PDA

View Full Version : Colourfix paper ink coming through Sennelier oil pastel

mariemarie
03-15-2014, 05:14 PM
Bonjour!

First, I want to tell that I am very happy to have found you. I am a new member also new to oil pastel and oil sticks and I sometimes feel a bit lonely with my new challenges!
Like most of you, I am experiencing with many papers. Most surprising is that the ink of the Colourfix paper came through the oil pastel (Sennelier). I used the dark blue sheet to paint a citrus, an orange and a lime. The same happened with mi-teinte Canson (Burgundy + Black) with a peach and a stainless bowl.
I read many posts and never saw anything about this. Everyone seem satisfied with both papers. Would you have any recommendations, please?

Marie

Please excuse my English; I do not have many occasions to practice.

mudcat3
03-16-2014, 04:51 PM
Your problem isn't the color bleeding from the paper but the transparency of the oil pastels you are using. Colors in the yellow ranges are nortorious for being transparent and not doing very well on dark backgrounds.

Flycatcher10
03-17-2014, 09:35 AM
Hi Marie, so nice to meet you! Welcome to Wetcanvas and the oil pastel forum, we love having people join in :wave:

Mudcat3 is right about the transparency - Senneliers have a good number of oil pastels that are transparent (yellows, some browns, etc.), as a result the surface will show through. As you'll also find they have a fair amount that are opaque like white, cobalt blue, black, etc.

Senneliers carries symbols (whether transparent, opaque, etc.) on their sticks and paper fold-out listing of colors. You can go onto their website to find this information as well.

This link shows the Sennelier color chart and symbols - link was located under Oil Pastel Talk section. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7487925&postcount=86 it should answer your questions.

Please share your work with us in the gallery, would love to see your paintings.

mariemarie
03-17-2014, 10:33 AM
Good morning Mary,

Thanks for your welcome!

Now I know what to do with the chart that was is my nice wooden box of Senneliers other than use it to place an order to replace a stick in a far-off future :rolleyes:.

From now on, I will use the symbols to guide my choices of colors when I use colored papers like Colourfix and Mi-teinte. That should significantly reduce the number of paintings in the garbage! Well...I hope it makes a difference. That is the reason why I can not provide you with an example of a painting where the ground came through.

Without knowing this fact, I had noticed that some colors were «lighter» and it bothered me. So, I was wondering if I should buy a small set of Neopastel to compensate. I already have a set of 25 Holbeins plus maybe 10 from open stock.

Flycatcher10
03-19-2014, 07:25 AM
Neopastels and mungyo artist quality oil pastels are both very soft with good qualities and can be purchased by the stick as open stock, letting you pick and choose the colors you want. I use these two interchangeable with both Senneliers and Holbeins.

Also before you through out a painting that you did on Mi-Teintes try scraping it clean with a straight-edge razor works beautifully. If it doesn't come off in the first try lay alight layer of OPs down and scrape again.

mariemarie
03-20-2014, 02:44 PM
Good afternoon Mary,

Thanks for your reply. Buying colors by the sticks is a very good idea. I have a friend who goes to San Diego for work at the end of April and he offered me to go to Blick if he has spare time. They carry Neopastel. We do not have them by the sticks here and ordering from Montréal is a nightmare!

Anyhow, I made some tests with some Sennelier «transparent» colors and dark blue Colourfix paper: one layer of OP;let it set up 24 hours; another layer; let it set up 24 hours. And it would need a third layer! You all were right: the problem is the Senneliers, not the paper. Conclusion: I need some Neopastels!:)

I also appreciate very much your advice on «how to rescue a painting with a razor blade».

Flycatcher10
03-23-2014, 12:02 PM
Marie, one of the great things about the transparent Senneliers - is that when you layer a transparent color over oil pastels already put down, the transparent color sort of acts like you're glazing (as you can do with oil paints). Or by using the transparent color it's a way to break up colors so the viewer can see multiple colors of OPs that have already by laid down.

There are good uses for the transparent colors, consider them as having a supportive role in a scene.

Perhaps I'll do a WIP using a razor blade, so you'll be able to see the effects that scraping can have in a painting. Later this week or next - thanks for asking.

mariemarie
03-23-2014, 07:47 PM
Good evening Mary,

Thanks to you, I see the light! You are a good teacher; I would enjoy very much following your WIP. It would be an excellent occasion to learn. There is so much to discover more or less «by accident».

I understand what you mean about the transparent colors. I will approach them differently now. I will certainly be less nervous and more open to integrate them in my paintings as a positive addition.

Haven't you gone out of your way and taken the time to write to me, I would have just continued to avoid the transparent colors and be disappointed.

You made my day!

GOSH
02-19-2015, 06:19 PM
When using a dark background, if the effect you want is to have your fruit shine, paint the whole orange in white first, let it set, and then add the orange. Suggestion.

lalflen
02-25-2015, 11:15 AM
Good evening Mary,

Haven't you gone out of your way and taken the time to write to me, I would have just continued to avoid the transparent colors and be disappointed.

You made my day!

Welcome to Oil pastels Marie! And yes, Mary is a gem and has contributed significantly to our knowledge base!

mariemarie
02-26-2015, 07:03 PM
Hi Linda!

Thanks for your «Welcome» but...this is a year old post :)

Lots have changed!

Cheers,

Marie