PDA

View Full Version : wip, work in process of distruction

saje
03-16-2014, 11:02 AM
this piece has more cutting and less a preemptive displacement of materials. The cutting discards will result in blocks on the base. Drawings are primitive since I am 3d, but they work. I use an old granite table for a draw and wipe surface area.

any questions please feel free to ask.

saje
03-16-2014, 11:04 AM
some shape and form seen. this is a very "cutty" piece

saje
03-16-2014, 11:07 AM
this piece is dedicated to my wife and all of those whom face losing your self image to the body breakdown of disease. She has MS and is confined to a wheel chair.

birdhs
03-16-2014, 12:38 PM
This is so moving.
I cannot imagine how you "see" this in advance,
but I am so happy you shared this with us.

Your work is always very strong, both visually and emotionally

tanxfersharinwidus

greggo

Trier
03-16-2014, 12:53 PM
I know where you are.

Great post. Thanks for the step photos.

Regards,
Trier

Katie Black
03-16-2014, 01:34 PM
I enjoyed watching the whole process, its very moving, especially in the last image where she is "looking at the shadow of her former self"

Spottters
03-16-2014, 01:48 PM
Yes love seeing the process and your sharing the meaning in such a specific way - very moving

mihaela
03-17-2014, 04:59 PM
such an emotional piece, beautifully executed!

saje
03-17-2014, 06:18 PM
thank you every one for your comments. the original concept that came to mind was just the person sitting, reaching for their past. when I was reviewing the concept with my wife she said how it felt like her. I have tried twice previously to do a sculpture that convey our emotions but they failed. this one just blended into the personal touch. when I see images I develop them using symbolisms, contrast and "what if". while I am working on the pieces I still ponder and just look for the meaning to develop with a certain amount of ambiguity as available conception. sometimes I just have to make a piece because that is how it came out. those are the pieces I have posted but never really touched a personalized nerve.??

The original concept had blocks underneath the base of the piece to symbolize the blocks of experience that develop with our being. Our art works are blocks that we can build upon for what we are becoming.

I now feel I want to downsize the blocks presence under the base (pic below). the piece does need to have the wheelchair side lower. the meaning here is that even with the weight of our past it still is lighter than the coming of our future. this will give it an inbalance that has its own meaning. The blocks could be tossed to give the symbolism of disarray but the piece has enough of that with the pulling away of the person. just my mind wandering with you!

thought?

Ishka Baha
03-20-2014, 09:14 AM
Phenomenal. I am speechless.

saje
03-21-2014, 07:25 PM
final pictures, piece complete. This piece has more cutting marks left on than regular. I did more sawing on this piece than any other also. the piece was colored using a mix of brown/black iron oxides with a hint of yellow. 16"x5"x7", all one piece of plaster. title "was'ing am".

any questions/comments welcome, thanks! jim

Ishka Baha
03-21-2014, 09:15 PM
This is too moving for words.

saje
03-21-2014, 09:41 PM
thanks, Ishka, thanks much! it still gives me a shiver.