PDA

View Full Version : Group Hug

jimwhalen
03-24-2014, 10:25 AM
I painted this in one spontaneous sitting and that's unusual for me, I'm usually a slow and deliberative painter. I have mixed feelings about it and therefore, your thoughts and feelings about it would be appreciated.

Acrylic on 11"x14" canvas

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2014/1121432-1-P1040243.JPG

abstractca
03-24-2014, 03:53 PM
from your title I instantly saw the group hug very powerful and strong

ChristyQ
03-24-2014, 04:50 PM
I saw the group hug from the title too. If it wasn't in the title I probably wouldn't have seen it. That's the beautiful part about abstracts for me, I see all sorts of things. Title aside, I see fruit walking down the red carpet, which is awesome lol.. I'm strange.

gallery318
03-24-2014, 05:18 PM
Like leaves through a kaleidoscope. I agree with ChristyQ, in that we all can engage with abstract art and come up with all kinds of different responses. I can see how the Group Hug title came about too. :)

davefriend
03-24-2014, 06:31 PM
Very strong contrasts. The colors other than the background are warm earth tones which makes this inviting and welcoming. There are strong bold shapes in this, that can find several directions of interpretation by different viewers. Jim, you seem to be on a roll! Bravo :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ishka Baha
03-25-2014, 05:22 AM
Jim, to me this is simplicity at its best. It's funny my eyes were immediately drawn to this painting on your wall when you sent the photos. The colours are strong and the composition beautifully mastered. It's got the x-factor for me.

jimwhalen
03-25-2014, 10:33 AM
Thanks to each of you for your thoughts. Sometimes I do something so different for me that I need outside affirmation and you have provided that.

Nikki, Funny you noticed that it was in my show on Saturday, I had just painted it hours earlier and hung it while the paint was still tacky...no time for reflection or changes...and it went unnoticed...so again I am thankful for the affirmation.