PDA

View Full Version : Essentials of Painting Flowers Discussion

Johannes Instructor
04-05-2014, 12:12 PM
New Course!

Essentials of Painting Flowers

Join Johannes Vloothuis and hundreds of other artists for a course that crosses all t’s and dots all i’s on how to paint flowers in bouquet format, still life, in house portraits, and wild flowers. Johannes is well known for teaching the techniques on “How the eye anatomically sees” as well as out of the ordinary painting secrets. Learn how to create exciting backgrounds, correct edge manipulation, impressionist areas, and more. All these will benefit your floral paintings so you don’t just copy photos. Demos in oils, watercolor and pastels will be given. Johannes is endorsed as an official instructor for FWMedia, the publishers of Northlight books, and several art magazines. You do not have to attend these sessions live. If you miss a class you will be able to download the recordings.

When? May 31 – June 21 (Four Saturdays)
What time? 1 – 3 PM EST
Where? Online
How much $29.99 Registration link pending

IMPORTANT:
If you do not get a video link right after you pay email us your receipt. Also for all customer service:
[email protected]
Requirements: High speed internet

mmdm
04-06-2014, 10:38 AM
Is it ok to post general questions about the upcoming class here? I don't see a designated place for it. I have a few:

Is there a some place I can see a some floral paintings by Johanne so I can see what style we will be doing? I only see landscapes on the Improve my Paintings site.

Also, on method, would these be paintings done in layers where one layer needs to dry first or more alla prima style? It is very very humid here and oils take forever to dry so I don't like to work in layers.

I won't be able to watch the webinars live. I don't know how long it takes for the downloads to be available to watch but it would be the following week before I could even start, and I'm a slow painter. Is there a deadline for how long we can still get help with a painting?

Since I can't watch live and ask questions, would I be able to post questions here and get answers on anything I didn't understand? I hope that's not too many questions. :)

sherrysherman
04-06-2014, 11:21 AM
Is it ok to post general questions about the upcoming class here? I don't see a designated place for it. I have a few:

Is there a some place I can see a some floral paintings by Johanne so I can see what style we will be doing? I only see landscapes on the Improve my Paintings site.

Also, on method, would these be paintings done in layers where one layer needs to dry first or more alla prima style? It is very very humid here and oils take forever to dry so I don't like to work in layers.

I won't be able to watch the webinars live. I don't know how long it takes for the downloads to be available to watch but it would be the following week before I could even start, and I'm a slow painter. Is there a deadline for how long we can still get help with a painting?

Since I can't watch live and ask questions, would I be able to post questions here and get answers on anything I didn't understand? I hope that's not too many questions. :)

This is as good a place as any to ask questions about the upcoming course. I will answer as best I can based on past courses. Anyone else - including Jo - can correct anything.

This is an "Essentials" course, not a paintalong. Usually these have lecture, slides, examples, demos - possibly pre-taped so it's edited, with Jo talking about choices he makes - and homework so we can try out what he's showing us. We usually post homework here and he spends the first half-hour or so of the next class going over what we posted and talking about what worked, what could be improved, actually showing us some improvements using Photoshop.

Jo gives us copies of the slide presentation. You can always ask questions here and Jo or another will answer.

The problem about not watching live is that usually these courses are NOT available for download a few days after the class. Jo usually spends time editing all the sessions, then sends them to F&W where they will be available for sale later on - could be weeks or months. You can buy them then. If you previously bought the live course, the amount you paid is usually credited against the F&W download price (generally about $10 more than the live course).

Jo generally does NOT paint oils (or anything) using layers. He gets it done in one sitting. Definitely alla prima. He usually tries to give us demos using different mediums, but he mostly focuses on the principles that would apply to any medium. Homework could be done in anything - once we had homework to do with a magic marker - working on shapes. If it's a painting or a vignette, it can be any medium.

I am not sure where to see flower examples, except in backgrounds and in landscapes. He may post some that are examples of bouquets, still-lifes, or other cases where flowers are more the "star of the show." Your style need not match his to learn.

Hope that helped. I have learned so much from his other courses, that I will do it without seeing examples. Before Jo, I thought I couldn't do landscapes (unless I had the "perfect" photo to work with). Now, I think I can't do flowers. If I have the same change in understanding, knowledge, confidence, and execution, I'll be a happy camper.

mmdm
04-06-2014, 12:18 PM
...The problem about not watching live is that usually these courses are NOT available for download a few days after the class. Jo usually spends time editing all the sessions, then sends them to F&W where they will be available for sale later on - could be weeks or months. You can buy them then. If you previously bought the live course, the amount you paid is usually credited against the F&W download price (generally about $10 more than the live course)...

Thank you, Sherry. That all sounds perfect except the long delay in getting downloads. Not only am I rarely home on a Saturday afternoon, but all my computers run Linux so I can't use the go to meeting software. I can watch the recordings but not the live feed. I could borrow DH's horrible Windows laptop on a weekday but he uses it on the weekends if we do happen to be home. I don't see any way I could watch live. :(

Maybe it would be better for me to just buy one of the previous classes but I will miss the interaction. Can you still get answers to questions and help on all the previous ones, too?

mickisew
04-07-2014, 08:33 PM
Thank you, Sherry. That all sounds perfect except the long delay in getting downloads. Not only am I rarely home on a Saturday afternoon, but all my computers run Linux so I can't use the go to meeting software. I can watch the recordings but not the live feed. I could borrow DH's horrible Windows laptop on a weekday but he uses it on the weekends if we do happen to be home. I don't see any way I could watch live. :(

Maybe it would be better for me to just buy one of the previous classes but I will miss the interaction. Can you still get answers to questions and help on all the previous ones, too?

Melisa: Questions are always welcome. You will find a thread in this forum for all the classes offered by Johannes. When a new post is added to a thread, it moves to the first page and is in bold type.

Jo usually answers any and all questions himself. There are also many qualified people here on the site who are willing and able to answer as well.

Sherry did a comprehensive response to your first inquiry. Again, ask away!

Micki

Johannes Instructor
04-07-2014, 08:57 PM
This is as good a place as any to ask questions about the upcoming course. I will answer as best I can based on past courses. Anyone else - including Jo - can correct anything.

This is an "Essentials" course, not a paintalong. Usually these have lecture, slides, examples, demos - possibly pre-taped so it's edited, with Jo talking about choices he makes - and homework so we can try out what he's showing us. We usually post homework here and he spends the first half-hour or so of the next class going over what we posted and talking about what worked, what could be improved, actually showing us some improvements using Photoshop.

Jo gives us copies of the slide presentation. You can always ask questions here and Jo or another will answer.

The problem about not watching live is that usually these courses are NOT available for download a few days after the class. Jo usually spends time editing all the sessions, then sends them to F&W where they will be available for sale later on - could be weeks or months. You can buy them then. If you previously bought the live course, the amount you paid is usually credited against the F&W download price (generally about $10 more than the live course).

Jo generally does NOT paint oils (or anything) using layers. He gets it done in one sitting. Definitely alla prima. He usually tries to give us demos using different mediums, but he mostly focuses on the principles that would apply to any medium. Homework could be done in anything - once we had homework to do with a magic marker - working on shapes. If it's a painting or a vignette, it can be any medium.

I am not sure where to see flower examples, except in backgrounds and in landscapes. He may post some that are examples of bouquets, still-lifes, or other cases where flowers are more the "star of the show." Your style need not match his to learn.

Hope that helped. I have learned so much from his other courses, that I will do it without seeing examples. Before Jo, I thought I couldn't do landscapes (unless I had the "perfect" photo to work with). Now, I think I can't do flowers. If I have the same change in understanding, knowledge, confidence, and execution, I'll be a happy camper.

I do intend to have the recordings for you a few days after each session. The edited ones that would go on sale would no longer be necessary for you to buy separately.

Johannes Instructor
04-07-2014, 08:59 PM

Micki and Sherry are answering correctly. Thanks to both of you.

Johannes Instructor
04-07-2014, 09:03 PM

Micki and Sherry are answering correctly. Thanks to both of you.

mmdm
04-07-2014, 09:48 PM
I do intend to have the recordings for you a few days after each session. The edited ones that would go on sale would no longer be necessary for you to buy separately.

Oh, that is wonderful, then! Thanks!

And thanks to Micki for helping me, as well!

Jacdesusbielle
04-08-2014, 07:12 AM

Well ! That's new Jo ! Thank you so much ! It's so easy to miss a Saturday for any reason .... as I was obliged to do last class .... Thank you anyway for this watercolour workshop. Saw your finished painting. Gorgeous as always.
Happy to see you in June and with a subject I am not at all good at ....

mickisew
04-08-2014, 07:56 PM

Thank you, Johannes!

God speed on your journey.

Micki

Sallyabc
04-15-2014, 12:49 AM
I would like to take Johannes course on flowers. Is he taking students yet? how do I enrol.

Rosemarie
04-15-2014, 01:06 AM
Check this page from times to times http://improvemypaintings.com/
It will give you a link to click when you can sign up.

Johannes Instructor
04-15-2014, 09:17 PM
Check this page from times to times http://improvemypaintings.com/
It will give you a link to click when you can sign up.Not yet. I am waiting for the registration link to be posted on Northlight.

roseC
04-23-2014, 08:54 PM
I'm planning on taking the class as well...my first one with you, Jo. I am really looking forward to it.

I'm also glad that you will be able to get the recordings of the sessions to us a few days later, because I won't be able to watch on Saturday's due to a long standing prior commitment.

So, if I watch the session when you put it up, and work on the assignments if you give us one, will I still be able to put my work to the link for your comments?

Thanks so much...

Johannes Instructor
04-23-2014, 10:38 PM
I'm planning on taking the class as well...my first one with you, Jo. I am really looking forward to it.

I'm also glad that you will be able to get the recordings of the sessions to us a few days later, because I won't be able to watch on Saturday's due to a long standing prior commitment.

So, if I watch the session when you put it up, and work on the assignments if you give us one, will I still be able to put my work to the link for your comments?

Thanks so much...
Yes, you would post your work in this exact forum. We all give you a warm welcome and hope you learn a lot. Fortunately flowers are quite easy to do and can turn out some real good paintings with just a few good pointers.

Johannes Instructor
04-24-2014, 04:55 PM
Free Painting Demo!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Apr-2014/135220-Flower20promo.jpg

We are inviting you to a free painting demo by Johannes Vloothuis.
The subject will be how to make urban scenes more interesting by
adding flowers to make the lines look less rigid. If you have not
seen Johannes paint live you don't want to miss it!

When? May 17
What time? 1 to 3 PM Eastern
Where? Refer to the Livestream link you will get in a new page as soon as you register.
https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/833049657

mickisew
04-25-2014, 02:23 PM
Hi Johannes: I look forward to the painting demo and the Flower Webinar. It already seems like ages since we have been in class. Miss you!

Micki

Wetpaint0938
04-26-2014, 10:36 AM
This will be fun to do flowers a new path and love doing flowers. Im in!

roseC
04-26-2014, 11:59 PM
Thank you for your response, Johannes. I am looking forward to your classes...

Rita7
04-27-2014, 11:08 AM
I too am excited about this class can't wait...:)

chodi
04-27-2014, 10:49 PM
Hi Johannes, please could you tell us which medium will be used for the free class? A friend of mine would like to know more before she registers.

Johannes Instructor
04-28-2014, 09:57 AM
Hi Johannes, please could you tell us which medium will be used for the free class? A friend of mine would like to know more before she registers.
The important thing about my classes and demos is not the paint application, but the painting strategies which are applicable in all mediums. I have not decided 100% yet but it will probably be watercolor because of the time factor.

Johannes Instructor
04-28-2014, 10:00 AM
Essentials of Painting Flowers

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2014/135220-Flower_promo.jpg

Join Johannes Vloothuis and hundreds of other artists for a course that crosses all t’s and dots all i’s on how to paint flowers
in bouquet format, still life, in house portraits, and wild flowers. Johannes is well known for teaching the techniques on
“How the eye anatomically sees” as well as out of the ordinary painting secrets. Learn how to create exciting backgrounds,
correct edge manipulation, impressionist areas, and more. All these will benefit your floral paintings so you don’t just copy
photos. Demos in oils, watercolor and pastels will be given. Johannes is endorsed as an official instructor for FWMedia, the
publishers of Northlight books, and several art magazines. You do not have to attend these sessions live. If you miss a class
you will be able to download the recordings.

When? May 31 – June 21 (Four Saturdays)
What time? 1 – 3 PM EST
Where? Online
How much $29.99 Registration link pending

IMPORTANT:
If you do not get a video link right after you pay email us your receipt. Also for all customer service:
[email protected]

Rita7
04-28-2014, 04:09 PM
Hi Johannes,
Wondering if this will work with acrylics..that's the medium I use....thanks.

mickisew
04-29-2014, 02:43 PM
Hi Rita: The principles are applicable for all mediums as Jo stated in Post #23.

Micki

Hi Johannes,
Wondering if this will work with acrylics..that's the medium I use....thanks.

roseC
05-01-2014, 09:41 PM
Hi Johannes,
Would you tell me if your demo is going to be taped and replayed, like the Live Class? I have to watch the Live Class later on and would have to do the same for the demo, since I have a long standing commitment on Saturday's.

Thanks,
Roseann

Johannes Instructor
05-02-2014, 01:39 PM
Hi Johannes,
Would you tell me if your demo is going to be taped and replayed, like the Live Class? I have to watch the Live Class later on and would have to do the same for the demo, since I have a long standing commitment on Saturday's.

Thanks,
Roseann
Yes it will

roseC
05-03-2014, 04:24 PM
Yay!!! :clap:

Ytra
05-04-2014, 11:05 AM
I won a nice watercolour pencil and a palette on the Mijello Europe contest. It was the first time I showed my work, so I was very, very surprised.

So Johannes, I 'm very curious how you judge my painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2014/174676-Purple_Pansy.JPG

Johannes Instructor
05-09-2014, 09:00 AM
Hi Johannes,

Thanks,
Roseann
Yes all demos and classes get recorded.

Johannes Instructor
05-09-2014, 09:01 AM
I won a nice watercolour pencil and a palette on the Mijello Europe contest. It was the first time I showed my work, so I was very, very surprised.

So Johannes, I 'm very curious how you judge my painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2014/174676-Purple_Pansy.JPG

I think you did a real good job. The yellow spot is well located and the paint looks fresh.

Johannes Instructor
05-12-2014, 01:26 PM
Do you want to learn the techniques for painting impressionist flowers? Johannes
will teach you how to paint the way the eye anatomically sees. This will make your
future masterpieces very agreeable to the viewer. This painting will be demonstrated
in the upcoming course, "Essentials of Painting Flowers".
On May 17 in the free demo you will get a 10% discount code.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2014/135220-FlowerPastel.jpg

mmdm
05-17-2014, 02:51 PM
I've been trying for 1 3/4 hours to watch the demo and it just buffers and won't play. I have a high speed DSL connection and am directly wired, not wireless (although I did try the wireless laptop, too) but it just won't play. I'm not a happy camper, since I already signed up for the flower class and it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to watch it. I was really looking forward to it!

Johannes Instructor
05-17-2014, 05:01 PM
I've been trying for 1 3/4 hours to watch the demo and it just buffers and won't play. I have a high speed DSL connection and am directly wired, not wireless (although I did try the wireless laptop, too) but it just won't play. I'm not a happy camper, since I already signed up for the flower class and it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to watch it. I was really looking forward to it!

The recording is here:
https://new.livestream.com/accounts/5486320/events/2946968

mmdm
05-17-2014, 05:04 PM
The recording is here:
https://new.livestream.com/accounts/5486320/events/2946968

I can't get the recording to work either. It plays for 15 seconds then stops and says, "There is an error with this video."

mickisew
05-17-2014, 06:59 PM
Seeing your post, I went to the recording and have no difficulty - even clicked forward and backward.

Johannes does have a trouble-shooting section on his site:

http://improvemypaintings.com/troubleshooting.html

I can't get the recording to work either. It plays for 15 seconds then stops and says, "There is an error with this video."

mmdm
05-17-2014, 08:53 PM
Seeing your post, I went to the recording and have no difficulty - even clicked forward and backward.

Johannes does have a trouble-shooting section on his site:

http://improvemypaintings.com/troubleshooting.html

Thanks for checking. I did reboot and clear the cache. I even upgraded Firefox in case that might help. The wireless stuff doesn't apply since I wasn't using a wireless connection. I did try another recording by someone else and had no problem watching that one, just Jo's.

carol_lee
05-18-2014, 01:11 AM
had no problem re-watching the video... Noticed livestream recognized me and I was signed in... maybe you have to sign in??

mmdm
05-18-2014, 08:15 AM
had no problem re-watching the video... Noticed livestream recognized me and I was signed in... maybe you have to sign in??

I did sign in, and I could watch other videos. This one starts but stops at exactly 15 seconds every time. The exact same spot. I tried it on 2 different computers. I'm worried that I might not be able to watch any of the class videos, either. :(

Johannes Instructor
05-18-2014, 10:28 AM
I did sign in, and I could watch other videos. This one starts but stops at exactly 15 seconds every time. The exact same spot. I tried it on 2 different computers. I'm worried that I might not be able to watch any of the class videos, either. :(
Try google chrome.

Rosemarie
05-18-2014, 11:22 AM
Melissa, have you updated the Adobe Flash Player? I don't have any problen watching the saved video on livestream.

mmdm
05-18-2014, 09:55 PM
Melissa, have you updated the Adobe Flash Player? I don't have any problen watching the saved video on livestream.

Yes, I'm using the latest version of Flash available for my OS. I tried a couple more videos and didn't have trouble with them, either. Just this one. I'll try Chrome tomorrow but since that will be using the same Flash, I doubt it will do any good. Maybe, though! :crossfingers:

mmdm
05-19-2014, 09:24 AM
Try google chrome.

Watching in Chromium now! So far so good! :clap:

mmdm
05-19-2014, 10:28 AM
I finally got it to play in Chromium but then midway through watching it I got the message, "Content has been removed." :(

Tonalist
05-19-2014, 06:42 PM
I got an email from jo saying he was going to leave it up until
May 26th.. Maybe just try going back in to livestream..
Now that you've got it playing.

woody

mmdm
05-19-2014, 10:24 PM
I got an email from jo saying he was going to leave it up until
May 26th.. Maybe just try going back in to livestream..
Now that you've got it playing.

woody

Yes, looks like it was just moved. It just happened to be moved while I was in the middle of watching it, LOL. I finally did get to see it all later today. It was great! I hope that's all the kinks worked out for me and the actual class will go smoothly, now. :)

Johannes Instructor
05-20-2014, 08:03 PM
I intend to use some of your flower paintings as material in my classes. I am asking those who have done flower paintings in the past to submit them to this thread. This only applies to the ones who sign up for the Essentials of Painting Flower course.

Johannes Instructor
05-20-2014, 10:42 PM
This was the painting done On May 17. You can watch the free recording here:
https://new.livestream.com/accounts/5486320/events/2946968/images/51260302
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2014/135220-RockportStreet4.jpg

roseC
05-25-2014, 06:58 PM
Hi Johannes,
Is there a place to ask general questions? You mentioned a few things on your demo last Saturday that I would like clarification on.

Thanks,
Roseann

Johannes Instructor
05-25-2014, 08:55 PM
Hi Johannes,
Is there a place to ask general questions? You mentioned a few things on your demo last Saturday that I would like clarification on.

Thanks,
Roseann
Right here is the place to ask.

sherrysherman
05-26-2014, 12:36 PM
Yes, I'm using the latest version of Flash available for my OS. I tried a couple more videos and didn't have trouble with them, either. Just this one. I'll try Chrome tomorrow but since that will be using the same Flash, I doubt it will do any good. Maybe, though! :crossfingers:

Not saying this is your issue, BUT last year at some point I suddenly had trouble watching the live videos. Someone asked, "Have you upgraded Flash?" and I too could say i had 'the latest version of Flash available for my OS." Ultimately, I wound up getting a newer OS version, downloaded the later version of my browser(s), downloaded Flash for those, and all goes well. :thumbsup:

(Unfortunately, now I can't print anything - there is no printer driver available for my printer for this version of my OS. Really? Really?!?) :(

If Chrome works for you, great!

Tonalist
05-27-2014, 10:32 AM
(Unfortunately, now I can't print anything - there is no printer driver available for my printer for this version of my OS. Really? Really?!?) :(

Sherry.. Had exactly the same problem with my printer.. New computer
and no drivers for my printer (Hewlett Packard PhotoSmart) Searching the internet for drivers
(and NOT finding any) I ran across a forum where somebody just said he
had just told his computer he had a different printer (gave the model number) and it worked.

I changed mine to the same model he suggested.. mine has worked great ever since..
So maybe you can just tell your computer you're using a different printer..
you may have to search for a compatible printer (Same manufacturer)

woody

Rosemarie
05-27-2014, 02:24 PM
Sherry - did update yo Mavericks? I still use Snow Leopard and it works fine.

mmdm
05-27-2014, 03:00 PM
Not saying this is your issue, BUT last year at some point I suddenly had trouble watching the live videos. Someone asked, "Have you upgraded Flash?" and I too could say i had 'the latest version of Flash available for my OS." Ultimately, I wound up getting a newer OS version, downloaded the later version of my browser(s), downloaded Flash for those, and all goes well. :thumbsup:

If Chrome works for you, great!

Oh no! Hope you can get an updated printer driver, soon. I use a rolling release OS so I always have the latest version. I'm still not having trouble with any other videos, just that particular one. I don't like Chrome but I can tolerate it just for watching the class videos. I just hope it works for all of them.

roseC
05-27-2014, 03:59 PM
Right here is the place to ask.
Jo,
You were kind enough to answer my question on the FB forum.

Thanks and I am so looking forward to the upcoming class.

Roseann

mmdm
05-29-2014, 04:10 PM
Just want to verify that the first class will be a gotomeeting webinar? If so, I won't bother to rearrange my schedule to be home for it, since I can't use gotomeeting. I'll wait for the recording. But...if it uses livestream I want to try to be here to see it live.

flowerartwater
05-29-2014, 04:31 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2014/189424-Soft_Touch_Red_Roses_-_Framed_30pc.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2014/189424-Art_Deco_Tulips_30pc.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2014/189424-Happy_Flowers-XXII_framed_25pc.jpg I have some floral paintings that I have sold or am listing on eBay:

eduj
05-29-2014, 09:04 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2014/160480-Hardin.J.1.A_Bunch_of_Tulips2.jpg
This watercolor won second place in the Holland MI Tulip Time Festival earlier this month. Joh, please use in your class and critique. Thanks!

eduj
05-29-2014, 09:07 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2014/160480-Jane_Maynolias.jpg

Watercolor; Jane Magnolias just for fun! Jude

eduj
05-29-2014, 09:14 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2014/160480-Fall_Bouquet.jpg
Fall Bouquet, Watercolor.

eduj
05-29-2014, 09:18 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2014/160480-Sunflowers_A.jpg
Sunflowers; Watercolor

Johannes Instructor
05-29-2014, 09:52 PM
Just want to verify that the first class will be a gotomeeting webinar? If so, I won't bother to rearrange my schedule to be home for it, since I can't use gotomeeting. I'll wait for the recording. But...if it uses livestream I want to try to be here to see it live.
The first class will be a powerpoint lecture. It will be recorded. What I don't understand is why you cannot use go to meeting. It is compatible with all systems. If it does not run on the current browser then install Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. Then try each one.

mmdm
05-30-2014, 09:54 AM
The first class will be a powerpoint lecture. It will be recorded. What I don't understand is why you cannot use go to meeting. It is compatible with all systems. If it does not run on the current browser then install Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. Then try each one.

No, it isn't compatible with all systems, it's compatible with Windows and Mac. There are other operating systems. I have used Linux for many years and Gotomeeting doesn't have a Linux client. I can watch the recording but can't log in live. I thought the class was going to use Livestream entirely when I signed up, but I can watch this class recorded. Just glad it's the only one to use gotomeeting so I won't have to miss the rest live. I'm really looking forward to starting!

Johannes Instructor
05-30-2014, 11:29 AM
No, it isn't compatible with all systems, it's compatible with Windows and Mac. There are other operating systems. I have used Linux for many years and Gotomeeting doesn't have a Linux client. I can watch the recording but can't log in live. I thought the class was going to use Livestream entirely when I signed up, but I can watch this class recorded. Just glad it's the only one to use gotomeeting so I won't have to miss the rest live. I'm really looking forward to starting!
Ok I will make sure you get the recording soon. Please email Sunday morning.

flowerartwater
05-30-2014, 12:53 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2014/189424-daffodilsforcard.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2014/189424-JoyofFlowers-Ibroch.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2014/189424-JoyofFlowers-IIbroch.jpg A few more of my "impressionistic" florals. Hope these are of help. Nancy Pink

mmdm
05-30-2014, 04:54 PM
Ok I will make sure you get the recording soon. Please email Sunday morning.

OK, I'll do that. Thanks!

Monica1
05-30-2014, 07:49 PM
Hi,
I signed up for the flower painting....This saturday I have to go a child birthday to go, so I don't know if I'll be able to be online...But I will watch the recording.

Monica1
05-30-2014, 11:07 PM
I forgot to add a painting. This was a painting I did two years ago, and tonight I tried to change some mistakes, painting over it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2014/975849-mbpainting2.jpg

Gopaint
05-30-2014, 11:35 PM
Flowers for critique please

Gopaint
05-30-2014, 11:40 PM
Flowers for critique please

bobbiisme
05-31-2014, 12:43 AM
This is "Gardenia for Elaine." It is colored pencil on micaceous iron oxide on canvas.

Mary54
05-31-2014, 06:47 AM
Roses and Azaleas - Oil painting

Sienna black
05-31-2014, 08:31 AM
A little 8 x 8" painting in Acrylics with a palette knife.

Sienna black
05-31-2014, 08:35 AM
A mixed media semi abstract painting.

sylvia54321
05-31-2014, 09:03 AM
aparently i have to post twice, so heres number one!
Hi Guys

Phyllis

sylvia54321
05-31-2014, 09:04 AM
And again looking forward to the instruction course from Johanne

sylvia54321
05-31-2014, 09:06 AM
Here is my first offering, I hope you love it!!

Phyllishttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2014/1579315-daffodils.jpg

NorthCarolinaStudent
05-31-2014, 09:23 AM
I sold this last year. Oil on wrap around canvas.

I believe it was 18"x30" "Pink Rose". Rip it apart and help me get better. -- Elisabeth Cline
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2014/774972-trythisnow.jpg

Gopaint
05-31-2014, 09:35 AM
Flower for critique

NorthCarolinaStudent
05-31-2014, 10:23 AM
Here's what I'm working on now. Its not done yet. "Bridal Bouquet I" 18"30" Oil. It's a consignment, so it has to be pretty close to the photograph. I'm having a lot of trouble with the red rose (obviously). Any help would be so welcome.

Elisabeth Cline

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2014/774972-smjenny_483x640.jpg

KatyaFox
05-31-2014, 04:22 PM
Lily Pond by KFox, Oil on canvas board 16x20". Comments welcome!

jeanmcc
05-31-2014, 05:10 PM
I'm not sure how to post to this forum. I will see if this works. I want to know where you go to find out what the homework is.

CindyStewart
05-31-2014, 05:57 PM
This is my first pastel flower painting. Am submitting for critique. Thanks!!! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2014/1875271-image.jpg

CindyStewart
05-31-2014, 06:01 PM
Phyllis...I ran I to same problem! Frustrated by this requirement...but oh well...post what ya gotta post...haha!!!

sherrysherman
06-01-2014, 12:59 AM
Sherry.. Had exactly the same problem with my printer.. New computer
and no drivers for my printer (Hewlett Packard PhotoSmart) Searching the internet for drivers
(and NOT finding any) I ran across a forum where somebody just said he
had just told his computer he had a different printer (gave the model number) and it worked.

I changed mine to the same model he suggested.. mine has worked great ever since..
So maybe you can just tell your computer you're using a different printer..
you may have to search for a compatible printer (Same manufacturer)

woody

Whoa, Woody - that sounds strange, and yet --who knows? So he downloaded a driver for a different printer model? How did he know what model to choose, other than same manufacturer (in my case, HP)?

sherrysherman
06-01-2014, 01:01 AM
Sherry - did update yo Mavericks? I still use Snow Leopard and it works fine.

Nope, not that far. Just the next one up - I can't keep the cats straight. It's 10.6.8. Just a bit too new for my older - but still working fine - printer. HP said, basically, just get a new printer, yours is too old. Thanks, HP. So am I.

sylvia54321
06-01-2014, 01:57 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2014/1579315-posies.jpg
I think this painting "Posies" has the soft edges that you ask for.?

Rosemarie
06-01-2014, 02:06 AM
Nope, not that far. Just the next one up - I can't keep the cats straight. It's 10.6.8. Just a bit too new for my older - but still working fine - printer. HP said, basically, just get a new printer, yours is too old. Thanks, HP. So am I.
MAcOs 10.68 is Snow Leopard. Great system version. I have the newer too but there isn't any need to go higher IMHO.

Tonalist
06-01-2014, 10:53 AM
Whoa, Woody - that sounds strange, and yet --who knows? So he downloaded a driver for a different printer model? How did he know what model to choose, other than same manufacturer (in my case, HP)?

Hey Sherry.. I don't know how he figured it out.. Maybe just hit and miss.
In my case.. I have a HP Photosmart 1115, On the forum I read, (It was not addressed to me personally).. He had just said to tell your computer, your printer was a HP Photosmart 8200 series.. I did and it has worked ever since.
I don't recall ever downloading a driver... OH.. now that I think about it.. this was a new laptop so I was probably trying to Install the printer using the original disk of drivers.. I think at that time I told it I had an 8200
good luck

woody

NorthCarolinaStudent
06-01-2014, 12:38 PM
Jo, while you were presenting the first class, I was working on my bridal bouquet painting. You are such a good teacher. I'll post the final painting later today.

jmcedeno
06-01-2014, 03:02 PM
Jo, these are two pastel paintings of flowers I did a long time ago, obviously you can see the absence of all the commandments you taught to us.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2014/159973-Sun_Flowers_in_Crystal_Vase002.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2014/159973-Tulips-IMG_0006.jpg

KatyaFox
06-01-2014, 11:39 PM
I tried a painting of lilacs after Jo's class. "Lilac Reflections", oil 8x10" by KFox

Margmora
06-02-2014, 07:47 PM
This is my thumbnail for the homework. I don't know if the thumbnail actually got attached. From what I see, I do not know how to paint flowers or leaves. But I do like the background. We will see what happens this week.

Margmora
06-02-2014, 08:06 PM
Here is a rose I worked on 2 summers ago in watercolor. I will try this again and apply the techniques noted on Saturday last.

mmdm
06-03-2014, 01:26 PM
I'm halfway through watching the video. Had to take a lunch break. :) The thing Jo said about photos relying on size instead of soft edges for depth of field made me think of that photo trick where you get someone to stand behind you on a hill and hold out your hand and it looks like a tiny person is standing in your hand. Your eyes are fooled by the photograph because of the lack of real depth, right? http://margavp.wordpress.com/tag/photographic-illusions/

Moensja
06-04-2014, 01:30 PM
Hello Jo,

Done with pastels.

Kind Regards Enny.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2014/972713-DSC_0004bresb.jpg

NorthCarolinaStudent
06-04-2014, 04:00 PM
'Bridal Bouquet I" 18"x24" Oil

(almost done-really) -- Elisabeth Cline
(the green near the bottom didn't photograph well.)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2014/774972-smjenny642014.jpg

Talley
06-07-2014, 08:52 AM
I know I'm a week late but I was thinking of registering today and catching up this week. But I wanted to know if the recording of last Saturday's class is available now before registering.

Does anyone know? Thanks.

And lovely seeing everyone's work.

chickadeedee
06-07-2014, 10:39 AM
Jo did post the recording so you could get the class that you missed.

sherrysherman
06-07-2014, 03:49 PM
Artists somewhat new to pastels tend to ask "which brand? what surface?" This is a nice video showing that there is no ONE "best" brand of either, but that different brands work quite differently on different surfaces. Try out different brands, different surfaces.

This is by artist Charlotte Herczfeld -
http://youtu.be/VQgXuMI1eKY

SalzburgBJ
06-07-2014, 04:50 PM
Thank you Jo, for mentioning Qiang Huang to us. :clap:
Just FYI, if anyone is interested, Qiang Huang (he says it's pronounced 'Chong Wong') has a blog in which he posts his paintings and works in progress. You can sign up for his updates and their progress here:

http://qiang-huang.blogspot.co.at/

I want to learn all I can about him. Thanks again, Jo -- also for tonight's class.
Beth in Salzburg

SalzburgBJ
06-07-2014, 04:55 PM
Artists somewhat new to pastels tend to ask "which brand? what surface?" This is a nice video showing that there is no ONE "best" brand of either, but that different brands work quite differently on different surfaces. Try out different brands, different surfaces.

This is by artist Charlotte Herczfeld -
http://youtu.be/VQgXuMI1eKY
Thank you, Sherry. There are so many choices out there and not all brands are available everywhere, so it's nice to get an overview of comparisons. I've seen another, similar video made by a manufacturer of pastel papers. I'll see if I bookmarked it. Will share if I did. :-)

sherrysherman
06-07-2014, 05:57 PM
Thank you, Sherry. There are so many choices out there and not all brands are available everywhere, so it's nice to get an overview of comparisons. I've seen another, similar video made by a manufacturer of pastel papers. I'll see if I bookmarked it. Will share if I did. :-)

Yes, there are more and more brands of each (pastels and surfaces) - it would be impossible to try all the permutations and combinations! The main choice is which sticks to buy - those will last quite a while. Rembrandts are good and tend to be more affordable than the supersoft. Some soft ones are nice to have too. Just remember, it's better to have more sticks in a half-stick size than fewer sticks in whole-stick size.

Then try them on a few different surfaces. Try them out with smaller sizes - I still don't do any full sheet paintings. A lot of my homework assignments have been on quarter sheets or smaller. When you find one you like stick with it for a while to develop comfort with it.

painter 55
06-07-2014, 08:41 PM
I am enjoying the classes but I cannot get into the live typed converation during class. What password do I use for that? I am wondering what Jo thinks of Daniel Greene's portraits.

sherrysherman
06-07-2014, 10:09 PM
Jo, can you please post the reference photo for today's class? (the pastel you did) I'd like to give it a go.

Also, we are all anxiously awaiting the photo for this week's homework. Just so you know. :wave:

Rosemarie
06-08-2014, 01:58 AM
Jo, can you please post the reference photo for today's class? (the pastel you did) I'd like to give it a go.

Also, we are all anxiously awaiting the photo for this week's homework. Just so you know. :wave:

Sherry, it is slide 37 in the pdf we got.:cat:

sylvia54321
06-08-2014, 09:12 AM
what PDF???

Rosemarie
06-08-2014, 09:38 AM
what PDF???

The one you can download from on the class home page at improvemypaintings.com. You should have gotten several mails with the link to this page. It has also the video link to livestream and the download link for videos.

sylvia54321
06-08-2014, 10:08 AM
Thanks I will take a look. :-)

sherrysherman
06-08-2014, 03:01 PM
Thanks, Rosemarie - lol, I had not downloaded the pdf - or even bookmarked the page yet! Usually it's the FIRST think I do. Thanks for reminding me of this VERY IMPORTANT step. :thumbsup:

Rita7
06-08-2014, 07:51 PM
I saw no PDF on the site. Where is the class homepage..didn't see it. thanks

Rosemarie
06-09-2014, 12:45 AM
Rita - if you got email from Johannes about where to go for the class you got a link to the access page for the class. There is a link also for downloading the PDF on that access page.

roseC
06-10-2014, 11:27 AM
Hi Everyone,
Am I missing the download from Saturday's class. I wanted to watch it, but I cant' find it?

Thanks,
Roseann

mmdm
06-10-2014, 04:03 PM
Hi Everyone,
Am I missing the download from Saturday's class. I wanted to watch it, but I cant' find it?

Thanks,
Roseann

The download for lesson 2 hasn't been provided yet, as far as I can tell.

Margmora
06-10-2014, 06:08 PM
Where is everyone posting their homework? Help, help.

mmdm
06-10-2014, 06:17 PM
Where is everyone posting their homework? Help, help.

Here - http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1352186

roseC
06-10-2014, 07:28 PM
thank you....

SalzburgBJ
06-13-2014, 04:11 AM
Of general interest:

A colleague pointed out the photographer Katinka Matson to me this morning. Her photos of flowers are amazing.
http://edge.org/conversation/tulip-2014

"Imagine a painter who could, like Vermeer, capture the quality of light that a camera can, but with the color of paints. . . . She is at the forefront of a new wave in photography.". —Kevin Kelly, Executive Editor, Wired

"As the moving lens slides along the surface of one of Matson's tulips, it is able to view the flower from all sides; her floral pictures are so intense that looking at them, you almost get the feeling that you are able to peer around the flowers themselves." —The New York Times Magazine

KATINKA MATSON is Edge cofounder and resident artist.

katinkamatson.com

sylvia54321
06-15-2014, 06:13 AM
I had to leave early from yesterdays class, cannot wait to see what I missed soon as Jo has it ready for downloading. Did we have homework and is it posted anywhere yet???
I am loving this class!
thank you Jo
Phyllis

Rosemarie
06-15-2014, 07:38 AM
Sylvia, you can go back to the livestream page and watch the videos, 3 from yesterday.

mmdm
06-15-2014, 08:51 AM
I had to leave early from yesterdays class, cannot wait to see what I missed soon as Jo has it ready for downloading. Did we have homework and is it posted anywhere yet???
I am loving this class!
thank you Jo
Phyllis

Wasn't it great? He didn't mention what the homework is in the video and it doesn't look like it's uploaded to the homework thread yet.

sylvia54321
06-15-2014, 09:33 PM
I really like this course so far and the critiques arehelpful. Is it possible that jon will have time to critique the paintings here?
I uploaded a couple and would like his opinion?

And thanks for your feed back on the student homework I found the downloads etc.

Phyllis

jeanetteg
06-18-2014, 03:56 AM
Hi, I missed the last two classes has Jo posted the downloads for them yet? I hope I can make it to the last class. Is there any homework?

Rosemarie
06-18-2014, 07:11 AM
Yes, he has. Go to the access page you have got a link for from Johannes. Information is there.

Homework you'll find in the homework thread.

jeanetteg
06-18-2014, 12:28 PM
I checked the access page and there is no download for class 3. not sure what I'm doing wrong. I had all ready downloaded classes 1 & 2. Just need 3

Rosemarie
06-18-2014, 01:47 PM
There are download for the 2 first classes. The last can you watch on Livestream if you click on the video link, until we can download class 3.

jeanetteg
06-18-2014, 02:59 PM
will try thanks

Moensja
06-23-2014, 01:31 PM
Sorry, post this one in the wrong place, you may delete it.
Enny.

chodi
06-30-2014, 11:03 AM
Hi, Johannes!
Can you tell us when the June 21st download of the Essentials of Painting Flowers course will be available? The streaming on Livestream is not there anymore. Thank you so much for the great class!

mickisew
06-30-2014, 04:44 PM
Johannes sent an email for the last class. If you did not bookmark the Student Page, email Jo.

Hi, Johannes!
Can you tell us when the June 21st download of the Essentials of Painting Flowers course will be available? The streaming on Livestream is not there anymore. Thank you so much for the great class!

chodi
06-30-2014, 09:59 PM
Thank you mickisew! I just found it.

Rosemarie
07-01-2014, 01:15 AM
Thanks Micki, I haven't got any email about the last class download. Doesn't matter I know where to find the download.

Tonalist
07-01-2014, 12:27 PM
:thumbsup: What Rosemarie said!

woody