PDA

View Full Version : Paint Along 11 Spring 2014

Johannes Instructor
03-16-2014, 03:30 PM
Paint Along 11 with Johannes Vloothuis

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Mar-2014/135220-IMG_1769.jpg

Follow Johannes' steps with other students in a relaxed non formal studio environment. Strengthen
your painting skills with 4 hours of painting fun each Saturday from March 22 to April 5. He will start
a painting from scratch and finish it in real time while you watch and if you want you will be able to
complete your own art creation as well by painting along. During the class you will receive verbal
techniques, color combinations, professional secrets, and instructions to guide you along the way.
If you miss a part of the class or cannot make it one day, don't worry, the classes will be recorded
and available for download at no extra cost so you miss nothing. One demo will be in oils, another in
watercolor and another in pastels. 12 hours of top quality art instruction. Johannes is an official
instructor for the publishers of Northlight books and The Artistís Magazine will reveal his professional
secrets!

TIME: 1:00 to 5:00 PM EST (The class may extend more than 4 hours)
DATES: 3 Saturdays: March 22 to April 5
$18.99 To Register:
http://www.northlightshop.com/paint-along-with-johannes-vloothuis

If you do not get a video link right after you pay email us your receipt
[email protected]

mickisew
03-16-2014, 04:18 PM
Hi Johannes: Purchased and registered for PA 11. I look forward to next Saturday and beginning anew!

Have a nice week.

Micki

ToskaFromAlabama
03-16-2014, 11:03 PM
Hi Johannes: Purchased and registered for PA 11. I look forward to next Saturday and beginning anew!

Have a nice week.

Micki

ME TOO!

HazelP
03-17-2014, 02:15 AM
And me

Jacdesusbielle
03-17-2014, 08:43 AM
Oh la la ! And me !!

Alta Imp
03-19-2014, 10:16 AM
Registered and really looking forward to painting this unusual size to see what we are going to do with a typical street scene to make it interesting. Have been busy catching up on past paint alongs from at least a year ago due to time restrictions..only a couple more half finished ones on the floor now..so am happy to see this smaller sized one as well.
Barb

mickisew
03-19-2014, 01:25 PM
Registered and really looking forward to painting this unusual size to see what we are going to do with a typical street scene to make it interesting. Have been busy catching up on past paint alongs from at least a year ago due to time restrictions..only a couple more half finished ones on the floor now..so am happy to see this smaller sized one as well.
Barb

Barb: You are doing much better than me. I have WIP's all over the place - some will be revisited; some with be resurfaced; some will just "be". I so enjoy the instruction and being with people of like interest. I need to clean up this room in preparation for Saturday. Fortunately, the sketch is on canvas - ready for action. See you Saturday.

Micki

Artz54
03-19-2014, 03:16 PM
Looking forward to Saturday's class. Jo is an awesome artist/teacher. The live class and interaction with fellow artists is inspiring.

ToskaFromAlabama
03-20-2014, 11:14 PM
Oops, I forgot. I will be gone for most of the day Saturday. I may have to wait for the download.

Jo, I am curious about how you will handle the building in the background, as it has very straight lines. How do you plan to make it non-symmetrical? :clear:

Toska

chickadeedee
03-21-2014, 05:36 PM
I am all signed up too and cannot wait for the class. It is always the highlight of my week. I have many photos just like this of places that I have been so it will be very interesting to see what Jo does with this one. Talk to you all on Saturday.
Dee (Diana)

mcbru
03-21-2014, 07:23 PM
I love my Saturday's when Jo is in the house!!!!! Signed up and excited to listen and participate.

Johannes Instructor
03-22-2014, 11:07 AM
Oops, I forgot. I will be gone for most of the day Saturday. I may have to wait for the download.

Jo, I am curious about how you will handle the building in the background, as it has very straight lines. How do you plan to make it non-symmetrical? :clear:

Toska
Trees blocking one side of a symmetrical shape works quite well.:)

Sienna black
03-23-2014, 06:57 AM
Well it was a long day yesterday and it has been a long time since I was able to actually have the time to paint a long with you Jo.

This is painted completely in Acrylics on a 8x16" canvas. I mostly paint in acrylics and I am able to blend with them . I use no mediums except water. It us a matter if getting used to them.

Sonia Palik

www.facebook.com/Art.by.Sonia.Palik

Jacdesusbielle
03-23-2014, 07:36 AM
Your painting is gorgeous Sonia ! Congrats !

LadyMadonna
03-23-2014, 08:05 AM
Very nice Sonia !

Sienna black
03-23-2014, 08:49 AM
Very nice Sonia !
Thank you. Do you know where Jo took the reference photo?

desthers
03-23-2014, 02:17 PM
Very nice Sonia. I also like acrylics. I can spray the surface with water and blend for a long time; even here in dry Utah.

LadyMadonna
03-23-2014, 05:30 PM
This is my rendition of the small town from Saturday's webinar. I enjoyed the process very much and look forward to each and every class with Johannes. I always learn something valuable to further my art.
Ps I hope it does not look sloppy ! I need to get some good small brushes !

mickisew
03-23-2014, 05:38 PM
This is my rendition of the small town from Saturday's webinar. I enjoyed the process very much and look forward to each and every class with Johannes. I always learn something valuable to further my art.

I like your interpretation, Donna. You know snow! :)

New brushes - all sizes - sounds like a plan!

Hugs, Micki

desthers
03-23-2014, 05:46 PM
Donna, like your soft blending. Looks like they just had a large snow fall.

Sienna black
03-23-2014, 06:27 PM
Your painting is gorgeous Sonia ! Congrats !

Thank you so much.

Sienna black
03-23-2014, 06:29 PM
Very nice Sonia !
Thanks Ladymadonna

Sienna black
03-23-2014, 06:30 PM
Very nice Sonia. I also like acrylics. I can spray the surface with water and blend for a long time; even here in dry Utah.

I usually blend with dry brushing. For me, I just love acrylics.

Spudisle2
03-23-2014, 06:50 PM
Looks wonderful Sonia . Was not able to paint along so looking forward to the video.

Jacdesusbielle
03-24-2014, 11:46 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2014/1067432-image.jpg
My rendition for last Saturday class. I enjoyed the subject and painting it. Thank you Jo. I continue to learn with you all along and it is a great pleasure. Did mess up with the handrail but all the rest was a pure joy. Thanks again !

Johannes Instructor
03-24-2014, 06:41 PM
Well it was a long day yesterday and it has been a long time since I was able to actually have the time to paint a long with you Jo.

This is painted completely in Acrylics on a 8x16" canvas. I mostly paint in acrylics and I am able to blend with them . I use no mediums except water. It us a matter if getting used to them.

Sonia Palik

Way to go! Well done!. This was not easy but you pulled it off.

Johannes Instructor
03-24-2014, 06:43 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2014/1067432-image.jpg
My rendition for last Saturday class. I enjoyed the subject and painting it. Thank you Jo. I continue to learn with you all along and it is a great pleasure. Did mess up with the handrail but all the rest was a pure joy. Thanks again !
Also well done! Wow seems like a difficult subject favors some of you more!

Johannes Instructor
03-24-2014, 06:45 PM

Donna subdue your orange walls and the painting will work.

Johannes Instructor
03-24-2014, 06:45 PM

Donna subdue your orange walls and the painting will work.

Johannes Instructor
03-24-2014, 06:46 PM

Sonia Palik

Way to go! Well done!. This was not easy but you pulled it off.

Sienna black
03-24-2014, 11:07 PM
Thank you very much.

painterted
03-25-2014, 06:22 PM
Great subject Joe, looking forward to next Sats. painting.

ted

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Mar-2014/909312-P1010008.JPG

Johannes Instructor
03-25-2014, 07:00 PM
Great subject Joe, looking forward to next Sats. painting.

ted

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Mar-2014/909312-P1010008.JPG
Wow!

painterted
03-25-2014, 09:35 PM
Thanks Joe, that means a lot to me.

ted

Jacdesusbielle
03-26-2014, 05:00 AM
Also well done! Wow seems like a difficult subject favors some of you more!
Thank you Jo for your nice comment. It means a lot to me !

Jacdesusbielle
03-26-2014, 05:01 AM
Very good job Ted !

Rosemarie
03-26-2014, 10:55 AM
Lovely painting, Ted!

mickisew
03-26-2014, 11:51 AM
Ted - Wow and Wow from me!

Micki

Alta Imp
03-26-2014, 12:12 PM
Wow way to go everyone, love the great renditions. Really enjoyed last Saturday's class, thanks for the always great learning lessons Jo. 8X16 oil on hardboard.

Barb

mickisew
03-26-2014, 12:47 PM
Sonia, Barb, Ted, Donna - all who have uploaded a photo here and on our FB Group - great job! I always miss commenting on someone's painting, so I will make it all-inclusive saying I enjoy view all your paintings. Now, to finish mine. :-)

Micki

Sheri Hammond
03-26-2014, 02:25 PM
I used pastels on this painting, it was a lot of fun. Great class as usuall Jo I am looking forwaqrd to next Saturday.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Mar-2014/678462-P3250925_edited-2_2.jpg

ToskaFromAlabama
03-26-2014, 03:49 PM
Great job Ted. I always like your work. I love the way you and others have interpreted the photo. Congrats.

Toska

ToskaFromAlabama
03-26-2014, 03:52 PM
Barb, Great job with the color and atmosphere. I feel cold looking at it.

Toska

Johannes Instructor
03-26-2014, 07:24 PM
I used pastels on this painting, it was a lot of fun. Great class as usuall Jo I am looking forwaqrd to next Saturday.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Mar-2014/678462-P3250925_edited-2_2.jpg

Another well done painting! What is going on here??? Seems like Urban scenes favor the artists who have posted this week.

Johannes Instructor
03-26-2014, 07:26 PM
Wow way to go everyone, love the great renditions. Really enjoyed last Saturday's class, thanks for the always great learning lessons Jo. 8X16 oil on hardboard.

Barb

Ted if you gray those greens in those evergreens you will not need to harmonize them in other areas.

Clarky
03-27-2014, 12:04 AM
Hello Ted, What an incredible work in water colour, you just get better and better - I've watched your work for a long time and I just want to congratulate you --- as Jo has said WOW!

Warmly,:)
Robyne

Clarky
03-27-2014, 12:05 AM
Hello Ted, What an incredible work in water colour, you just get better and better - I've watched your work for a long time and I just want to congratulate you --- as Jo has said WOW!

Robyne

Clarky
03-27-2014, 12:05 AM

Robyne

Clarky
03-27-2014, 12:10 AM
Hello Ted,
I'd like to join with Jo in stating WOW for your water color - you just get better and better. This painting is a delight. Congratulations!
Robyne

Clarky
03-27-2014, 12:11 AM
Hello Ted,
I'd like to join with Jo in stating WOW for your water color - you just get better and better. This painting is a delight. Congratulations!
Robyne

Clarky
03-27-2014, 12:15 AM
Big glitch with the posting this time --- when I'd click on Submit Reply I had a page which said something was not working on that page and to Refresh. I did that twice only and then gave up as nothing appeared, and now I see the post 5 times. I hope Ted gets the picture!
Robyne

painterted
03-27-2014, 12:27 AM
Thanks Joe I'll do that, what do you think of a mauve glaze? Just a light one.

ted

Johannes Instructor
03-27-2014, 09:37 AM

ted
It will get too dark if you glaze. I would scumble mauve. Scumbling allows for lightening or color shifts without darkening.

Johannes Instructor
03-27-2014, 09:37 AM

ted
Wait Ted. I got the wrong painting. The comment was made for Improv. Nevertheless your painting also has greens that will be hard to harmonize if left as. Maybe I would give it a light glaze of burnt sienna. But you will be compromising the freshness of color. Maybe it should be left as is.

Alta Imp
03-27-2014, 11:33 AM
Thanks Jo, I picked up on your comment on my green trees and will tone them down them down as you suggest. I think Ted's w/c is fabulous and his green trees are not as solid, have some grays in them so I didn't initially notice the harmonizing of the greens like I did with mine until after you mentioned it. That green paint is a tricky color just trying to mix it let alone harmonize it in a painting so these are great lessons.
Thanks to Micki and Tosca as well for your comments!
Barb

painterted
03-27-2014, 10:04 PM
Thank you Jacdesusbielle, Rosemarie, nicki, Toska and Robyne for your nice comments.

Joe, that boat scene is going to be fun to paint, looking forward to that one.

Johannes Instructor
03-28-2014, 11:00 AM
Thank you Jacdesusbielle, Rosemarie, nicki, Toska and Robyne for your nice comments.

Joe, that boat scene is going to be fun to paint, looking forward to that one.
Yeah the idea is to partially block the house behind to downplay it and it does not hover above the boat and compete.

mickisew
03-28-2014, 11:48 AM
Hi Johannes: Ready for tomorrow and will practice with pastel (sticks) today to warm up.

Thank you for posting the April 5 reference and drawing early. It will be a challenge, but no pain - no gain. I only speak for myself. LOL I will probably approach this one in oil. Will think about it Sunday or after - one painting at a time. :-)

Micki

Rosemarie
03-29-2014, 05:10 PM
Thanks Johannes for todays paint along. It was a great session!!

I wanted to go back to the beginning of the paint along but the video starts first half way through. It seems we lost the first part when Live stream "hick-uped"

I wonder what colour your pastel paper had, somethin grey?

desthers
03-29-2014, 07:51 PM
Sheri love your perspective, wish I could do pastels. Ted another great watercolor. Johannes picks the best subjects, I always love snow scenes.

Jacdesusbielle
03-30-2014, 06:21 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2014/1067432-image.jpg
Considering I am not able to draw a line, straight or not, and that I am very bad at perspective, I had a hard time with the drawing in itself. My homemade surface was a bit too gritty as well .... I was on this bridge last August and was very glad to try to paint it. Thank you Jo for choosing this subject and thank you for this wonderful class. I am too busy for chatting but listen to everything you say. Each time you are laughing at something, I leave the full screen and have a look at the funny remark. What a great family we are !

Jacdesusbielle
03-30-2014, 07:36 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2014/1067432-image.jpg
Considering I am not able to draw a line - straight or not - and perspective is not my fav, I had a hard time to do the drawing in itself. I was happy with the subject for I was on this bridge last summer and wanted to paint it - or try to paint it.... Thank you Jo for choosing this. Your painting of it is fabulous. I am too busy for chatting but I don't miss a thing you say during the class. I even check the laughs you have to see the funny remarks ! See you next Saturday !

LadyMadonna
03-30-2014, 11:55 AM
This is 12 by 16 on the smooth side of Canson. I was surprised how much pastel I was able to get on this simple paper.
On to next week's challenge !

Sheri Hammond
03-30-2014, 05:35 PM
This is pastel on mi tiennes wiyh pan ,pastel penciles, and sticks, the sky was a lot of fun to painthttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2014/678462-P3290933_edited-1.jpg

Alta Imp
03-30-2014, 07:37 PM
Started out drawing on a too dark color of gray pastel paper so did a night scene of the bridge on it later. Only other color I had was light sand so did the paint along with that but felt it was too washed out looking as I couldn't get another layer of pastel on. 12X16 Canson Mi-Teintes (not touch). Fun trying this scene.
Barb

Jacdesusbielle
03-31-2014, 03:37 AM
Started out drawing on a too dark color of gray pastel paper so did a night scene of the bridge on it later. Only other color I had was light sand so did the paint along with that but felt it was too washed out looking as I couldn't get another layer of pastel on. 12X16 Canson Mi-Teintes (not touch). Fun trying this scene.
Barb
Like your two versions Barb. Good work and nice to look at !

Alta Imp
03-31-2014, 11:48 AM
Thank you Jacdesusbielle, appreciate your nice comment ...looking at the night scene now with fresh eyes, there are way too many sq inches with nothing happening, lots of clones and stacking. If one could only remember all of Jo's nuggets while painting!
Barb

Rosemarie
03-31-2014, 11:57 AM
No problem, Barb. You were just too quick posting your painting. You can stilldo changes and then post again1

sherrysherman
04-03-2014, 09:25 PM
Pastels (stick) on Uart, 8x10

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2014/616112-golden_gate_bridge_rev2_800.jpg

Rosemarie
04-04-2014, 12:29 AM
Lovely, Sherry!

start123
04-04-2014, 03:29 PM
I bought this one too

LadyMadonna
04-06-2014, 05:00 PM
Not being a watercolorist , I did yesterday's reference in oils 12 by 16. I needed to simplify. I created my own world based on the photo but I realize it looks quite different.( perhaps I yearn for springtime ). Another workshop we had last summer came to mind and I painted the house the way we did in that one.

Borntobeanartist
04-07-2014, 10:35 AM
Oh I can not wait to see the recording of the last class! I had to go to the Susquehana River to help friends that Saturday so I missed it! I am attaching the last two I did from the past class. I so enjoy these Jon! Thank you so much for sharing your talent!!!! :clap:

Jacdesusbielle
04-08-2014, 06:57 AM
Oh I can not wait to see the recording of the last class! I had to go to the Susquehana River to help friends that Saturday so I missed it! I am attaching the last two I did from the past class. I so enjoy these Jon! Thank you so much for sharing your talent!!!! :clap:

Love both of your paintings. Are they pastel ? Difficult to see on a screen. Nice works !

Borntobeanartist
04-17-2014, 11:03 AM
Love both of your paintings. Are they pastel ? Difficult to see on a screen. Nice works !

The one of the village is oil and the the bridge is pastels. Thank you for your kind remarks