PDA

View Full Version : Indigo Entourage

davefriend
03-19-2014, 08:36 PM
This is my latest painting in the "Out of your mind" series. It is a 20"x16" acrylic on canvas called "Indigo Entourage".

The color palette I used is especially interesting to me. I have been using the blue-green-purple combination a lot but I added a pale olive green to those colors and thought it was a strange combination. I wouldn't pick normally but I really like how it works here, hope you do too!

All comments and criticisms are welcome. Thanks in advance everyone! :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Mar-2014/538491-indigo_entourage_20x16_800x633.jpg

birdhs
03-19-2014, 09:43 PM
This seems like it should be around 4 feet x 6 feet.... what an amazing amount of detail in just a 16x20!

I bought a tube of WN #37 sap green in a close-out bin and finally have discovered it does work well for subtle variations, especially with orange and yellow. Not so great on it's own but a great shader.

I still love your palette, and the green enhances it, but alas! I did not detect any red/orange...

YOu know I can find at least 30 critters and otherlywurld thangs in your canvasses, but I shall leave it to others to find their own

tanxfersharindiswidus

greggo

ChristyQ
03-19-2014, 09:47 PM
The colors work great! It looks so angry, and emotional, I like it!

Turkeytrot
03-20-2014, 05:48 AM
I like it! It reminds me of something like a riot in the looney bin, I mean that in a good way!

jimwhalen
03-20-2014, 06:07 AM
The light green works beautifully...a lot of winged creatures in this one, very cool addition.

DMSS
03-20-2014, 06:31 AM
Great palette and composition. The blues glow. I think the olive works very well.

olive.oyl
03-20-2014, 09:11 AM
Yes, olive always works well. :wink2:

You know, I have no idea how you paint like this - controlled with outlines and yet, totally free and spontaneously looking. To me, its a very satisfying balance. And here's something weird that I'm going to say about the colors but this is what I'm thinking...All the chakras have colors associated with them and the upper chakras are green for heart (love), indigo for throat (communciation), silver or gray for brow (insight) and white for crown (bliss). It seems you've gotten them all in there in some way AND with some angel/spirit figures to boot. I'd like to know what YOU were thinking when you were making this one?

Namaste, Mr. Friend!

Ishka Baha
03-20-2014, 09:16 AM
This is incredible.

artbymdp
03-20-2014, 09:29 AM
Hey Dave, I agree with olive.oyl. There is such an allegorical overtone to all of your paintings, I wish I knew what you were thinking. They keep getting better.

mihaela
03-20-2014, 10:05 AM
I also very much enjoy your style of painting, I have seen it evolve and this piece is one of my favourite. I love the depth you created, the wonderful movement, the elegant lines, the choice of coulours. I think the olive green was a nice addition. I wish I could have seen your process in this piece, you definitely know how to draw with a brush, very nice!

Trier
03-20-2014, 10:34 AM
The olive looks like it belongs, to me anyway.

The fine lines within the swirls of paint are very interesting to me.

Regards,
Trier

Katie Black
03-20-2014, 04:10 PM
The olive works beautifully!...in fact, it all works beautifully, I'm impressed with your consistency, they just seem to get better and better.

davefriend
03-20-2014, 07:50 PM
This seems like it should be around 4 feet x 6 feet.... what an amazing amount of detail in just a 16x20!

I bought a tube of WN #37 sap green in a close-out bin and finally have discovered it does work well for subtle variations, especially with orange and yellow. Not so great on it's own but a great shader.

I still love your palette, and the green enhances it, but alas! I did not detect any red/orange...

YOu know I can find at least 30 critters and otherlywurld thangs in your canvasses, but I shall leave it to others to find their own

tanxfersharindiswidus

greggoThanks Greggo, there is a lot of stuff floating around in there, I know. Until it was finished I had not noticed the maiden in the center surrounded by all the attendants of her entourage ...and that's how I stumbled on the title. Don't know if everybody will see it the way I did but then that should increase the interest (I'm hoping)!

The colors work great! It looks so angry, and emotional, I like it!Christy, I'm always interested and sometimes surprised by what kind of attitude vibe people get from viewing my paintings. I wonder if maybe the sharp or pointy elements in there contribute to it or is it the images that seem to come out for you that do it? Thanks for sharing your reaction Christy.

I like it! It reminds me of something like a riot in the looney bin, I mean that in a good way! Turkeytrot, I am almost rolling on the floor with that riot in the looney bin comment. It may end up as a title some day, if you don't mind and if I can mate a future painting to it! Thanks Turkeytrot!!

The light green works beautifully...a lot of winged creatures in this one, very cool addition. Jim I do think there are some wings flapping around. I am fascinated by wings and feathers if you gage the number of times they show up in this series. Thank you Jim!

Great palette and composition. The blues glow. I think the olive works very well. David I was thinking the blues were too bright in the photo until I looked at the painting in the light and there it is about as bright as in the photo and it is a beautiful shade especially when framed next to the adjoining colors that make it glow. Thanks for your thought David!

Yes, olive always works well.

You know, I have no idea how you paint like this - controlled with outlines and yet, totally free and spontaneously looking. To me, its a very satisfying balance. And here's something weird that I'm going to say about the colors but this is what I'm thinking...All the chakras have colors associated with them and the upper chakras are green for heart (love), indigo for throat (communciation), silver or gray for brow (insight) and white for crown (bliss). It seems you've gotten them all in there in some way AND with some angel/spirit figures to boot. I'd like to know what YOU were thinking when you were making this one?

Namaste, Mr. Friend! I should have known that Olive is always welcome ...Olive! Your observations are very interesting to me especially since one of the main premises of this series is to paint without thinking. I know that is probably impossible in the absolute sense but I strive to have a focus that is not on painting a thing but letting my mind be in a responsive mood to what is being painted and just go with it ...if that makes any sense to you? I also know that, through this series, things like butterflies, birds and angelic images will often become part of the scene as well as sometimes more scarey images of dragons, gargoyles or worse get in there too. Thanks for taking time to share your very though provoking observations Olive!

This is incredible. Thanks very much Nikki! BTW, I love your new name ...that's a great one!!

Hey Dave, I agree with olive.oyl. There is such an allegorical overtone to all of your paintings, I wish I knew what you were thinking. They keep getting better. Oh thank you Michael. I would love to know what it all means also. Sometimes I can read a story out of the finished painting that makes some sense and other times it is really all quite fantastical!

I think about a lot of things during my sessions and most of them are just subsurface conversations that go on while my brush is busy transferring color and shapes onto the canvas. I said earlier that I try not to think about what I am painting while I am doing it. Also I do a lot of bouncing back and forth various meanings of philosophical, theological, political and social concepts as well as the normal contemplation of my navel subjects that will accidentally stumble into that riot in the looney bin mind of mine! Thanks for checking out what's going on with the paintings!

I also very much enjoy your style of painting, I have seen it evolve and this piece is one of my favourite. I love the depth you created, the wonderful movement, the elegant lines, the choice of coulours. I think the olive green was a nice addition. I wish I could have seen your process in this piece, you definitely know how to draw with a brush, very nice! Mihaela, you have given me several very kind compliments, thank you! I have been thinking for months that I want to find a way to record the process visually so that you can see the painting being built from start to finish ...but haven't done it yet. Thanks for your kind words mihaela.

The olive looks like it belongs, to me anyway.

The fine lines within the swirls of paint are very interesting to me.

Regards,
Trier I get interested in how those swirls too and how they get where they get and that they seem right after that. The fine lines are sometimes a challenge because they are the product of both outlining and laying other colors up to them - so they will have a sometimes interesting variance to them. Thank for your thoughts and I'm glad you like it Trier.

The olive works beautifully!...in fact, it all works beautifully, I'm impressed with your consistency, they just seem to get better and better. Thank you Katie, for me it is always a surprise! I don't know why exactly ...but I am glad to see that they are not just a one-off fluke and it fuels my hope that there will be more to come ...better ones, I'm hoping?

abstractca
03-20-2014, 08:10 PM
wow
what a lot of detail put into this!
I really like the blues
wonderful job!

davefriend
03-20-2014, 11:42 PM
wow
what a lot of detail put into this!
I really like the blues
wonderful job!Thanks very much abstracta :wave:

Jody Schmidt
03-21-2014, 12:25 AM
What a stunner. I usually click on the most recent post whenever I hit the Abstract and Contemporary not knowing what I'll find...
And, this maenad hair meets angel wings, shaken up and stirred, greets the visitor.
This is top notch!

davefriend
03-21-2014, 01:31 AM
What a stunner. I usually click on the most recent post whenever I hit the Abstract and Contemporary not knowing what I'll find...
And, this maenad hair meets angel wings, shaken up and stirred, greets the visitor.
This is top notch! Is that an Ed Mcmahon "Here's Johnny" or the Jack Nicholson version? I like what you said either way and I guess the "top notch" should clue me in! :lol:

I hope you are right because I think I will be shopping galleries (after I get further in this series) to see if I can interest at least one who will be as committed to this series as I am.

Thanks for your input Paul! I really appreciate it :thumbsup:

trufflecat
03-21-2014, 11:33 AM
Wow, Dave, this is a really good one. The colors work very well.

davefriend
03-21-2014, 10:12 PM
Wow, Dave, this is a really good one. The colors work very well.Thank you Susan, I am happy you like it! :)

idylbrush
03-22-2014, 12:04 PM
Exquisite. There is nothing extraneous and every brushstroke has a reason for being there. Complex and elegant.

davefriend
03-23-2014, 02:06 AM
Exquisite. There is nothing extraneous and every brushstroke has a reason for being there. Complex and elegant.Thank you Howard, I value your observations so this means a lot. :)