PDA

View Full Version : This rhinoserous...

PeriSoft
03-26-2014, 05:57 PM
...is proving to be more of a commitment than I had envisioned! :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Mar-2014/1697450-rhinoserous.JPG

LavenderFrost
03-27-2014, 11:04 AM
That happens sometimes. That nose is making me think more hippo than rhino, but we'll see how it goes.

b'anna
03-30-2014, 01:28 PM
You're doing a great job so far! I used to do Colored pencil portraits but talk about time , so I know what you mean.
Barb

PeriSoft
04-01-2014, 08:15 AM
It's vastly better now, but I didn't bring my tablet to work and it won't wake on LAN, so can't post an update. I kinda cheated a bit - I cut-and-pasted a few sections of shading to get a baseline in, and have been going over that to do the 'real' finish stuff. And I recorded a brush stroke to use for grass (really several different ones). I kinda feel bad, but on the other hand that kind of automation doesn't affect the output, just the time taken to get there. And beyond that, in real life it'd be OK to use a funky hairy brush to get a texture that works for grass or hair, so why do I feel guilty doing the same thing digitally?

Because of a deep-seated and irrational inferiority complex, that's why! :D But still. ;)

The really cool thing about this is that I drew it because I thought my son would get a kick out of it - we were joking about 'rhinoseroses' - and the other day he drew me his own version of it! <3 Gotta love five-year-olds...

b'anna
04-01-2014, 09:43 AM
Guilt, Cheating??
I have had this same conversation so many times with myself! BUT my opinion , for what it's worth, is it is the final outcome and painting that matters, not how you got there. getting there is the fun part. It still takes an artists brain to concieve the project in the first place.
But being from a traditional art back ground, I still have to remind myself that it is OK to use ALL the tools we have at hand!