad to see new talent here. Glad you shared this with us, new ideas help those of us who are young at heart.

greggo

Spottters
04-08-2014, 10:21 AM
Very nice work....

Inward Arts
04-08-2014, 10:55 AM
OK, really? this is truely cool. I dont have an ipad, but maybe i should look into this app! maybe you can put it on a laptop???

B/c what you have done here is truely amazing. Now, to traslate the exact work in real media onto a real surface = could be challenging and/or feel LABOR intensive at best.

BUT for practice (which I need lots of and don't want to waste materials!) this is awesome.

i love the last one, in the top right corner. the composition is so dynamic. Wonderful work.

abstractca
04-08-2014, 10:59 AM
the colors and composition, very nice

davefriend
04-08-2014, 12:15 PM
These look fun although it is hard to see detail in such small thumbnails of the multiple pieces. Good color combinations. I like the ones with contrasts better. Nice loose effect for a digital approach. :thumbsup:

Eraethil
04-08-2014, 07:11 PM
Welcome to Abs Con!

Darisc
04-08-2014, 08:21 PM
OK, really? this is truely cool. I dont have an ipad, but maybe i should look into this app! maybe you can put it on a laptop???

Thanks! The app's not available for PCs or laptops.

Now, to traslate the exact work in real media onto a real surface = could be challenging and/or feel LABOR intensive at best.

For me, creative expression is in the development of the image on a touchscreen, just as it is on canvas when using paint as opposed to pixels. Setting aside the "craft" of painting and the "technical facility" of making digital images, the image is the goal and, to me, it doesn't matter whether I develop it with a brush or a stylus/fingertip.

I create my images as studies for larger paintings. If they were done in a sketchbook, they could be projected onto a canvas with an opaque projector, copied using a grid or gone at freehand.

What I'd planned to do when I began using a computer (Photoshop and Painter at first) was to print them on canvas then paint over them. But the images, fully developed on the computer screen, looked so good printed on canvas that I began exhibiting them as giclees.

Those pieces, mostly created in Photoshop, using various combinations of filters and very little use of brushes, were not really amenable to translation onto canvas. Works could be done in painter that mimic natural media very well, but I found the process excruciatingly slow compared to Photoshop.

Working on a touch screen with Procreate, using a stylus and/or finger, is totally unlike working on a PC, using a stylus and tablet and constantly jockeying back and forth on the various control menus.

Rather, working with this program is like having a small canvas and brush, pen, pencil and paints, all at your immediate disposal via a small number of controls on the touch screen - super intuitive and super easy to learn.

The images are high res and can be printed quite large without loss/pixelation. I have a 40w x 60h piece over my fireplace and have exhibited a number of 36" square and similar sized rectangles.

And therein lies the rub. It is so addictive to be able to work so fast, develop so many images, that it has been difficult for me to tear myself away and actually paint (I DO like the craft of painting with all the possible textures and tactility of brush strokes which are, of course, missing on "us augmented" prints).

So I am going in the direction of augmenting giclees by painting into them, fuzzing the line between prints and originals.

If you've not yet, check out David Hockney's iPad paintings. He uses the Brushes app, which I have also and which is blown out of the water by the Procreate app.

Here's another of mine.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Apr-2014/1706895-image.jpg

Darisc
04-08-2014, 08:29 PM
These look fun although it is hard to see detail in such small thumbnails of the multiple pieces. Good color combinations. I like the ones with contrasts better. Nice loose effect for a digital approach. :thumbsup:

Thanks Dave. Actually, with this app, I see it as a natural media approach using a digital sketchbook.

Darisc
04-08-2014, 08:38 PM
Welcome to Abs Con!

Thanks!

I try to post a third image and it posts but also replaces the second image I posted...two image post limit on one thread?

Trier
04-08-2014, 08:49 PM
Thanks for such a clear and detailed explanation of what you are doing to achieve those very interesting images. I am impressed, and am sort of the same mind as Rachel.

I see this as something I must check out. I also can see where this could become addictive, thanks for the warning!

Regards,
Trier

davefriend
04-08-2014, 09:58 PM
Thanks!

I try to post a third image and it posts but also replaces the second image I posted...two image post limit on one thread?On one post in a thread I believe you can get about 15 images in there - if you put too many on one post you will get a message from the posting uploader that there are too many.

On a similar subject, there is a thread limit. On AB/CON forum it is one per day but you can post a lot of images if you choose within that thread but I have found that if you post too many images all at once the other members may not comment on every one but rather give a general comment.

Nice to see your work up close as it were! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

FULLERARTIST
04-10-2014, 02:05 PM
Those are wonderful. Will have to get procreating......only I am past that age, LOL.