PDA

View Full Version : how is this

chavali
06-28-2001, 10:41 AM
this is my daughters portriat. i am new to painting. i did it with oils on canvas pad. your advice is most welcome.

paintfool
06-28-2001, 11:35 AM
HI Chavali. Welcome to WC! We have an entire forum here devoted to portaiture. I am moving your lovely daughter there!
Cheryl

sandge
06-29-2001, 08:49 AM
Hi Chavali

Wow! This is a really charming portrait. I love her expression. I would be interested to hear how you went about this. Did you do any sketching/work from photos or how did you set about it?

A couple of things I would suggest would be to think about giving the portrait more space on your canvas. Having the head fill the space gives a rather harsh, intense effect because there is nowhere else to go. Try to think about making the shapes where the head *isn't* contribute to the portrait in an interesting way.

The other thing would be to please use another surface because the texture of that canvas pad is very distracting.

Great job! :D

chavali
06-29-2001, 09:21 AM
Dear Sandrafletcher,

thanks a lot for advice. next time i will work on canvas or panel. i took the help of a photograph taken by my husband for initial placement of the features and then live model is in front of me most of the time. i cannot force her to sit a long time, but with lady luck on my side i got the mischivous look. the size is 12*16 inches.

thanks again for your suggestion about size of the head.

chavali