PDA

View Full Version : Six Senneliers or even NuPastels

bgordo3
03-21-2014, 02:18 PM
Sorry if this has been covered before but I've been unable to unearth any previous discussion. New to pastel and would like to explore the media a bit with a limited pallet. I've seen the post on 6 Unisons (plus a grey) and was wondering if any could recommend what the equivalent (or near equivalent) would be in either Sennelier or even NuPastels (for throwing in a backpack along with a sketchbook).

Thanks in advance.

JPQ
03-21-2014, 07:47 PM
Sorry if this has been covered before but I've been unable to unearth any previous discussion. New to pastel and would like to explore the media a bit with a limited pallet. I've seen the post on 6 Unisons (plus a grey) and was wondering if any could recommend what the equivalent (or near equivalent) would be in either Sennelier or even NuPastels (for throwing in a backpack along with a sketchbook).

Thanks in advance.

Why you limit these brands ?
I think none of subjects (not even single subject) is possible do anywy goodly with 6 colours. but i own one discontinued handmade one series which i think allows nice mixing range even few pastels. but they are mainly single pigment hues which is reason why they are little (not fully) expection i think...

mudfish
03-21-2014, 11:28 PM
If you want to limit it to one brand I suggest you get Rembrandts - medium hardness makes them tougher for toting than Senns, which can be crumbly and more useful all around than NuPastel, which are definitely hard. Plus price is excellent.

bgordo3
03-22-2014, 12:41 PM
Okay, so if i use Rembrandts, what would the equivalent colors be???

DAK723
03-22-2014, 01:30 PM
Okay, so if i use Rembrandts, what would the equivalent colors be???
What are the unison colors you are referring to? And, I agree with the previous poster, unless you are very experienced with pastels, using only 6 would be very difficult.

Here's a blog post by Michael Chesley Johnson that might interest you. He is using 14 sticks!

http://mchesleyjohnson.blogspot.com/2008/01/extreme-limited-pastel-palette.html

Don

Studio-1-F
03-22-2014, 01:51 PM
What are the unison colors you are referring to?
It's probably from this post by Casey Klahn : http://pastelsblog.blogspot.com/2008/03/pastels-go-in.html

The six Unisons are Y-15, RE-9, Green-29, Y-10, BG-11 and A-30.

Jan

DAK723
03-22-2014, 02:13 PM
Thanks, Jan!

I think that an exact match of colors isn't necessary if you choose another brand. The colors chosen here basically cover the color wheel - you have a yellow, a yellow that is closer to orange, a red, a green, a blue-green and a very dark blue. You need the very dark blue to make your darkest values. The other colors should also have a variation in value. Note that he mentions doing a lot of blending. He also mentions that you might want to finish the painting in the studio where you can then add all sorts of other colors!

Don

Studio-1-F
03-22-2014, 03:12 PM
Bgordo3, you could spend time researching matching colors in other brands, or studying color charts compiling similar hue sets based on theory, or you could just --- wait for it! --- buy the Unisons. Twenty five bucks and away you go. :thumbsup: Just a suggestion!

Jan

bgordo3
03-22-2014, 09:38 PM
Thanks all. I didn't mention that I have a unopened set of 80 Senn half sticks - I'll just take a look at the Unison color chart and pick something close.

robertsloan2
03-25-2014, 10:49 PM
That is a cool idea. You could always pick out near equivalents from the Senneliers half stick set and put them with some foam in an Altoids tin. Something like that.

It's an interesting, slightly muted palette leaning toward light and with cool darks. I like having a choice in creating a limited palette, will pick out different colors depending on subject. But the plan of having six spectrum colors and a dark still works. I'd probably use a deep violet instead of the dark blue but it's the same sort of thing, blued shadows.