PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Advice! WIP

chunbumpark
04-01-2014, 02:42 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2014/1311430-The_Light_of_Truth_3_-_small.JPG

The Light of Truth by Chunbum Park

WIP

I need lots of advices. I have deadline until April 6. Friends, talk to me and enlighten me.
Here are my concerns:
1) The hand looks disconnected from the face because of different tones. Should I make the hand darker? Or would it be better to leave it alone and create transition from dark to light by adding shadow to lower arm?
2) Also at the upper left corner I want to add either black or white diagonal beam of light similar to Jay DeFeo's The Rose. Black or white?
3) Finally, should I take easy way or hard way by drawing right hand around the lower left part of the painting?
Thank you very much!

ChristyQ
04-01-2014, 04:55 AM
I'll go through with my thoughts for each question one by one.

1) The hand looks dark and the face is almost to light to see, it might be the light reflecting off the canvas making the face hard to see. As it looks now with this picture, the shadows on the hand and arm look fine, if anything I would add a little darkness under the chin so the face stands out more.

2) I like the idea of a white beam, it sounds neat.

3) Personally I think if you add the arm to the lower left side it would look funny with the colors you have going on there and create to much of a divide.

I would like to add that I really like that texture you have going on at the top of the canvas.

chunbumpark
04-01-2014, 04:04 PM
Thank you for the feedback! Gotta keep working!

Ishka Baha
04-01-2014, 04:56 PM
Have had another look at this and think that if you darken the background just a tiny bit on the right hand side the figure and face will stand out more. Not sure if this helps..........
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2014/1394506-chumu.jpg

chunbumpark
04-01-2014, 09:02 PM
Thank you for the advice! I will try that!

PiKoonMo
04-01-2014, 09:26 PM
in my honest opionion, the hand, in particular the thumb seem "odd" . that and whole arm seem to be a. to much a focal point. at first glance the arm screams out while the face is buried. b. the arm seems to be less realized than than the rest of the image. the rest of the image is "working" the arm seems to be almost an afterthought or executed in a different frame of mind or actual sitting than the rest of the work. they dont quite work together.

PiKoonMo
04-01-2014, 09:32 PM
the arm does really bother me, because what you have achieved in the face is stunning! it brings to mind williem de kooning. he was an incredible draughtsman, but struggled with hands. it was more a mental thing than an ability to paint it "right". In your case i think the hand almost is cartoonish and trying too hard, while the face is splendid and very akin to your favorite artist. they just arent on the same wave. maybe this intentional as a visual means to lead the viewer through the work. but if not intentional i would say keep at it

chunbumpark
04-03-2014, 02:53 AM
Sir you most certainly have keen eye. Yes, it's true. I did not spend much time on the arm as much as the face.

I messed up the lower left part of the face a little bit, so it took time to correct it. I am on the right path I think. I have 3 more days until deadline.

I will try to work more on the arm and the lower left area as well. Thank you for your input!

Spottters
04-03-2014, 09:06 AM
I found it very hard to see the image, if you intend this aspect of the painting to be a dominant feature, I suggest working to further define it. IMHO

jimwhalen
04-03-2014, 06:45 PM
I found it very hard to see the image, if you intend this aspect of the painting to be a dominant feature, I suggest working to further define it. IMHO

Ditto.

PiKoonMo
04-03-2014, 07:11 PM
indeed the image is hard to see if you are looking for a traditional image. i also thought the same thing at first. but it is there. and its all in the details as fine and subverted as they may be. what and how the image is seen should not be a template view but one that best articulates. that being said, not sure what the value of having the bright colors at the bottom left bring to the image. if it were my image i would say the bright colors serve to remind the viewer they are looking at a two dimensional surface while the underlying image seems to suggest a very solid three dimensional likeness. i think i may be missing the mark though. just my two cents. mostly i hope to see you achieve in the overall image what you aptly do in certain passages. the piece has be the sum of its parts to really shine. if there is an irregularity between parts it will shine through for all to see.