PDA

View Full Version : Florida Keys sunlight

sword
03-26-2014, 05:44 PM
I am trying to get the very bright light and water reflections. Source: my sketches from when I lived there. Gimp_2.8.10 layering and selective blurring with many 'progress sheets' to aid revisions, what I like best about digital drawing.

Elainepsq
03-26-2014, 06:51 PM
Nice job, I like the cool shadows of the palm trees, the reflection of the palm tree in the surf is very nice. I am thinking you need a few dark accents somewhere though.

LavenderFrost
03-27-2014, 11:02 AM
Very bright, almost need sunglasses to look at it! I agree with Elaine's suggestion though.

sword
03-27-2014, 09:54 PM
Thanks Elaine and Michelle. I will try adding darks. The great thing about digital is that you can add or adjust on a separate layer.

sword
03-28-2014, 03:30 PM
You were right. It improves a lot with darks added. Thanks.

LavenderFrost
03-29-2014, 11:21 AM
Yep, looks better.

Yikes_Scoobie
03-29-2014, 12:36 PM
I've never been to Florida but this painting would make me want to go visit there :) My only critic for it is that I'd change the hue of the shadows on the dry sand to harmonise more with the beach's colour, but this is only to my taste I guess. It's a soft and pleasant rendering which I like a lot

dennylives1
03-29-2014, 01:38 PM
can you adjust the contrast and brightness... try those. subject and layout good.

sword
03-29-2014, 06:50 PM
...My only critic for it is that I'd change the hue of the shadows on the dry sand to harmonise more with the beach's colour...

Thanks and I'm pleased that you liked it. The beach sand is very tricky for me to get right. High tide covers it all and at low tide, about what is shown, is the sun dried part at the higher sand level and the water is at the lower left with a band of recently wet sand caused by small waves breaking. This damp area looks cooler and reflects more of the sky so that is a challenge to get just right. I will try to see if adjusting the tones improves it. Thanks for the suggestion.

sword
03-29-2014, 06:58 PM
can you adjust the contrast and brightness... try those. subject and layout good.
Thanks. Everything is on separate layers so I can adjust them almost infinitely. I made the original with a best compromise to mainly show the very bright light but I was never satisfied with the overall warmth that was shown. I will try warming up the sand and increasing the contrast of the layers. Thanks for the feedback.

b'anna
03-30-2014, 11:42 AM
You handled the sun on the beach wonderfully and the added darks are just what was need. Great job!
Barb