PDA

View Full Version : Vermeer

AllisonR
03-24-2014, 03:00 PM
My all time favorite is The Milkmaid. Do I even dare try? I would love to try painting this, it is such a rich atmosphere and so powerful. However, it's a copy everyone does. (Girl with Pearl Earring - not even going there). Also, I like to do master copies at the same size as the original, but this one is so small. It's only 41 x 45 cm - which Vermeer paints wonderfully, but I am afraid if I try that it will only be stiff and uptight. So I may have to cheat and paint it bigger.

Or maybe I should tackle something simpler - Lady with Her Maidservant Holding a Letter. This is a simpler scene and a larger painting 90x78cm. But then it doesn't have that atmosphere.

Maybe Young Woman with a Water Pitcher - has the magical atmosphere, that beautiful cloth… but also a small size.

So many choices; I may never decide.

ianos dan
03-25-2014, 05:28 AM
Hi Allison!
Good idea ,nice to hear that you are going to do a Vermeer ,it's an incredible artist ,the way he renders form and nature of different material ,is truly remarkable.
l will suggest to try paint "Young Woman with a water pitcher'' ,it was not so much copied ,so it will be a delight for me to see it painted .
l also suggest to paint the actual size ,it will help you go "inside" his technique and vision ,he was a painter of small pictures ,so take it as it is ,if you will paint larger than the actual size ,the brush strokes will not show like in the real one.
Good luck !

Nathalie Chavieve
03-31-2014, 02:19 PM
Interesting idea, Alison ! I agree, "The Milkmaid" is very beautiful paintings and it worth of try it. In the other hand there is so many othe his works which are very beautiful too . I think you could try "Woman Holding a Balance" it has similarity with "The Milkmaid", or as Ianos Dan suggested "Young Woman with a water pitcher".
Yes, those paintings quite small in size, but I agree with Ianos Dan - it is better to do an actual size or a little bit bigger, but not to much...

budigart
04-13-2014, 10:34 AM
I did two paintings of The Milkmaid, both close to actual size. I was quite surprised to discover that although it looks like a simple painting, it became very challenging. Mostly, the challenge was to do justice to the wicker basket hanging in the upper left corner, and to the light patterns on the wall.

Here is a link to a site dedicated to Vermeer where you can learn much about his work, and where you can see all of his paintings.

http://www.essentialvermeer.com/

ragman100
04-15-2014, 11:20 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Apr-2014/976255-EJMart_024.JPG Allison:

Don't dither just do it!! I'm looking at my copy of the Milmaid I have hanging in my studio. It's much larger than the original but it is satisfying to enjoy the result.