PDA

View Full Version : Backpacker Beach Bum

maxattack
03-22-2014, 09:08 AM
Hi all,

this one was spotted around 8am, grooving along outside one of the largest pagodas in town...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2014/1022832-Backpacker_Beach_Bum.JPG

the sun had just risen over the building line
and rendered her thin cotton Indian print dress 100% transparent...

cheers,

Max

birdhs
03-22-2014, 10:05 AM
creating something like this is amazing

the way you shown the headphones in this 'style' is a touch of genius
and the transparency is captured by the colorless form hinted by a few light strokes

braverita!

tanxfersharinwidus

greggo

Spottters
03-22-2014, 01:04 PM
Another wonderful piece.....you have such a great way of creating movement and depth, simply

laf.art
03-22-2014, 03:58 PM
love it love it and of course the story - which comes first?

maxattack
03-23-2014, 06:03 AM
Thanks for the great comments,

laf.art, the process is simultaneous, there is the image, glimpsed at random, which at the same time, charts the story...she was walking past a temple at around 8am...
Monks and lay-people and general public were entering and leaving the pagoda. I just happened to be going past at the exact time the sun shone into the street, a couple of minutes either way and the effect wouldn't have occurred.
The same for all these pieces, that random drive-by factor is the key element, the spontaneous one-off sheer chance...

Max

laf.art
03-23-2014, 08:18 PM
So instead of thought bubbles outside your head you have bubble people on the inside

davefriend
03-23-2014, 11:14 PM
I love your work max! Do you do compose your drawings on the fly or do you work them out, like sketches, and then transfer them?

They all have such charm. I would love to see this series in an art show. They are great! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

maxattack
03-24-2014, 12:33 PM
Thanks Dave, these were sketched straight onto paper from photos and memories of previous versions, but were then subject to changes while being worked up...

the images themselves are old now, all spotted 7-13 years ago.
the first series were oil paintings titled 'People in the Neighbourhood'.

These will be the third arm (oil, watercolour, plastic adhesive) of an exhibition, I'm looking forward to seeing the series up myself...

Cheers,

max

jimwhalen
03-24-2014, 01:23 PM
You make these so fluid and spontaneous looking....but of course there is much preplanning that must go into these wonderful figures.